SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have been reading and lurking around the site for a few months. I am planning to buy a new 2016 XC60 T6 but I had some questions that I hope folks could help me clarify. I apologize in advance if questions are silly. I am newbie when it comes to Volvos.

1) T6 AWD Drive-E vs T6 AWD: The dealer has said that I have the option of either one. I know that the Drive-E should provide better MPG similar performance. I am not going to be towing anything it will be primarily a family howler. Any preferences? Also would Polester tuning be available for an AWD T6 Drive-E?

2) I like the heated steering wheel (I live in the snow belt) but I don't really need the whole climate package. Could I replace the steering wheel in the future for one with heating capability?

3) I am sure about the BLIS and back up camera but I am not sure about the Tech Package. Is this something that could be upgraded a later time if I decide I want it? I know the buttons won't be in the center console but I also know you can turn all those options off in the MYCAR section of the infotainment.

4) The standard wheels are 18" but I like the look of the 19" lesath. How different is the ride an handling? would I notice any difference?

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you're buying and not leasing you may want to look at their OSD (Overseas Delivery) program. It gives you some additional flexibility in how you can configure the vehicle plus you get a vacation out of it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi,

1, I think you need to testdrive the two of them, if possible. Mpg will be better on the DrivE engine, but I bet the i6 T6 will feel more premium. The i6 T6 is a wonderfull engine if you can live with the mpg. The i6 T6 is not beeing manufactured anymore, so cannot be ordered on OSD, in case you consider that. You are more than welcome to Gothenburg :)

2, Heated steeringwheel cannot be mounted after the car has left the factory from what I have understood. It is a wonderfull thing though, so make sure you get it.

3, BLIS cannot be mounted after delivery, but back up camera can, but it's quite expensive. Personally I do not think BLIS makes that much difference, but the back up camera is a pretty good thing.

4, I used to use 18", and still does it for the winter tires. In the summer I've used 20" for the last theree years and it is a massive difference, the car handles so much better with 20" compared to 18". I do not think comfort is poorer with 20 compared to 18.

Good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much got the answers. I am planning to test drive both engines.

One more clarification for question 3, what about all the other safety features like lane keeping assistance, RIS, adaptive cruise control? Could those be installed after the vehicle has left the factory?

Thanks!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm fairly sure none of the active safety equipment can be installed after the car has been built.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The steering wheel can be replaced with a heated one as an accessory .
I just got the prices here in Canada, Ontario , Volvo of Hamilton. The parts will cost $734 labour $240

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
463 Posts
The safety features though can't be added later on, unfortunately. Backup camera and proximity sensors can be added later however, Blis, Dynamic cruse, lane assist, rear Trafic alert, Driver Alert can not be added later

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Hi all,

I have been reading and lurking around the site for a few months. I am planning to buy a new 2016 XC60 T6 but I had some questions that I hope folks could help me clarify. I apologize in advance if questions are silly. I am newbie when it comes to Volvos.

1) T6 AWD Drive-E vs T6 AWD: The dealer has said that I have the option of either one. I know that the Drive-E should provide better MPG similar performance. I am not going to be towing anything it will be primarily a family howler. Any preferences? Also would Polester tuning be available for an AWD T6 Drive-E? They have Polestar tune for the T6 Drive-E motor but I don't think it has been released yet, but should be soon. The 3.0L I6 T6 AWD can most definitely be Polestar tuned.

2) I like the heated steering wheel (I live in the snow belt) but I don't really need the whole climate package. Could I replace the steering wheel in the future for one with heating capability? I love having the full Climate Pkg as I live in the Northeast, that heated windshield has come in handy quite a few times already and I love the heated steering; I'm sure the heated steering wheel can be retrofitted afterwards but it will probably cost you a pretty penny to do.

3) I am sure about the BLIS and back up camera but I am not sure about the Tech Package. Is this something that could be upgraded a later time if I decide I want it? I know the buttons won't be in the center console but I also know you can turn all those options off in the MYCAR section of the infotainment? You can not upgrade to the Tech Pkg after its left the factory. I like the Lane Keeping and Collision Alert, but you can choose to turn what you want on/off. If you get a Platinum trim the Tech Pkg is standard in that trim level.

4) The standard wheels are 18" but I like the look of the 19" lesath. How different is the ride an handling? would I notice any difference?
We have the 19" Lesath wheels on our 2016 XC60 and we love them. They didn't add any extra harshness to the ride but the steering response feels a bit sharper than the 18" wheels when we test drove the two side by side. My parents have the 20" Titania wheels on their 2014 XC60 and those add a little bit of harshness over rough roads, but not as severe as an R-Design with 20" wheels (my parents had a 2010 XC60RD with the 20" wheels and that was a rough ride).
See comments in ​BOLD

·
Registered
463 Posts
xC60 doesn't have lane keep assist only lane warning ... Unfortunately

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
xC60 doesn't have lane keep assist only lane warning ... Unfortunately

I just looked up and saw only the S60/V60/XC90 with Drive-E motors come with Lane Keeping Assist, not the XC60.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Drive-E models are supposed to come with Lane Keep Assist and the older T5/T6 come with Lane Warning; I should have said I like the Lane Warning feature, but the Assist feature would be nice if I had one of the newer models.
Do you mean on 2016? My 2015.5 Drive-E doesn't have lane keep assist, just lane departure warning. I intentionally weave to hear the soothing tones and pretend I'm in my F-16 about to buy the farm if I don't pull up fast enough.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
to the OP...

The tech package is brilliant. Get it just for the adaptive cruise control.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Do you mean on 2016? My 2015.5 Drive-E doesn't have lane keep assist, just lane departure warning. I intentionally weave to hear the soothing tones and pretend I'm in my F-16 about to buy the farm if I don't pull up fast enough.
I was editing my answer when you were replying to my post. Lane Keep Assist only comes on S60/V60/XC90 models with Drive-E motors.

·
Registered
87 Posts
to the OP...

The tech package is brilliant. Get it just for the adaptive cruise control.
+1
ACC is awesome in stop-&-go driving too (they call it queue assist at lower speeds, but same idea).

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
i6 T6 for sure! I think you would appreciate the climate package once you have it especially in cold climates. Good luck.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi all,

1) T6 AWD Drive-E vs T6 AWD: The dealer has said that I have the option of either one. I know that the Drive-E should provide better MPG similar performance. I am not going to be towing anything it will be primarily a family howler. Any preferences? Also would Polester tuning be available for an AWD T6 Drive-E?
Volvo's website and pricing sites like TrueCar are still showing that the XC60 T6 AWD has the 3.0L Turbo I-6 with 300hp and 6-speed automatic. But the order forms for the OSD (Overseas Delivery Program) has the T6 FWD, T6 AWD and T6 AWD R-Design shown as having the 2.0L turbo & supercharged I-4 (302hp) and 8-speed automatic. The 6-cylinder engine is no longer being produced. They probably are selling thru the 3.0L engines they have on hand, then only the 2.0L turbo/super-charged will be available on all T6 models.

The 2.0L "twin-charged" 302hp 4-cylinder is a very impressive engine, to say the least. I had a 2015 S60 T6 FWD with the 302hp engine for 11 months. I was hit by a huge water delivery truck and the car was totaled in early December. I decided to replace it with the V60 wagon, but there is no 'regular' T6 version of the V60, it's either the T5 or T6 R-Design. I decided on the 325 hp 3.0L turbo over the 240hp 2.0L turbo 'Drive-E' in the T5.

Comparing the two, the thing I like most about the V60 T6 R-Design compared to the S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum is that it doesn't have the automatic Stop/Start system which a standard feature on the FWD 'Drive-E'. After a month or so, I made it a habit to press the button to deactivate the stop/start system before I even shifted the car out of Park. The thing I miss the most about the S60 T6 Drive-E is the fuel economy, 27mpg average in the S60 T6 and I'm barely topping 20mpg average in the V60 T6 R-Design.

The most surprising thing to me was how linear the power delivery was from the 2.0L thanks to the super and turbochargers. It felt like a big, powerful 6-cylinder and the main difference is that the
real 6-cyinder, in my R-Design sounds better under hard acceleration. But if you don't NEED the AWD, I would say go with the FWD and save money and fuel. The acceleration and overall performance is very similar. Volvo claims a 0-60 time of 6.5sec for both versions. That is a conservative estimate based on the test results from automotive media such as Motor Trend and Car and Driver. They managed to do 0-60 in the Drive-E in 5.9sec.

2) I like the heated steering wheel (I live in the snow belt) but I don't really need the whole climate package. Could I replace the steering wheel in the future for one with heating capability?
Look at this way, you would pay the $500 for Heated Front Seats and the Heated Steering Wheel option (from the Overseas Delivery Price List, the only place I know to find individual features priced) costs $300, so you're at $800. So for $1550 (or $750 more), you get-
Heated Rear Seat
Heated windshield washer nozzles
Heated Windshield

Getting the Full Climate Package will also make the vehicle more appealing when you are ready to trade or sell it, especially if you live in a cold cliimate.

3) I am sure about the BLIS and back up camera but I am not sure about the Tech Package. Is this something that could be upgraded a later time if I decide I want it? I know the buttons won't be in the center console but I also know you can turn all those options off in the MYCAR section of the infotainment.
I believe the rear backup camera can be added as an 'accessory' but none of the other advanced safety features. BLIS is a separate option from the Tech Package and I highly recommend it. But the Technology Package adds all of the following for a very reasonable price ($1500 or included in Platinum trim level)-

Adaptive Cruise Control
Collision Warning with full auto brake
Cyclist & Pedestrian detection with full auto brake
Distant Alert
Driver Alert Control (monitors for driver fatigue with cameras tthat montitor the lines on the road. If you are veering in either direction, even though you stayin your lane, a little coffee cup lights up on the insturment panel and tells you toake a break!)
Road Sign and Speed Limit Detection and Informattion
Automatic High Beam Control
And depending on whteher you get FWD or AWD-
FWD- Lane Keeping Aid (will gently steer car back into lane if it detects that you have crossed the lines on either side without your turn signal on)
AWD- Lane Departure Warning

Note- The Platinum trim level includes the Technology Package, Proximity Package and Convenience Package which are optional on the all non-Platinum models. I think the Platinum upgrade is a good eal at $4400. Using the OSD price list I mentioned earlier, the cost of the items included on the Platinum would be $5525 if ordered separately. Another thing to consider, you can order a T6 'base' with any of thse packages, but the Platinum is the only way to get Active Dual Xenon Headlights!

Very often, the wheels 'make' the car. For instance, my 2015 S60 T6 came with 18" Titania alloys standard but the 19" BOR wheels took a nice looking vehicle and made it look incredible! In the S60, the 19" wheels came with a sport suspension that made the ride a little jarring and busy at times. I've driven the XC60 with the standard 18s and the optional 20"Titania II because I was consdiereing an XC60 as well as the S60. My previous vehicle was a 2012 Mazda CX-9 (a full-size, three-row Crossover), so my initial inclination was that I had to have another SUV. I liked the XC60 with both wheels (my CX-9 has 20s, incidentally) but the 20s looked better and it felt very firmly planted to the road.

I'm not sure why Volvo does this, but far too often the lesser trim-levels have ugly and/or plain wheels. The 18s they put on the XC60 are no exception. The 19" Lesath alloys are very sharp and, as I mentioned earlier, they really complete the look of the vehicle. They looked especially hot with the Osmium Grey Metallic paint. And the suspension remains the same, unlike the S60/V60, so I think you'lll find the 19s a great choice! Let the salesperson know that you want to take extended test drives and not just a quickie 10-minute around the block. Explain that you are wanting to make sure the wheels are comfortable and you'll be happy with them. My dealer let me take mine overnight before I made a decision.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
XC60 T6 Drive-E AWDs are at the retailer lots.

·
Registered
463 Posts
No Line Keeping Aid feature available on FWD XC60 here in Canada.... is there anywhere else available?
I have seen it posted on other threads too, but unfortunately no availability.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I think you'll be looking at about a 2 to 3 MPG difference between the T6 Drive-e AWD and the T6 3.0 AWD. For a few hundred bucks more a year in gas expense, I would opt for the tried and true bullet proof T6 3.0. Also consider the sublime inline 6 power delivery and sound befitting a luxury vehicle, plus the included Polestar software flash, bringing output to 325 HP and 354 torque. You'll not get those numbers from the Drive-e even with a Polestar software update...especially the torque.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts