SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, perhaps there is someone out there who can help me understand how USB Media is supposed to work.

I have a USB hub with 2 usb drives, one for audiobooks and one for music. When I play an audiobook it works fine, playing each track in succession.

When I switch to music though, I turn on randomize as I seldom listen to an entire album track by track. However I seem to be unable to understand how this works. I navigate to an album select the track and press play. The track then keeps repeating itself, when I hit the forward button it starts the track over again instead of selecting another track at random. When I open the "Now Playing" screen, the randomize button is off, I touch it to turn it on, and then it turns off again. Then at some point it decides to play another track, don't know why, but it has moved on. Then I notice that it appears to be playing the same set of tracks over and over. I click on "Library" and there is a list of songs, but when I scroll through it the same songs appear a few times in the list.

I then read about the other Icon on the "Now Playing" screen for Gracenote. The owners manual says that turning this on will search your USB for similar genre, which, sounds OK, but I don't seem to be able to turn it off. I touch the screen icon and it goes dark, then just highlights itself again.

So at this point I am kind of confused.

Any help is appreciated.

Peter

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi Everyone, perhaps there is someone out there who can help me understand how USB Media is supposed to work.

I have a USB hub with 2 usb drives, one for audiobooks and one for music. When I play an audiobook it works fine, playing each track in succession.

When I switch to music though, I turn on randomize as I seldom listen to an entire album track by track. However I seem to be unable to understand how this works. I navigate to an album select the track and press play. The track then keeps repeating itself, when I hit the forward button it starts the track over again instead of selecting another track at random. When I open the "Now Playing" screen, the randomize button is off, I touch it to turn it on, and then it turns off again. Then at some point it decides to play another track, don't know why, but it has moved on. Then I notice that it appears to be playing the same set of tracks over and over. I click on "Library" and there is a list of songs, but when I scroll through it the same songs appear a few times in the list.

I then read about the other Icon on the "Now Playing" screen for Gracenote. The owners manual says that turning this on will search your USB for similar genre, which, sounds OK, but I don't seem to be able to turn it off. I touch the screen icon and it goes dark, then just highlights itself again.

So at this point I am kind of confused.

Any help is appreciated.

Peter
Hi Peter, do a search on here for (or this link may work):
USB Music - my solution works!

A rather lengthy explanation on how I got this to work properly, I use a 500GB SSD in each usb port 1 x music, 1 x podcasts, works for me...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Peter...
Further to my previous post, I found that Gracenote did NOT work well at all, I understand that it's about Gracenote NOT being "up to date" but I'm not sure. I don't use it at all. There is some info on here about Gracenote as well it may help you.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the pointer, but I don't believe that is a problem for me, as that is the structure of my files, and I have complete tag info including the album art. I don't have any playlist files as I don't use them.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Navigate to tracks. Select a track. Select random. Voila!
I use USB in my XC60 with thousands of tracks. Never an issue with random.
FWIW, the tracks are in hundreds of separate folders.

Make sure you don't press the button that links similar songs together (I can't take a pic of it right now, but it's on the "Now playing" screen, with the other controls).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, yes, that's the issue, I try to turn off the gracenote icon, but it just turns itself back on, strangest thing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I solved one problem, I went into media and turned Gracenote off. I do hate to disable things that are supposed to be features though.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Well, I solved one problem, I went into media and turned Gracenote off. I do hate to disable things that are supposed to be features though.
I gotta say that's very strange. I've been using USB sticks in all sorts of SPA cars and never had that issue.
Just for giggles, drop a few files on a different USB stick and try it out. Could be something in your files that's making it do that.
I had a few files that bricked my P3 stereo to the tune that I needed to restart the car every time. (it would turn off random, and then just brick the stereo)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
997 Posts
I turned Gracenote off. It makes a delay for certain things in the menu of tracks such as the a-z side markers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts