SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys can ya'll help me decipher my latest issue....I think it might be my exhaust shield but I dont have a good enough jack to check myself....here are two videos where you can hear the problem....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOvnSsl6Eaw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzNqKau9o8M

I just uploaded them so they may not be ready right away but anyhoo the noise comes in during the second half of the video...

I have checked the brakes and it is not a seized caliper, nor does it seem to be anything under the hood...

I was thinking wheel bearing but I'm now thinking it is an exhaust shield or something...

Please let me know what you think!!:facepalm::eek:

·
Registered
594 Posts
rocks in the calipers ? or objects/rocks in the tire treads? just naming the cheap stuff first.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Does it only make noise when the car moves, or does make noise when you rev the engine and are in neutral? It kinda sounds like a exhaust leak with valve ticks.. At least the second video does.. When the person holding the camera tells you to go faster in reverse you can here the ticking noise get louder..

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does it only make noise when the car moves, or does make noise when you rev the engine and are in neutral? It kinda sounds like a exhaust leak with valve ticks.. At least the second video does.. When the person holding the camera tells you to go faster in reverse you can here the ticking noise get louder..
Yeah the ticking noise is an exhaust leak....I was telling my wife to drive faster...

It's a grinding noise behind the passenger side front wheel.....it only happens while moving not at idle or with engine rev.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Could be a wheel bearing. How many miles are on the car? I wouldn't take it to a shop just yet, do some simple diagnosis. Take off one of the wheels, push the brake pads bad so they are not contacting the rotor, and then spin the rotor. If it makes that noise then it's a wheel bearing most likely. Do this with each of the wheels and see what you come up with.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah my jack is the crappy scissor one the car came with, I just moved into the house last week and was planning on buying a floor jack.....thanks for the tip....It may be my e-brake...it did make a strange sound today....EBD is pulled....

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Check to make sure your tin heat shield that lines the drive-train tunnel isn't hanging and resting on your drive shaft. It will rattle around like that as it rubs on the turning shaft. Seen it on my car and a few XCs especially in corrosive climates. You'll probably need some large washers to put under the screws where it has torn or corroded away.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yeah my jack is the crappy scissor one the car came with, I just moved into the house last week and was planning on buying a floor jack.....thanks for the tip....It may be my e-brake...it did make a strange sound today....EBD is pulled....
if the ebd is gone check to see if you still have bolts w/washers holding up your heat shield where the ebd was.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Coolio. Glad it was simple!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts