SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today as I was pulling my car out of the driveway, it was hesitant to reverse without a lot of gas pedal engagement. Drive and reverse then started to have no effect at all. If I put it in drive, apply throttle, it will eventually catch and shoot the car forward, making a horrendous noise and BANG against the engine mounts.

Right now, all of the gears are essentially park. The car is immovable, I have no neutral, reverse, drive, just park. The shifter itself moves freely and changes the gears via the cable with no issue.

These are classic PNP failure symptoms, correct?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looking like this is either a PNP failure, internal mechanical failure, or solenoid failure at this point. It would suck if it's the solenoids, but at least that's fixable without removing the transmission.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Transmission sounds toasted!

I replaced the PNP, then put the front of the car in the air. Horrible grinding sounds ensued when put in D or R. The car moves now - whatever was binding it up finally broke loose in the transmission. However, when it rolls, it bucks and shakes and makes metallic sounds.

I guess I'm in the market for a replacement now. Talk about a spontaneous failure.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
drain your trans fluid and post what it looks like

sorry to hear! at least it won't be too hard to find one in a pick and pull yard

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

sorry to hear! at least it won't be too hard to find one in a pick and pull yard
Don't waste your time, it's HISTORY

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
well duh, but it's at least satisfying to know for sure...and draining the fluid takes all of 10 seconds.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

There is actually one sitting on the ground from a 99XC at my local yard. I might just have to snag it. Can't wait to see the magnetic drain plug, that's for sure!

Such an odd failure, I've never read of this. It seems like a tooth broke off in the differential. When the car rolls it skips, then "catches."

Any idea what it would cost to take a known good used transmission to a shop for a trans rebuild? $500? Less? There would be no labor involved with my car, I'd install it myself.

Also, can I use a FWD transmission or will the FWD axles not mate to my AWD wheel hubs? Or will the AWD axles work just fine in the FWD trans?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Parts cost more than that
(and I had a similar failure. Solonoid code came out of nowhere and it completely packed in, no drive forward or reverse, after 100 miles)

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Christ, I had no idea a rebuild was that much. I wish I could just replace the solenoids and be done with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts