SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soon to be incorporated in the Volvo all-electric XCs.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks for the post.

This further convinces me that Polestar is all about SAFETY; same as Volvo.
After Tesla recently beat Volvo in crash test results, I am sure it shook Volvo's core - without their SAFETY moniker they have nothing.

Electrification (low center of gravity) is inherently safe; and add in preventing the battery from ever exploding - bullet-proof safety!

Performance-oriented and being Green (recycled materials) are just the sub-plot. Volvo and Polestar are SAFETY to the core.:bow:

·
Registered
7,304 Posts
Battery is as sensitive to damage as fuel tank. It is about life protection, no car is exception.

I wish they produce a S60 based 360HP ICE model but unfortunately no go.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the post.

This further convinces me that Polestar is all about SAFETY; same as Volvo.
After Tesla recently beat Volvo in crash test results, I am sure it shook Volvo's core - without their SAFETY moniker they have nothing.

Electrification (low center of gravity) is inherently safe; and add in preventing the battery from ever exploding - bullet-proof safety!

Performance-oriented and being Green (recycled materials) are just the sub-plot. Volvo and Polestar are SAFETY to the core.:bow:
The only place where Tesla has appeared to look better in crash tests is the pole test. The Model S door appeared to be more rigid than the Volvo S60. But this is misleading because of the Volvo SIPS system, which causes the seat to move away from the side impact, and crush the center console-- like it's a crush zone.

Watch the S-60's seat move inward at 2:10, away from the impact.

The Tesla Model S's seat is stationary at 1:59.

And the Model S is still having trouble with the IIHS's small overlap crash test, even after 2 attempts.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Have they tested the new S60 yet? It should do significantly better than the old S60 body type.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks for posting; I guess Thor's Hammer isn't all that functional given the Marginal illumination rating.

They really need to fix that child seat anchor issue as well; Acceptance ain't so good.

Also, the S60 is NOT a top pick in the class:
https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/v/class-summary/midsize-luxury-cars
This is extremely disappointing....

Volvo simply needs to maintain it's SAFETY superiority - to keep their brand in tact. "Marginal" and "Acceptable" don't cut!
Nor does "Good" -- they need to be Superior and a top pick if not the #1 Top Pick!

·
Registered
7,304 Posts
It is not about the Thor's hammer. It is about the LED bulb inside and how much you want it to glare the drivers coming on other side of the road. There are many bright white head lights on road nowadays. They are more glaring than old warm white headlight.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have to say I feel as though that the IIHS has messed up on the headlight ratings. My wife's 2016 XC60 headlights (not Thor's hammer) are some of the best I've ever seen, and they're rated 'marginal'. Nor do we ever get flashed by oncoming traffic for high beams when on low beam. And I've listened to a lot of reviews on the 2016 XC90, and 2 reviewers specifically made a point of night time driving to show how excellent the headlights were. I've never seen reviewers do that with any other car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts