SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I decided to start stage 0 on my 98 s70 t5 and before I started I never had any problems but now after replacing spark plugs and spark plug wires I keep getting check engine light and the codes are for number 2 cylinder misfire and number 5 cylinder misfire. Why is this? The spark plugs I used are Ngk iridium, and the wires are some high performance 8.5mm I got online. I tried putting the old spark ug wires on and it still did the codes even though it never did before on the old wires. So I decided to go ahead and change the cap and rotor which didn't stop the codes either, do I need to take the spark ugs back out? Why do I do??????

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
It's been my experience that these cars hate Ngk iridium. Use OEM or Bosch Copper, gapped at .026 and your problem will most likely go away.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Agreed with Rsterns. Coppers produce (negligibly) more power anyway, they just don't last as long.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are they called Bosch copper or are the Bosch platinum the same thing? And so this should fix my problem? I also installed a boost guage at the same time but I don't think it has a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Bosch Platinums are Platinum. OEM Volvo plugs or (probably) NGK Coppers would do great.

Make sure the gauge is sealed at the connection to the gauge too, not just the engine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the oem spark plugs are copper too? How can I tell which cylinder is 1,2,3,4,5? Does it go left to right starting with one at far left?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
So the oem spark plugs are copper too? How can I tell which cylinder is 1,2,3,4,5? Does it go left to right starting with one at far left?
It's time for you to invest in a Chilton's or Haynes manual for your car. It will answer all of your basic questions.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Cylinder 1 is next to the timing belt.

Get rid of the plugs and get some OEM or Bosch Copper. Your problem should be solved. I was having misfire issues and it was old crappy plugs. Bosch copper were inexpensive and solved my problem.

If the problem does not go away then think about wires, cap and rotor.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for everybody's help. Oem Volvo reigns supreme. I took out brand new Ngk iridium spark plugs and high performance wires and put new Volvo plugs and wires and codes have finally stopped, everything back to normal. Will be sticking to oem Volvo parts for now on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts