SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been away from the forums for almost a year it seems. I currently have a 2010 V50 T5 AWD M66 and am looking to get the slightly larger V70R. I was mostly active over in that sub fixing up my V50.

I found some ads on craigslist etc, one I am currently looking at is here: 2004 V70R

I received some good information from the owner but would need to fly out there to pick up the car as it is about 3500km away from me. I am doing it for the car as well as the road trip should be fun.

The car has service records from Volvo, last service was in April, so I am pretty confident that everything is in working condition. The udnerside looks pretty clean and there is only some slight rust on one of the fenders.

I plan to do a manual swap on the vehicle eventually, so I know I will need to find parts for that. Is the M66/angle gear in my V50 compatible (not that I would dismantle a working car just curious)? I would need the other pieces like axles + shifter + cables, pedals, slave cylinder etc.

Is there any reason to not get a 2004 model vs say the 2006/7?

I'm basically looking for any quick tips before finalizing this sale (assuming it isn't sold yet, or one of you guys takes it lol).

I plan to bring some spare parts with me for the trip, like belts and some basic tools etc. Anything in particular that would be recommended?

Thanks, hope to join the club here soon!

·
Registered
125k 2007 Volvo V70R- SOLD, 1990 Volvo 760 Turbo
123 Posts
Hi,

I've been away from the forums for almost a year it seems. I currently have a 2010 V50 T5 AWD M66 and am looking to get the slightly larger V70R. I was mostly active over in that sub fixing up my V50.

I found some ads on craigslist etc, one I am currently looking at is here: 2004 V70R

I received some good information from the owner but would need to fly out there to pick up the car as it is about 3500km away from me. I am doing it for the car as well as the road trip should be fun.

The car has service records from Volvo, last service was in April, so I am pretty confident that everything is in working condition. The udnerside looks pretty clean and there is only some slight rust on one of the fenders.

I plan to do a manual swap on the vehicle eventually, so I know I will need to find parts for that. Is the M66/angle gear in my V50 compatible (not that I would dismantle a working car just curious)? I would need the other pieces like axles + shifter + cables, pedals, slave cylinder etc.

I'm basically looking for any quick tips before finalizing this sale (assuming it isn't sold yet, or one of you guys takes it lol).

I plan to bring some spare parts with me for the trip, like belts and some basic tools etc. Anything in particular that would be recommended?

So excited for you to join, I joined just recently and it’s been great! From my research, and from what I’ve spoken about with other r owners, 2000-2004 are somewhat electrically “difficult”, very slow wiring, etc. A lot of that was fixed from 05-07. However, as I’m sure you’ve seen, 05-07’s are typically rarer, as I’m pretty sure less models were brought to the US, especially the 2007 year, with only 345 brought to the us. I would also really be sure to bring a latex glove and perform the “glove test” on the oil cap to ensure the PCV system isn’t trashed before driving it a long way.
Others will add in that know far far more than me, but that’s my $0.02.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Hi,

Looks good! A nice Ti / Atacama VR with ~89K miles for $8800USD (with Atacama that hasn't been water-stained or trashed)? Yeah, I'd do that all day long.
Hard to see the center console. It looks pretty good, you know most 2004 consoles are beat to hell and back. But that's a trifling point. If it has a clean history and was mechanically maintained, it's a good one (I've found that one that's been cosmetically cared for is usually mechanically up to date as well. Somebody cared about it 😊).
I'll let someone better versed in the differences answer MY difference question. I hope you get it before someone else does!

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you’re traveling that far you should get as much info as possible. Do you have VIDA? Dem, awd, 4c all working? Have you been in a V70r so that you have an idea of their idiosyncrasies? If not try to, even if it’s a bad condition one so you can compare and contrast. Manual swap seems like a commitment IMO since you can probably increase your purchase budget instead. I saw that you’re in Ottawa from your v50 thread, I’m there too so if you want to check out mine it might help inform you.

Differences in model years (copied from another thread);

04-05 Aluminum OTE Pipe
'06-07 Plastic OTE Pipe

'04-05 Standard (15 degree slip) Haldex
'06-07 Pre-charged (0 degree slip) Haldex

'04 Stiffer Advanced 4C setting

'04-05 Torque limited 1st & 2nd gear GT (5 speed)
'06-07 Unlimited GT (6 speed)

'06-07 Updated Taillight design

'04 Large A/C Dryer
'05-07 Small A/C Dryer

'04 Round engine stabilizer mount
'05-07 square engine stabilizer mount

'04 Deeper bolstered front seats
'04 Textured plastic body trim
'05-07 Body matched trim, updated non-bodykit style

'06-'07 No more Flash Green, Sonic Blue Added

'05 added brushed metal trim to the center console (around audio and climate controls)

'05 added garage door style lid the cup holder and trimmed in brushed metal.

'05 added vent-like insert to the lower rear fascia; top of bumper not entirely black plastic, only area just below the tailgate (protects against damage when loading/unloading cargo.

'05 lost the pen holder on center console

'05 changed radio appearance - was HU803, updated to HU-850

'05 Volvo logo on tailgate moved from lower left to center above license plate; "V70" moved from right side to left side of tailgate

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for the responses everyone! Appreciate all the details.

There is an '06 much closer to me (4hrs) that is also in very good condition (claim no rust etc). The only downside is that it is all black which I am not a huge fan of but colour is not a high priority for me.

I haven't messaged the seller of the '06, but it would save me a flight, gas and getting temporary registration etc... hmm.. decisions!

2004: 2004 VOLVO V70R one owner | Cars & Trucks | Calgary | Kijiji

2006: 2006 Volvo V70 R | Cars & Trucks | Muskoka | Kijiji

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
rnkelly, thanks for the details. Yes I am in Ottawa and thank you for the offer. I have not been in a V70 or V70R yet, I've mostly watched videos and been trying to read things online. The owner does have all service records from Volvo dealership and was a single-owner car.

Regarding the manual swap, for me it isn't only the price.. I actually want the experience of working on the car. For me I get the same enjoyment (so far on the V50) from working on the car as I do driving it. Weirdly I think driving it back would also be a great experience, haven't been able to go too many places recently.. My brother said he might come, if so it would be great to spend some time with him as well.

If you are available sometime it would be a great experience to see your car and understand some of those idiosyncrasies. I am out in Kanata.

Thanks!

Edit: I do have VIDA+Dice, I will bring a laptop and the tool to scan the cars.

·
3,958 Posts
If you plan on swapping to an M66, it's probably worth it but definitely not a fan of the AW55 or the slower speed can bus. Other than that they are great!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Where there is some rust showing there is typically more not showing

"'06-07 Pre-charged (0 degree slip) Haldex "
Can one bolt the later haldex module into an earlier car to get this feature?

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
06 car (black one) has a droopy front spoiler and missing headlight wiper arms - possible a sign of bumper was off or wipers not working. I usually prefer newer cars and not to deal with first production year but here is tough call. One owner is a plus in my book. Try to get whole story (including how many owners) for 06..

Good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
When I found my VR, I eventually did the same thing, fly out (to Alberta no less) and drive it back. I would highly suggest having someone trusted and knows these cars give you a second opinion given you are taking the car across Canada. There lots of little interior and exterior things that wouldn't really be caught in a regular mechanical service at the dealership. Things like degraded rubber or rust on the windshield/rain gutter trim or dings and scratches on the interior aluminum trim that would bother you in person. Parts like these are hard to find and expensive for what they are.

Being an Alberta car, it will likely be better for rust than in Ontario but we still do use a lot of sand on the road for the prairie winters and it rips up paint and pits glass.

Check out the Volvo Owners & Enthusiasts of Edmonton Facebook group to see if there is anyone in Calgary would can help you out or has more information on the car. There are even technicians on there who are a wealth of knowledge.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you to everyone for giving me tips/suggestions to make this go smoothly.

I've made the decision to go out and purchase the 2004 model. The 2006 has been repainted and the seats dyed on the inside, it came from Maryland USA. The 2006 did seem to also be maintained but it had a few more unknowns. The 2004 was driven mostly by an older gentleman and the fact it has all the Volvo service records and seems in great condition based on photos (I did get some more that were not listed on the ad). I'm sure the 2006 one is a good car as well though.

I must say the colour of the 2004 did affect my decision more than I'd like to admit as well as the plan to have a mini-vacation / road trip with my brother. I think it will be a fun experience.

I did get the carfax as well (not sure if this is frowned upon, or not worth it..) It helped to show some smaller details/services that the vehicle has had. The timing belt was done at 128k km. The PCV was also checked by Volvo on the last service (-0.5KPA).

I am gathering a list of small items to bring just in case:

• Serpentine belt (I always drive with a spare in my vehicles).
  • Axle bolt ( I have spare for my V50 that look like they would fit).
  • VIDA + DICE Laptop to scan the car / help diagnose any issues.
  • Plan to buy some distilled water + oil before leaving the first city
  • Basic tools

This is likely overkill, but if I bring a spare belt that pretty much guarantees the current one won't break.

Any recommendations for things to bring just in case?

·
Registered
966 Posts
That is a long drive, so maybe get towing coverage so you don't need it. I had a 2004 and I have a 2006. Memory tells me the 2004 had a better radio, but other than that, I don't remember a big difference in the 2004. Enjoy, that is a great looking interior.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I am gathering a list of small items to bring just in case:

• Serpentine belt (I always drive with a spare in my vehicles).
  • Axle bolt ( I have spare for my V50 that look like they would fit).
  • VIDA + DICE Laptop to scan the car / help diagnose any issues.
  • Plan to buy some distilled water + oil before leaving the first city
  • Basic tools

This is likely overkill, but if I bring a spare belt that pretty much guarantees the current one won't break.

Any recommendations for things to bring just in case?
I flew to pickup my R long time ago and when I get there I bought basic metric wrench set to remove notorious EBD ( exhaust bracket of death). There is a pretty good chance it's already been removed but given the fact it was one owner car - who knows..
I would probably get a jag of volvo coolant just in case too
Axle bolts - it was common issue "axle ping" and lot of us replaced original bolts with bolts from XC90 that has rubber bushing on it - it's probably not related to your trip, just remembering while going through your list.
Flashlight comes to mind. I have a tendency to overpack lol, so I would grab al least one HID bulb - if you are planning to run in the dark.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. What you and others have listed is a good general start to any fly and buy road trip. You can only do so much at the side of the road safely without a jack, stands, and parts. For R specifics, I would only add a set of spark plugs and maybe coils (if they haven't already been replaced recently). I had a rare spark plug failure occur on my drive back in my VR. It fell into limp mode every so often making the trip that much longer.

Your VIDA+Dice is a great resource that I wish I had back then. Maybe pick up a can of sensor and electrical contact cleaner along the way to work out any MAF or connection issues that might pop up. Having duct tape on hand is ALWAYS useful.

If you are planning on taking the Trans-Canada Highway and find yourself stopping in Regina, SK, send me a PM and we can arrange to have you meet some other local owners!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks,

I will double check but the plugs were changed recently afaik. I don't know about the coils, I'll see about a spare just in case. Duct tape is also a must I agree, I'll have some zip ties too.

We actually have our hotel booked in Regina as our first stop. Depending how long the sale/insurance and registration takes we hope to be there late in the evening. I'll send a PM and maybe trade contact details and see if meeting up would work.

This forum and community continues to amaze me!

Thanks again everyone!

Edit: Looks like my V50 T5 uses the same coils as the V70R.. I saved my old ones when I did the stage 0 last year as they were still working.. I will bring 2 of each with me.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Tire pressure gauge, and maybe a tire plug kit. I carry that and a portable inflator on road trips, just in case.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good idea! I have a tire plug kit in my car now, I will just take that with me and the tire gauge.

For the tire inflator, I was going to maybe get an inexpensive one from Canadian Tire once I get there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It looks like a nice tidy car in the pictures. Atacama absolutely lifts the interior of these cars, IMHO. Makes them feel very unusual and quite special.

Personally, I like the Geartronic 5 speed that mine came with. I'm sure that the later 6 speed is better and the manual even better still. I guess I'm lucky enough to have a couple of other manual cars too, so I wouldn't have bought the R if it wasn't automatic !

Even though I know you are planning on swapping it out for a manual 'box, can I just note a few things that you will no doubt either already know for yourself or discover on the road trip back:

1. the gearshift is much sweeter once the car has warmed up (left hand gauge needle pointing straight up)

2. the little S button next to the shift lever should be used almost all of the time, I find. It really sharpens up the car.

3. make good use of the 4C settings. I've virtually stopped using the Comfort (or whatever its called) setting now (except on some almost unmade tracks we have round here) and use Sport, with the S button as well and I frequently also move up the Advanced for navigating tricky exits from road junctions in heavy traffic / or roundabouts.

Anyhow, i hope it checks out and that you have a wonderful trip back.

tim

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks for the notes FlashGreen, I am still very new to the V70R so these tips are greatly appreciated!

I've been doing much more research for the manual swap. I may leave it until next summer depending on when I can get all the parts. Maybe use my V50 in the winter, and keep this in the garage.. hmm.. Wife wants me to sell the V50 though.

It seems that the one positive the 04-05 have over the 06-07 is that the Angle Gear is compatible with the M66 transmission, so one less part to buy!

I did find a Transmission about 6hours away asking $1k CDN. I don't know if that is a decent price or not.

I am excited for the trip next week!

edit: also you guys have me paranoid I am going to crack my cylinders by looking at the thing wrong lol.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thread Update!

Who had headlight bulb? That was the only problem I faced on the trip.

I met up with wntr on Friday night and found out the car also has a stock subwoofer in the rear (I didn't even check when buying it as there were tires back there). He gave me a bunch of useful parts for my '04, thanks!

It was about 3900km total, and now back in Ottawa I was able to get the safety done and just need to get it registered ( have until Friday with the Alberta In-Transit registration).

Here are some photos from the journey.

This was our route more or less:

Problems? Issues?

Headlight failed as mentioned, wntr offered me one, but I didn't want to make him get up that early lol so I picked one up at Canadian Tire. This was on a backroad in SK with deer all around.. had to choose between single high-beam or fog lights + low beam.. I found the single high beam better.

The suspension definitely needs an overhaul of some kind. On bumpy highways, the car feels like it wants to hop side to side. It was was pretty scary in some cases and so we kept the speed down on those roads. I know it is an issue, and I think maybe this is what rnkelly was trying to demonstrate to me in the test drive. I feel like it shouldn't be this bad, so I will be looking into all the other threads about it.

Acceleration is pretty poor from a standstill, granted I don't slam the pedal down but it feels sluggish off the line. This is the 5 GT of course. Once moving it can be quite quick! Especially passing other trucks etc.

The trip was a lot of driving, but it seemed to go by really fast.

Thanks again for the help here, I will create a new thread in the other section once I start doing some work on it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts