SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about keeping my 225/40/18 in the front, and putting some 255/35/18 in the rears. Any wheel gurus on here see any clearance issues? I'm running 18x8 wheels with a +40mm offset, KW coils and rolled rear fenders.

I know some of you have had some pretty aggressive wheel/tire set-ups and this isn't too wild, so I don't expect any issues...just wanted to be completely sure before I pull the trigger on new rear tires :)

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
One question. Wouldn't this mess up your AWD?

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
One question. Wouldn't this mess up your AWD?
My thoughts exactly. If your overall diameter isn't the same, I think you're asking for AWD troubles! I don't know how the wider yet shorter rear size will equate to the front, but I'd be careful.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I can't imagine affecting the AWD much since the overall DIA remains the same, even with a tad more traction in the rear.
Typically it depends on the tire you pick as well... However it is likely you'll have to role your fenders in the rear for sure. I'm running 225 in the rear and it touches ever so slightly. with 255 you can be sure you'll touch (assuming you are lowered...)
You are also going to be close on the inside but I can't tell you what would happen there. with 40ET it's better than Higher offset but still with 255 it's going be tight.
Hopefully someone else has the answer on that side of the wheel for you...

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apparently not. A couple of people on here have already confirmed that it won't pose any problems. The difference in diamater between the two tire sizes is only 0.1" anyway...not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't imagine affecting the AWD much since the overall DIA remains the same, even with a tad more traction in the rear.
Typically it depends on the tire you pick as well... However it is likely you'll have to role your fenders in the rear for sure. I'm running 225 in the rear and it touches ever so slightly. with 255 you can be sure you'll touch (assuming you are lowered...)
You are also going to be close on the inside but I can't tell you what would happen there. with 40ET it's better than Higher offset but still with 255 it's going be tight.
Hopefully someone else has the answer on that side of the wheel for you...
My fenders are already rolled and I'm on KW V1 coilovers spun all the way down. I'm looking to see if there is any potential interference issues with suspension components, etc. with the extra width. I have 225s all around right now, and they fill the front fender wells nicely. But as we all know, the rears always need something extra (spacers, lower offset, wider tires) in order to sit flush with the fenders. Plus, staggered setups just look amazing :)

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Interesting thread.
i find my OEM Medusa with 225/40/18 falken 912 is a bit heavy on the steering wheel. i run 17- 205/50/17 for winter is very light and comfortable steeing.

Is it possible to run my Medusas with 215/45/18 ? will this at least unload the heaviness of steering?

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Interesting thread.
i find my OEM Medusa with 225/40/18 falken 912 is a bit heavy on the steering wheel. i run 17- 205/50/17 for winter is very light and comfortable steeing.

Is it possible to run my Medusas with 215/45/18 ? will this at least unload the heaviness of steering?
Apparently 215/45/18 is the OEM size from Volvo. I have 18" Atreus rims that I will be throwing 215/45/18 onto this summer. I currently run 225/40/18.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Apparently 215/45/18 is the OEM size from Volvo. I have 18" Atreus rims that I will be throwing 215/45/18 onto this summer. I currently run 225/40/18.
Yea but oem wheels are 7.5 not 8

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Yea but oem wheels are 7.5 not 8
Yes, but he's (FutureGeneration) running OEM Medusas... I guess I was answering his question, and not the OP.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
That width and offset, even with extra poke of the tire, should be ok. I have 255's on the 9.5s and they are almost square on the tire so you can anticipate quite a bit of overhang on the wheels.

Have you thought about grabbing a wider pair of TDR's to run wider tires on?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That width and offset, even with extra poke of the tire, should be ok. I have 255's on the 9.5s and they are almost square on the tire so you can anticipate quite a bit of overhang on the wheels.

Have you thought about grabbing a wider pair of TDR's to run wider tires on?
That's the look I'm going for actually. Square tires in the front and a bit of overhang in the rear :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts