SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2010 xc60 and is giving the message "engine overheating, reduce speed" then "stop engine". We already had the thermostat changed. But after watching some videos it seems that it may be a coolant temp sensor but so far we haven't been able to see where the part is. If anyone had that problem or knows where the sensor is...Thank you!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Instead of throwing parts at it, why don’t you drive around with a scan tool connected and see what the actual temperature reading is when it’s overheating?

Sounds to me like you haven’t ruled out the possibility of it actually overheating.

Current
2013 S60 T5 AWD Platinum
2010 S80 V8 AWD Executive

Past
2004 V70 5MT
2008 S80 V8 AWD

·
Registered
805 Posts
We already had the thermostat changed. But after watching some videos it seems that it may be a coolant temp sensor but so far we haven't been able to see where the part is. If anyone had that problem or knows where the sensor is...Thank you!
Which engine? 3.0-3.2 sensor is in the thermostat housing. And comes with the thermostat

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Instead of throwing parts at it, why don’t you drive around with a scan tool connected and see what the actual temperature reading is when it’s overheating?

Sounds to me like you haven’t ruled out the possibility of it actually overheating.

Current
2013 S60 T5 AWD Platinum

Past
2004 V70 5MT
2008 S80 V8 AWD

Current
2013 S60 T5 AWD Platinum

Past
2004 V70 5MT
2008 S80 V8 AWD
Which engine? 3.0-3.2 sensor is in the thermostat housing. And comes with the thermostat

View attachment 130030
looking for the coolant temperature sensor.

Current
2013 S60 T5 AWD Platinum

Past
2004 V70 5MT
2008 S80 V8 AWD
I did used the scan tool, and after it reaches high temp the fans don't go on, then they do after I turn the engine off.

·
Registered
384 Posts
looking for the coolant temperature sensor.

I did used the scan tool, and after it reaches high temp the fans don't go on, then they do after I turn the engine off.
Sounds like a failing fan control module. Very, very common.

Gates sells a replacement module. Volvo makes you buy the entire fan assembly.

Current
2013 S60 T5 AWD Platinum

Past
2004 V70 5MT Slicktop
2008 S80 V8 AWD Sport Pkg.

·
Registered
27 Posts
99% sure it's your cooling module as someone mentioned - it happened to me too recently. Volvo no longer sell it as a seperate part so you either have to fork out for the complete assembly (fans/module) or as they already mentoined buy the module from Gates in the US - cheap and DIY - one screw and a couple of electrical connections to unclip. Solved!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts