SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for any help with my build! I am having some CP pistons with Carrillo rods customized and balanced right now to fit into the Darton sleeves. I need to know who offers engine valves, springs, & retainers for a high hp S60 T5 engine (MTE emailed me that they can/will do 700hp). Any help would be appreciated! Plus, I need to know how much hp the stock cylinder head can handle.

For some info, I already have 1000cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, and a maual boost controller in waiting. It is a slow build, but I want to do it right and will be swapping this engine out for the stock R engine that I currently have with the mods in my signature.

Again, thanks for any help with this!

-Mike

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Manley Performance or Ferrea Racing.

Both offer Inconel's but Ferrea has some of the worst costumer support and never returns e-mails. I'd go with Manley.

You need to send in a fresh OEM Exhaust valve from the Volvo Dealer with your order.... or you could contact [email protected] or [email protected] and they both sell the Inconel sets.

Retainers can stay OEM to my knowledge. Springs can stay OEM, but you probaby want to buy fresh ones on the exhaust side, then have them cryo'ed and shot with Ceramic. I ran a BMW valve spring with a slightly higher spring rate. You need to get an engine shop involved to measure tenson when you start going that route.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Much thanks for the help on the valves, springs, and retainers! I'm copying/pasting your mods list and bringing it over to the shop that is building the engine and will probably be doing much of the same type of work. -http://kingsperformance.com/ Again, thanks for the info!

-Mike

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Good luck this sounds awesome!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Manley Performance or Ferrea Racing.

Springs can stay OEM, but you probaby want to buy fresh ones on the exhaust side, then have them cryo'ed and shot with Ceramic. I ran a BMW valve spring with a slightly higher spring rate. You need to get an engine shop involved to measure tenson when you start going that route.
Killer B,

I am looking at ENEM cams with springs to enable 8000rpms. What BMW springs did you use, who did they come from? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
The stock head (with better valves) should be able to support 800+ hp. Might be good to open up those intake and exhaust holes though :) Stock springs are fine unless you want to go over 7K RPM's, in which case ask someone else where to get them. I'm sure you could even have some made at a local spring manufacturer and find a local metallurgist who can harden them... You'd just need dimensions/hardness/etc....

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Not to be a debbie downer, but 800hp on the stock head? Not likely even with 1mm oversized valves you would still be taxing the flow rate, and get away with 650-700 at best and that is to say that you have taken care of all the ins and outs that are going to restrict you beyond 450-500 HP. My goals are at least 450 and as close to 500 as possible, using the IPD turbo. Later on down the road a larger turbo may be used to extract more, if possible but who knows. I love the R and am excited to see the fruits of this build once it is done.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Not to be a debbie downer, but 800hp on the stock head? Not likely even with 1mm oversized valves you would still be taxing the flow rate, and get away with 650-700 at best and that is to say that you have taken care of all the ins and outs that are going to restrict you beyond 450-500 HP. My goals are at least 450 and as close to 500 as possible, using the IPD turbo. Later on down the road a larger turbo may be used to extract more, if possible but who knows. I love the R and am excited to see the fruits of this build once it is done.
With the right snail 800 can be done. Not saying it will necessarily be the most reliable engine, but any engine over 400 hp with less than 3.0L displacement wouldn't really ever be considered reliable.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
With the right snail 800 can be done. Not saying it will necessarily be the most reliable engine, but any engine over 400 hp with less than 3.0L displacement wouldn't really ever be considered reliable.
I'm confident for a daily driver, and occasional light track / racing / autocross duty that a built R with proper supporting mods should be fairly reliable at the 450-500 bhp mark, but only time will tell.

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
Just out of curiousity, do they make stroker kits for volvo engines?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.