SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a 97 issue of cars magazine, I read that volvo was developping a new small platform with Mitschibusi, weach seamed logical, because S/V 40's are build alongside Charisma's at the Born factory, Netherlands.<P>Apperently, consolidation in the carr bussiness decided differently. Volvo is now owned by Ford, the Japanese company by Daimler Chrysler. <P>Back then, car magazine called the new small platform P1 (P2 being the platform for the S60, V70 etc). Now I can read that the new ford focus and mazda 3 will be build on the P1 platform. Thus this mean that these cars will be using the smaller Volvo platform instead of Volvo using a Ford platform. <P>Same goes for engines. I'm sceared that new fords, and in the more executive class, Landrover and Jaguar will use Volvo engines. This will mean that Volvo will use one of its unique selling propositions, namely their smooth, economic and durable engines (Volvo is according to me one of the best in this field, with BMW and Mercedes as rivals, far better than Audi/VW or any Japanese or amarican brand. <P>

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B200FT:<BR><B>In a 97 issue of cars magazine, I read that volvo was developping a new small platform with Mitschibusi, weach seamed logical, because S/V 40's are build alongside Charisma's at the Born factory, Netherlands.<P>Apperently, consolidation in the carr bussiness decided differently. Volvo is now owned by Ford, the Japanese company by Daimler Chrysler. <P>Back then, car magazine called the new small platform P1 (P2 being the platform for the S60, V70 etc). Now I can read that the new ford focus and mazda 3 will be build on the P1 platform. Thus this mean that these cars will be using the smaller Volvo platform instead of Volvo using a Ford platform. <P>Same goes for engines. I'm sceared that new fords, and in the more executive class, Landrover and Jaguar will use Volvo engines. This will mean that Volvo will use one of its unique selling propositions, namely their smooth, economic and durable engines (Volvo is according to me one of the best in this field, with BMW and Mercedes as rivals, far better than Audi/VW or any Japanese or amarican brand. <P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Born is history, this is the last year model for the X40 in Born.<BR>Volvo is building a new factory in Ghent and Ford has a location there also.<BR>P1 is the new S40/V50 and the new Ford Focus.<P>S40/V50 are mostly converted to 5 cylinders with a 220 HP 2.5 "T5" top model and AWD as an option.<BR>The Ford Focus models are mainly 4 cylinders.<BR>The platform is nothing more than the predefind space and pickup points a production facility can handle.<BR>The XC90 is based on the S80 and this is why Volvo can't fit a 5 speed AT with the T6 at the moment because the "platform" dimensions do not allow a wider model to be build.<P>The Mazda rumor started not so long ago but as I have understood it is more a Ford/Mazda thing and has nothing to do with Volvo, probably another Ford plant.<P>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Short reaction:<P>I'm flemish and was born in Ghent, so I can tell you the following:<P>* in Ghent, there is already a Volvo factory since the mid sixties. The plant will be enlarged to build other types than the S60 (V70 being moved to Sweden).<P>* the Ford factory is in Genk (being one letter difference with Gent in the dutch/flemish spelling) and is about 200 km to the east (near the German Border) and also very close to Born.<P>

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
From what I understand, here's some info on the subject.<P>The factory where the current S/V40s are built was built by both Volvo and Mitsubishi, though Volvo sold their part of it to Mitsubishi last year.<P>The new chassis has been developed from the start to play home to the 40/50 series in addition to the Mazda 3, and Ford Focus. <P>Recent rumors suggest it will also play home to a new Ford now referred to as the "Capri", a sports coupe. Because of that, a C40 and maybe a Mazda MX-3 wouldn't be a tough thing to pull off.<P>Even more recently CAR suggested that the XC50 (more SUV like than the V50) will be built alongside the next Land Rover Freelander replacement in the UK. <P>All of these models will use the new small platform in one form or another if rumors are correct. It also appears that the platform has been developed to fit the volvo I5 motor and also Haldex AWD, currently found in the S60 AWD.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts