·
Registered
2,005 Posts
"Right now it is unclear why the car was on the runway!"

....following the on-board GPS perhaps?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
From the video, it looks like the plane is a little low on approach. But low doesn't mean "illegal".

I wouldn't be surprised if the XC90 was in a location considered "prime" for plane spotting. Combine a "tall" car with a "low" plane and bang.

I predict that the NTSB report will blame both the pilot and the driver. The pilot should've gone around (applied power and not descended so low, came back around to land after the car was gone or remaining on a glide path high enough to prevent problems). A secondary cause will be that the Volvo shouldn't have been there.

For insurance purposes, the Volvo driver will be blamed. The NTSB report can't be used in court.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
From the video, it looks like the plane is a little low on approach. But low doesn't mean "illegal".

I wouldn't be surprised if the XC90 was in a location considered "prime" for plane spotting. Combine a "tall" car with a "low" plane and bang.

I predict that the NTSB report will blame both the pilot and the driver. The pilot should've gone around (applied power and not descended so low, came back around to land after the car was gone or remaining on a glide path high enough to prevent problems). A secondary cause will be that the Volvo shouldn't have been there.
Did you actually watch the video and news report? To my mind the plane was making a perfect approach ... was going to touch down very near the end of the runway. The pilot may have never seen the approaching car.

I would say IF the XC90 driver was doing a bit of "plane spotting" .... he darn well intended to get a very up-close view!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think the XC90 was driven by Party Boy as a stunt for the new jackass movie....

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
The plane was aiming right for the piano keys on the runway. I can't see the pilot being to blame at all. In fact the SUV came in so late, they might not have seen the XC90 below them.
While touching down on the piano keys is early, it is a perfectly normal landing.

The driver of the XC90 is lucky. Looks like the landing gear hit right in his his/her window.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Looks like the airplane was below a more normal/comfortable 3.0 degree glide path. But if it's a short runway, "ducking under" a normal glide path is standard practice.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'd say that this is an accident waiting to happen especially with that perimeter road so close to the runway threshold. It is yet another instance of airport operations and safety personnel acting reactively instead of proactively:facepalm:. The aircraft always has the right of way on airport ramps and runways...its the Volvo driver's fault especially since you can spot a Cessna 172 on final approach 30 seconds to a minute out.

When I saw this story initially I also spotted this image:
http://www.carmk.net/thread-121941-1-1.html

Needless to say that from now on I am leaving my car at home when coming into work. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have been to that airport many times and used that road most every time. There are all sorts of signs to not go on that
road if there are planes present.

The runway has to be crossed to get to the other side of the airport. It is a very rural airport, but one that seem to be
getting more traffic as it is one of the few left around.

He did seem a little lower than most approaches I have seen.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
if volvo hadnt raised the body of the xc90 so it sits higher, and left it as a S80 station wagon the accident would not have happened. I think the pilot and driver should sue volvo for making the xc90 so high that an airplane could hit it when approaching a rural runway.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
According to a report in one of the aviation newsletters I get... It is a private road that runs perpendicular to the runway with stop signs "protecting" the runway. The airport has tried to purchase the land without luck. The driver was quoted as not having seen the plane coming down. The XC90 and a previous car ignored the stop signs.

The pilot was a student on his first solo flight (hence the video recording) and has decided to give up flying at this point.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Did you actually watch the video and news report? To my mind the plane was making a perfect approach ... was going to touch down very near the end of the runway. The pilot may have never seen the approaching car.

I would say IF the XC90 driver was doing a bit of "plane spotting" .... he darn well intended to get a very up-close view!
The approach appeared to be totally legal but low. It looked like he was set up for a nice short-field approach.

I've seen pilots get dinged in NTSB report for hitting deer that ran in front of the plane (when the A/FD noted "deer in vacinity of runway"). That doesn't mean they're really at fault, just they should've avoided it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts