SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have already dipped my wheels in matte black. I did it mostly to cover up some nasty curbing on my wheels and just to see what my black car would look like with matching wheels and grille. I like and and think i will keep it that way over the winter, then get my wheels refinished in the spring back to the original bright silver color. Next weekend I will be installing new end links, so i figured while i had the wheels off the car i would spend a little extra time and redo the spray on the wheels to make it look more professional. I have 6 cans of the glossifier and I believe I will add that this time. I think i am also going to attempt to cover my plastic molding pieces in flat black first and then glossifier after. I have no idea how this will come out, but I am thinking there is a possibility it could be an easy alternative to painting my trim pieces (which i still haven't gotten around to). Has anyone tried to do this to their 2004 R unpainted molding pieces? If so how did it come out? Just curious to see if anyone else has tried this or thought about it...

·
Registered
57 Posts
The black moldings on my 2004 were plastidipped. Looks phenominal

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I have already dipped my wheels in matte black. I did it mostly to cover up some nasty curbing on my wheels and just to see what my black car would look like with matching wheels and grille. I like and and think i will keep it that way over the winter, then get my wheels refinished in the spring back to the original bright silver color. Next weekend I will be installing new end links, so i figured while i had the wheels off the car i would spend a little extra time and redo the spray on the wheels to make it look more professional. I have 6 cans of the glossifier and I believe I will add that this time. I think i am also going to attempt to cover my plastic molding pieces in flat black first and then glossifier after. I have no idea how this will come out, but I am thinking there is a possibility it could be an easy alternative to painting my trim pieces (which i still haven't gotten around to). Has anyone tried to do this to their 2004 R unpainted molding pieces? If so how did it come out? Just curious to see if anyone else has tried this or thought about it...
Post a picture of the gloss black wheel when done. I've only done matte finishes and want to see the gloss on the R.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
I did my wheels matte black a little while ago for the same reason, I love the new look!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I did my wheels matte black a little while ago for the same reason, I love the new look!

I'll second the matte black pegs - i love it. the wheels stay cleaner from brake dust for a lot longer.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts

Thirds on the dipped wheels :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
the glossifier creates a semi gloss not a high gloss. in this pic the main grill is plasti-dipped with glossifier and the sash and the R are plasti-dipped with no glossifier.

how many cans did you use to dip the wheels?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I used 6, you could probably get away with 4 tho.
I can confirm that. You can get away with 4 and still have peelability!

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
I can confirm that. You can get away with 4 and still have peelability!
I used 4 cans (one per wheel) however I ordered 2 more to do another few more coats and especially hit a few spots that are a little thin on one of the wheels.
I'm going to wait until I swap to my set of snow tires though before I do it because I'm lazy, hah! (I take them off the car to spray them, even though there is a method to do them on-the-car).

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I used 4 cans (one per wheel) however I ordered 2 more to do another few more coats and especially hit a few spots that are a little thin on one of the wheels.
I'm going to wait until I swap to my set of snow tires though before I do it because I'm lazy, hah! (I take them off the car to spray them, even though there is a method to do them on-the-car).
I just took the wheel off, its easier to get a good clean coat on the wheel I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
you can definitely do them on the car if you take necessary precautions (which will take longer than to remove the wheels). What you need to do is mask off all the brake components. Or you can take a pizzabox and cut it out to go over the brakes like I do when I do the touchup. What you'll need to do is make a slot where you can slide the box through from the back and put it over the rotor.

The coats will have to be thinner also because you don't want it dripping. After each coat dries, I suggest moving the car so that the wheel turns 90 degrees. That way you get more even coats. Seriously though, if you have jackstands or spare wheels, just take the wheels off and do all 4 at the same time. About 2 hours with 20-30 minute dry time between coats is good. I usually put 4-5 coats on. That way the peelability is great.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
the glossifier creates a semi gloss not a high gloss. in this pic the main grill is plasti-dipped with glossifier and the sash and the R are plasti-dipped with no glossifier.

how many cans did you use to dip the wheels?
You should take the R out and dremel away the background, or just get rid of it altogether. Would look much sharper.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
The guy who plastdipped his whole car did no preparation. He even plasti dipped the exhaust tips lol. I think his would look 10x better if he peeled the emblems, hood grille, etc. Why would you want the car all one color? May as well have left the headlight and taillights covered with the look he was going for.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
The guy who plastdipped his whole car did no preparation. He even plasti dipped the exhaust tips lol. I think his would look 10x better if he peeled the emblems, hood grille, etc. Why would you want the car all one color? May as well have left the headlight and taillights covered with the look he was going for.
You can easily peel those off. Maybe he did end up peeling it.

But I see varying shades on the hood and rear trunk lid/bumper. It looks like he didn't do even coats on those parts.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
He intends to peel it off. That's the beauty of Plastidip, you don't need to cover for overspray, just hit everything and peel off the spots you don't want ie; lights, badges, trim etc.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I run 17" pegs for winter and 18" on the summer wheels. When my 17" going on now before the winter i will try to do something special. What about yellow on the left side and blue on the right side? Or one blue and one yellow on each side. Haha would give som looks. And keep my pegs fresh even after one more winter. :)

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I run 17" pegs for winter and 18" on the summer wheels. When my 17" going on now before the winter i will try to do something special. What about yellow on the left side and blue on the right side? Or one blue and one yellow on each side. Haha would give som looks. And keep my pegs fresh even after one more winter. :)
I wanted to dip my pegs bright blue or lime green( make ions jealous). I just haven't had the time.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts