SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, ive been trying to hunt down a suspension rattling noise on bumps, its defiantly coming from the front end, ive replaced the ball joints, control arm bushings, end links, ive put in subframe bushing poly inserts, struts have been replaced along with spring seats, and upper strut mount bearings, i hear this noise at any speeds over bumps, oh i also changed the upper engine mount to poly one, and i am changing the transmission torque mount too, i did notice that have what i think might be a pogo effect but i havent lowered my car... any suggestion what to look at next or a solution to the possible pogo effect?

thanks in advanced

·
Registered
557 Posts
More info on the rattling noise on bumps please...

Is it like you hit a bump (thud) and then have a vibration that trails off and gets smaller?
Or is the ratrtling noise contstant?

·
Registered
234 Posts
..., control arm bushings, end links, ive put in subframe bushing poly inserts, struts have been replaced along with spring seats, and upper strut mount bearings, i hear this noise at any speeds over bumps, oh i also changed the upper engine mount to poly one, ...
if u changed the struts, then u might need to do a SUM re-calibration...usually that re-adjusts the dampening forces on ur struts.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More info on the rattling noise on bumps please...

Is it like you hit a bump (thud) and then have a vibration that trails off and gets smaller?
Or is the ratrtling noise contstant?
The noise is definetly when you hit a large bump on one side, the front end checks out when its jacked up side to side, left right and up down and with a bar under the tire lifting/jerking up there is someplay between the strut.mount and top most washer, that 4 sided nut under it was ground shorter to rid any play when the struts and mounts were replaced

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Remove the drop stop washer at top of strut and make sure the cross nut (spring seat nut) is still tight if that hasn't already been done. Often a bit of rubber on the spring seat inner sleeve will let everything tighten down and after a bit of driving the cross nut will be loose.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
how much space is there on the strut cap like in this picture?

I have learned that in that space, there you can see if your strut mounts are bad or not.

driver side, i have to get into this side because i hear a noise too. you can see the gap is bigger on this side VS pass side

pass side

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Remove the drop stop washer at top of strut and make sure the cross nut (spring seat nut) is still tight if that hasn't already been done. Often a bit of rubber on the spring seat inner sleeve will let everything tighten down and after a bit of driving the cross nut will be loose.
Just had a look, one was tight the other one was loose thanks :), its tight now but I don't think that's the culprit its coming from both sides maybe sway bar bushings? But they seem fine.

I definitely don't have anywhere near that big of a gap so it shouldn't be that, the mounts are 2 month old at the most,

Hopefully this isn't a trip to the stealership :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well to keep everyone up to date, I found one spring not seated properly and when I disconnected the end links I found they are bad, so I'm going to replace them now, does anyone know where I can get some beefy ones ipd has some who else?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome thanks :) but good news no more rattle, I'll probably order some beefy ones along with sway bars

Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Burg-How does this show if the mounts are bad? I just looked at mine and both sides seem to have the same spacing as your drivers side. Is this a tough fix?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
if the gap is too much or too little , also look inside it and see if you see it cracking around the base. this would mean the strut mount is collapsed.

too much gap on pressureized shocks, non adjustables means the mounts are failing

too little on adjustable shocks like ours means it might have collapsed already. a good way to see it is when you bounce on the front shocks and that mount has ecessive movement it may be bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts