SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a huge mistake i opened the coolant to check coolant level for somereason i forgot to close it.... Stupid me .... After that i closed the hood and drove the car for 4 km and at that time tempreture started to raise till got to red line .... I stopped the engine quickly and waited four hourse till it got cold .... I am trying to start the car did not start !!!!!!!!!! I can see the engine is rotating but it wont start i resetted the ecu many many times but it did not work at all

The problem is that i dont yrust the dealer here in saudi arabia and its just 6 cars in saudi arabia like mine!!! And no other workshop to check... This car is my babe ... I cant imagine i loose it this way

Even its 86000 km , 2005 M66 6 speed manual , evolve exaust , 3.5 cat .
Fmic vivaperformance , enhanced k24 turbo from viva , rica software ... Its a rocket ....
Omg i cant belive what i did please tell me that idid not blow my engine ...,.l

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
If you caught it heating up than you should be good. As long as it didn't stall or go boom. This is no different than when the heater core goes and the car loses coolant. Refill the coolant, replace the lid and it will re-pressurize. Let it sit for a little and go back at it but make sure fluid levels are normal and there is no leaking/puddling underneath the vehicle.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
If you caught it heating up than you should be good. As long as it didn't stall or go boom. This is no different than when the heater core goes and the car loses coolant. Refill the coolant, replace the lid and it will re-pressurize. Let it sit for a little and go back at it but make sure fluid levels are normal and there is no leaking/puddling underneath the vehicle.
Yeah this makes sense and all, but what I can't seem to figure out is why his engine won't start at all?

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Yeah this makes sense and all, but what I can't seem to figure out is why his engine won't start at all?
Catastrophic protection?? Oh wait, nvm it doesn't have that.......right Patrick ;) hahaha

I would pull engine management fuses and/or disconnect the battery....pummp the brake pedal 3 times and let the car sit 30 mins....that will properly reset EVERYTHING.

If that doesn't work than I would say the flailing fluid shooting out from your reservoir shorted out something important which would require dealer attention. That or you did indeed fry your engine.....but that seems extremely unlikely as I outlined above this is no different than when a heater core goes.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Definitely check the oil. If it's milky like prienzo said, it's not good. That means you did something bad to the engine.

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts
When the engine is cranking from the starter, is it cranking any faster than normal.

I would not suspect damage from such a short distance, however the R uses a multilayer elastomeric coated head gasket and it is not forgiving of overheating.

Even with a blown head gasket, I would expect it to start, and run very poorly. Does it try to start at all, or just crank over with no firing?

Also you mentioned the gauge being in the red zone. The gauge is non linear, and anything within the engines designed operating temperatures, is a straight up needle on the temp gauge. If your gauge was in the red zone, it did indeed get hot. Was there a message on the display?

·
Registered
606 Posts
There have been others on here that had their engines overheat and it did not end well in any of them. It seems like our engines are super sensitive to overheating and by the time the gauge is going up it is too late, which seems ridiculous and defeats the purpose of the gauge. Hopefully it is something simple like the computer keeping it from starting or the spark plugs getting fouled up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks alot all your replies appreciated

Hello All ,

The Oil is not milkey , the car it seems normal when its trying to start and it is not faster than normal , it does not start at . everything seems okay but not starting after at all.
I took to someworkshop i have no other options they tried to make it work but as they said the cylinder head got affected because of the engine overheating , in the workshop they said that engine doesnt hold pressure under the cylinder head so this is why the engine doesnt start . they already started disassembling the engine cylinder head and today night i will see hopefully no damage under the cylinder head as well .

GUYS what i am telling the car had no water at all , how come the computer trip did not say anything related to coolant in the past when the coolant level gets litle low it just tells you stop now safely and check coolant , this is one point . the second point is that i stopped the car when the tempreture needle started to go upper than normal , it got into red while the car stopped in the edge of the road kept raising for 3 or 4 minutes till got to red while the engine is shutted down .

one more thing the computter did not tell anything related to overheating !!!!!! you know why i stopped before i see the tempreture goes up rising , because the car was not able to pull it self and the speed was getting lower even if i down shift the gear and pull throtle itt doesnt respond at that time i pulled over to road side and i was surprised that the engine tempreture needle started to rise !!!!!!

its all ahappened even before volvo car knows which is full of sensors to discover that anything in the car out .

i have two cars S60R 2005 ......and S60 2004 2.4 nonturbo.

Non R car is the perfect car i had ever drived not fast but the only thing i do to this car is changing engine oil and filters and changing brake pads from time to time 4 years till now more than happy with it .

The R one killed me every single day there is an alarm . everytime you fix a problem you get another one 1 year owning this car , all records in dealer since it got out from dealer . in a year changed 4 struts 4c which costs a lot of money , front Axels change ,Propshaf for the AWD, many many things i can remember as well ....it is fast nice car but for mintinance its like i should go to workshop chechup at least once amonth ..... started to think seriously to sell this car believe me i love this car till now but screwed my life i am busy guy i hate going to workshop and mintinance that MUCH !!! maybe i will go for M3 or M5 for funn and speedy driving and enjoying the power of the car better than S60R.

What happenned to thje engine is totaly my fault nothing wrong with the car i know its just me hahaha ....

Thanks guys i really like this forum as i get all the needed information from you guys in fast way :D thanks alot :) and really apreciated

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Bummer, most of us have a love-hate affair with our caRs. Let us know what the shop finds.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
The gauge needle is not accurate. It only goes to the red zone when the car has reached the overheat zone. The computer should have popped up a message about the coolant being low, stop the engine immediately. It sucks that the engine got damaged in such a short period, but I think that with the Saudi heat, a tune, and no coolant, the engine temps would have risen to crazy amounts within seconds. Given the 3-4 minutes you drove, it was too hot.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
In the old days when engines and heads were still made of iron, the thing to do for low or no coolant situations was to pull the car over and with it still running pour coolant/water in. I was always told that the worst thing to do was to actually turn the engine off with no coolant in it as this when the temps spike and the damage is likely to occur - warped heads usually.

What I don't know is if this is still good advice...... Feedback anyone?

I did have a similar situation as the OP in my 03 LR once and did the above. No damage resulted. The heads were aluminum in that instance.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can i use cylinder head of b5254t2 instead of using b5254t4. Is it doable i mean is the core engine is the same in these engines just different turbos or what ???

·
Registered
635 Posts
Can i use cylinder head of b5254t2 instead of using b5254t4. Is it doable i mean is the core engine is the same in these engines just different turbos or what ???
If I'm not mistaken, these cars have continuously variable valve timing where the others do not. Not sure if the heads are compatible. I'm gonna say no, but its possible I suppose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dear Bimmerd00d,
What if i took the old cam valves and all needed parts and connect it to the new head , will it work ???

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Today i got the worst news ever that my cylinder head is totally damaged and no way to fix it at all or skim it ... So i will search for used cylinder head that may match the r ones hopefully ...all r cars in saudi arabia 8 cars !!!!! Mine is the first to be destroyed :(. ... Today going to a yard where all totalled cars dissassembeled and get sold as used parts so if a cylinder head of another engine like b5254t3 (this one hard to find )or b5254t2 (this one i belive it can be found ) to be used as cylinder head for b5254t4..... Now i can say that car may cant be fixed cause the dealer does not sell the engine parts alone they sell the engine as one part for around 20,000 $ hahahaha ***** volvo dealer milion times... If i did not fix it i will through thr car and buy a bmw instead of this stealers we have in our countries ...

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Well, I'm curious to why your low coolant light didn't turn on (or you didn't see it)... Which would have been the first alert.. You managed to ignore it (or it wasn't working) That **** is like a flashlight in the dark being shined in your eyes, at least for me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts