SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be flying up to San Antonio soon to visit some family and my dad wants to buy me a car as a late birthday present. I decided on trying to find a 2005 Volvo S40 as it fits my budget of ~$3000. I found a black 2004.5 S40 2.4i with 182k miles that has been sitting on a car lot for about 6 months (at least thats what cargurus.com says) that looks like its in fairly good condition. The main things i'm worried about this though is the fact that its been on the lot for >6 months and that it has 180k miles on it. I know about stuff like the sunroof leak problem and the timing belt, but what else should I look out for?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
That many miles plus sitting for six months. Cam or crank seals are going to leak. The P1 chasis does not last like the old volvos. A lot of Ford crap in there.

Walk away!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't know about lots in your area but in Estonia there is a rule of thumb that only stupid people buy cars from lot dealers. They lie about history, condition, hide flaws, scroll odometers and most of the time you just step into bucket and will be alone with your problems. Very very bad stuff.

If you have it better and can put even least trust into such dealers then this does not apply, obviously.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
at that mileage- your looking at replacing things like motor mounts and suspension parts at the least. Im not saying these cars are bad by that mileage... if you stay on top of things and gradually replace parts as they go bad then you could be in good shape. Unless youve got receipts for all kinds of repairs and replacement parts i wouldnt bother with it. I'd rather have a $3000 camry with all original parts and 200k miles, than an s40 whose history is unclear w/ 180k or even an s40 with 140k that hadnt been touched-- besides the timing belt and oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to call the dealer up tomorrow and ask him about the repair history and stuff like that as its possible some of the stuff mentioned here has already been taken care of. I found another 2005 S40 2.4i with 108k miles but they want me to call for the price, so it's quite possible it'll be out of budget.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, that other car is wayyy out of budget. Its no wonder they haven't sold it yet. Gonna call the dealership that's selling the s40 I was originally planning on looking at and see what's up with it.

Edit:
Car was bought in an auction so no history... Off the list.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Do you really think it made it to 182,000 without any maintenance or care? Go drive it and evaluate the condition. Don't assume anything. They probably drove the car some over 6 months. The battery will be dead if they didn't at least charge it. If it had a bad owner it would have never made it this far. My 05 AWD has 183,000 on it and it sure doesn't drive like it's ready for the crusher.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you really think it made it to 182,000 without any maintenance or care? Go drive it and evaluate the condition. Don't assume anything. They probably drove the car some over 6 months. The battery will be dead if they didn't at least charge it. If it had a bad owner it would have never made it this far. My 05 AWD has 183,000 on it and it sure doesn't drive like it's ready for the crusher.
The car I was considering looking at is off my list now.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Don't give up, they are great little cars but can (okay, will) take some care to get back to perfect condition. Honestly though, almost every car I've seen at an used car lot has been "bought from auction" with "no service history". If that's the case, just be scrutinous of the car, but sometimes you can find gems hidden amongst the trash.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts