SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have a good rec for a car seat in the R? I swear, that backseat is TINY. And I can't get rid of the car... or the baby ;-) so, what fits best in such a way that the passenger is not knees in the airbag status? Also, tips on protecting the leather from the car seat are helpful too!

·
Registered
491 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have a Proride that I will be putting into the R for the first time tomorrow. Forward facing will not be your issue, rear facing is what gets you.

Also, my wife found some great seat protector things. There is like rubber on the bottom and rayon on the top. Will photograph tomorrow.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have Eddie Bauer seat protectors from target under both car seats in my SR. They have worked well do far. And the previous poster was right; forward facing will not be an issue. It's the rear facing time. Sorry but the passenger wi be knees to dash for a few months.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
By far (and I mean BY FAR) the best car seat with the smallest footprint is the Diono Radian RXT convertible child seat. You can use it from 5 lbs. up to 120 lbs. (the only car seat rated that high). I was able to fit 3-across, with room to spare, in a BMW 335i. Never tried in a S60R, but there literally isn't a car seat out there with a smaller footprint.

As for seat protector, Diono sells them as well.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Child seats

Check this thread for my suggestion on seat protectors.

Got-child-seats-in-your-R-Try-these-seat-protectors
The prince lionheart protectors are great. You can also remove the back and just use the bottem when they transition to booster seats. As far as the car seat placement, when we had our first child we put the rear facing carseat in the middle position in the back seat. We've always used Graco car seats for the kids. That way the handle and front end landed between the 2 front seats and we didn't have to move ours up to accomodate it. Not quite as convenient to put the seat in but not a big deal and allowed us to sit comfortably. Once we had the second child that wasn't an option any longer as that spot wasn't usable with another car seat back there.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I use the prince lionheart protectors as well, they're great. As others have said, the front seat clearance is only an issue when the seat is rear facing. In my case, my wife is 5'1" so she still has plenty of room with the infant car seat behind her and her seat moved up accordingly. I'm sure different seats take up more or less space; we use a maxi-cosi mico and it really isn't too bad.

·
Registered
45 Posts
When we need to put Sebastian into the R, we put the car seat into the MIDDLE of the back seat. It really helps. Not only is there more room for his legs, it helps to keep his feet off the backs of the front seats. He is a TALL 3 year old and it works just fine. We keep him in the middle of both cars actually.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have two forward facing seats (one for each car so I don't have to keep installing/ un-installing them). They both fit in the R no problem. I'm 6'1", so I put the full size seat on the passenger side. However, my 7 year old sits behind me in the booster seat with enough room. When the kids are in the car, I only have to move my seat up about 3-4", which isn't too bad. Definitely put a blanket between the seats & the leather.

SebastiansDad: does the hump between the two seats cause much shifting for the child seat?

·
Registered
373 Posts
The prince lionheart protectors are great. You can also remove the back and just use the bottem when they transition to booster seats. As far as the car seat placement, when we had our first child we put the rear facing carseat in the middle position in the back seat. We've always used Graco car seats for the kids. That way the handle and front end landed between the 2 front seats and we didn't have to move ours up to accomodate it. Not quite as convenient to put the seat in but not a big deal and allowed us to sit comfortably. Once we had the second child that wasn't an option any longer as that spot wasn't usable with another car seat back there.
Awesome! I'm getting a couple of those. I saw these too: http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Lionheart-Backseat-Kick-Black/dp/B006JINB1M/ref=pd_sim_ba_2

kick pads that protect the backs of the front seats!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
By far (and I mean BY FAR) the best car seat with the smallest footprint is the Diono Radian RXT convertible child seat. You can use it from 5 lbs. up to 120 lbs. (the only car seat rated that high). I was able to fit 3-across, with room to spare, in a BMW 335i. Never tried in a S60R, but there literally isn't a car seat out there with a smaller footprint.

As for seat protector, Diono sells them as well.
As an owner of two of these puppies, I agree. When my daughter was an infant we have a Graco infant seat but when she outgrew it, she went into a Radian (at the time they were Sunshine Kids) rear facing. In my VR she sat rear facing in the middle using the seatbelt, no LATCH. She turned two and we flipped her around so she's front facing, still in the rear middle, using the seat belt and the overhead strap to the middle anchor in the cargo area.

I can put two of these RXTs side by side in the rear and still close the door comfortably. I imagine you could do three if you wanted to. There's more rear shoulder room for passengers if the seat is rear facing but if front facing there's still enough to short to medium trips. It's a tall seat and blocks some rear visibility, and when rear facing the recline angle was pretty wide so it would rest against the front seats. Didn't cause any damage though.

These seats have steel plates in them and feel super solid. I recently had the pleasure of taking the seat cover off completely to wash it and it was fairly easy. The seat cover can't officially go in the washer or dryer so that's a minus, but otherwise I really have nothing negative to say. Recommended!

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
the official Volvo seat fits like a glove. keep in mind it is more of a booster than a kid cocoon.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
+1 on the those seat mats that go under the seats. in addition to putting those in i first put a blanket folded in half all the way across the bottom. not only does it help protect the leather it helps catch anything they drop. i also put towels behind the seat backs and head rests to help there as well. (w/ seats forward facing)

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have an 11 and 5 year old. (both girls)

The 5 year old went home from the hospital in the R.

The biggest problem with car seats in the back of the R is not leg room, its the deep buckets in back. It makes fitting the base for the punkin seat near impossible. No way to get it level. I found it easier to not use the base station (which allows quick in and quick out) for rear facing. Instead I used the seat belt and the temp straps behind the passenger seat.

After the punkin seat, and they switch to front facing car seat, it starts to get better. There are some small footprint ones that fit in the seat well. You use the rear seat belt and the rear deck anchor. get it set and dont take it out for months. Just make sure you put a mat under the seat. Our leather is soft, and you will leave indentations.

There hardest phase is when you move to a "booster" seat. Again, our deep buckets in the back make getting the booster to sit level next to impossible. The booster moves all around as you try and buckle them in. And the width of the seat belt system is narrow, making the booster become a tight fit to latch while itting. It just doesnt work well.

Rear leg room has never been an issue for eithe child. And the passenger seat is in a normal position for front leg room.

the biggest "tip" i can give you is this. Teach your kids how to use the center cup holder. Dont let them throw juice boxes or sippy cups around, they all leak. You have to be a nazzi with your kids to not drop cookies or gummi bears. If my kids drop something, i have them trained to tell me right away. Nothing worse than a 3 week old gummi working into the seat or carpet.

If they bring food into the car, dont let them get out of the car without the wrapper. Its impossible to not allow food at all. So you just have to instill good habits.

Again, my kids are now 5 and 11. the 5 is still in the booster. my back seats still look very clean. you have to get the kids to respect daddies car.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WOW so much help you guys!!! I am looking into these seats and also possibly getting rid of the R. One of the saddest moments in my life.. but a mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do... sigh.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Put the babys base in the middle, I have 2 kids and that what I did, that way you still have room for an extra person in the back....( I have my infants in the middle while my two-year old daughter sits behind the passenger)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Put the babys base in the middle, I have 2 kids and that what I did, that way you still have room for an extra person in the back....( I have my infants in the middle while my two-year old daughter sits behind the passenger)
doesnt that leave little room for seat adjustment for both front seats? my husband is kind of tall and needs the seat back further which is why we usually have the infant seat behind the passenger seat and I just let him drive and i take the tiny foot room in the passenger seat because i am only 5'2

·
Registered
295 Posts
doesnt that leave little room for seat adjustment for both front seats? my husband is kind of tall and needs the seat back further which is why we usually have the infant seat behind the passenger seat and I just let him drive and i take the tiny foot room in the passenger seat because i am only 5'2
Maybe you should look into a different infant seat vs. a new car... I know my V70 has a bit more rear seat room, but my 5'1" wife fits with room to spare when the infant seat is behind her. We also just switched our 4 month old to a rear facing convertible as the infant carrier's seating position was upsetting her- most convertibles will save you about 4-5" of space vs. an infant carrier w/ base, and they usually are rated down to a 5 pound child. Something to consider. We comfortably drive my wife's much tighter S40 with the same setup, and have sufficient space (I'm 6'4" btw).

Don't give in to the typical American attitude, you don't need a mini van or suv with 2 kids!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts