SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<br> Just when I am hoping to get my transmission probelms solved! First I took the car to Cottmans they said $2800...said ok, fix it...he thought is was internal, ckutches or something..then 3 days later get a call...we have no-one qualified to fix your car, my workers quit yesterday...Picked car up moved to another transmission shop, this time a local not a chain shop..It has been 2 days he says for $150 I can get a used shifter from the junkyard, as your shift lock does not work! It has not worked for 2 years! That did not cause my transmission to fail! What the heck! they cannot diagnosis it!<p>Here's what happened....Driving home car was slipping then quit engaing into gear. finally could get car to extremely slowly limp home, as when the car ran more than one minute it would qit moving. Arrow light then came on, along with check engine light. Got car home waited a day thought about it, then went to step 2, ordered and replaced PNP Switch, still no good. Next I flushed transmission, put her in gear and off she went, not convinced it was fixed as I had a code which could have been 322, (but I cannot be positive) which has not returned. Car does have a small hop between 3rd and 4th gear, which is still there, but us running fine. Think I solved the problem? I surely don't want her to shut down on me on the highway. Cottmans was already to rebuild her, claiming there was surely an internal problem. What do you think?<p>any helpful ideas would be greatly appreciated! Also cleaned the fuel system with B&G...<p>It is a 1995GLT with 168,000 miles

·
Registered
248 Posts
Re: Please help with transmission problem (putz)

I dont know much about this tranny but I do know that my experience with Cottman's transmission was crap. I had my '97 Passat GLX VR6 auto trans rebuilt there... the transmission was never fixed correctly. it would slam into gear slip and then it finally gave out. It was rebuilt once again, which it did run better, but it wasnt the same, ever. I sold the car soon after. I'd never do a tranny rebuild again. If you have to buy a used tranny and have them install it, if that's your last resort. Or of course, like most of the gang here will tell you, swap in a 5 speed manual.<p>I hope your tranny is fine. From what I've read, it may be just the PNP switch.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Please help with transmission problem (TurboMoose)

Modern auto trannies are so complex now that Joe Schmo transmission repair person isn't qualified to repair them anymore.<br>Replacement is the only way to go mow

1 - 4 of 4 Posts