SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our new V50 has a plastic clip on the drivers windshield and I'm not sure what it's for. Is it a document holder for bridge passes and things of this nature or is it some type of shipping piece that should have been removed?

I can post pics, but don't have the car right now.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Re: Plastic Clip on driver side of windshield (NOR_CAL_V50)

Funny, I was trying to remove it from my car when I got it, before my cousin stoped me. Yes, it's meant to hold parking passes, etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Volvo say's that is made for holding maps... But it takes out too much of the front visibility... I rather use it for holding my campus parking pass

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Re: Plastic Clip on driver side of windshield (lrosales)

Yes it's intended use is for parking receipts etc. It makes it a PITA to clean the windshield. I removed mine the first day. Remove the A pillar and it will just snap out of it's clip. That way you can always put it back in if you find a need for it.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Re: (lrosales)

The clip is also used by the service staff at the dealer that I do business with to hold the tag that identifies the service order number (instead of those magnetized hats). They got rid of the magnetized hats after some customers' cars were scratched by the hats.

·
Premium Member
39,289 Posts

Quote, originally posted by NOR_CAL_V50 »
Our new V50 has a plastic clip on the drivers windshield and I'm not sure what it's for.

It is there so that you can accumulate all your parking and (especially) speeding tickets.
Just so to remind you of your contributions to your local police department...

Yannis

·
Registered
87 Posts

I have the same clip on the 2000 S80 that I am currently driving.

It is great for parking receipts.

It helps to avoid the unfortunate experience of getting fined for not displaying a valid ticket in other vehicles because the ticket lying on the dash was blown away by wind from an open window or a draft caused by by the door opening and closing.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Re: Plastic Clip on driver side of windshield (kumitenidan)

Volvo has had that for eons in their cars it's nothing to new to us, just all of you that have come into the light. Ha ha ha
I don't know why anyone would waste time removing it????

dagovna http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif

·
Registered
677 Posts
Re: Plastic Clip on driver side of windshield (dagovna)

Our 99 S80 has this on the left side even though the car is right hand drive
Still we have one on the right now too.

·
Registered
110 Posts

The plastic clipis absolutely invaluable.

Since most non-residential parking in the United Kingdom is "pay and display" it is the perfect place to put the little ticket that shows when you parking time expired. Keeps it there so you don't end up with those tickets all over the car.

Also useful for using holding the base pass for a military base whil eon the base and required to be displayed.

A little feature, but very, very valuable to me. When the one broke on my last Volvo I really missed it.

I am thrilled that my new V-50 will have one.

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts
Re: Plastic Clip on driver side of windshield (park_uk)

Quote, originally posted by park_uk »
When the one broke on my last Volvo I really missed it.
They're not replaceable? I thought they just friction-fit in the gap around the trim...

Which is also to say they're easy to add.

Tom.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Re: Plastic Clip on driver side of windshield (tmtalpey)

It is very easy to replace (assuming that Volvo sells it as a separate part). I recently removed the A-pillar cover on my S70 and this clip is snapped on to the cover, nothing fancy. The cover itself snaps on to the pillar, so it should be sufficient to slightly pull the plastic off of it's position and remove/replace the broken clip

·
Registered
74 Posts
it's also good for holding transponders (for community gates at work or at home, or for paying toll on certain highways) so you don't have to stick strips of velcro on your windshield.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was told it was for holding Tax Disks in Europe. May be BS, but sounded logical. Said something about they had to be in a uniform place for cameras on parkways, etc. Who knows. Mason

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.