SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to place an order for an OSD. Please second guess my choices if you want...

T6 - Inscription - Crystal White Metallic (the luminous sand was my 2nd choice)
Blond/Blond Interior
Vision, Convenience, Premium Sound, Heads-Up Display
20" Rims (these are standard with the inscription)
Front Decor Frames
NO Climate Package
NO Air Suspension
Still debating mud flaps

Air suspension is the toughest choice. I talked myself out of it. The way I am thinking about it, air suspension is great if you have a real need for it (towing, cobblestone streets, loading up the vehicle with heavy items, crazy terrain). For day-to-day driving on civilized terrain, there is little difference in spring vs. air. The long-term repair possibility has me spooked. What are the odds that the air suspension needs to be repaired by the time you get to 100K miles? Any opinions on this? I do like to accelerate out of turns....I am thinking the XC90 will feel more "stable" on springs.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I think you are on it, color-wise and features-wise.

This will be looking one great looking XC90. For a preview (although his car is not Crystal White but Ice White), search for a thread "B1 Pilot's XC90". White looks great w/ the 20" wheels.

I would add the mud flaps, on a white car.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think a lot of it depends where you live. Judging by your choice not to get the climate package, you're nowhere too cold. For us in New England, the roads are so bad that the air is great. If I lived in California, it would be a different story.

·
Registered
192 Posts
About to place an order for an OSD. Please second guess my choices if you want...

T6 - Inscription - Crystal White Metallic (the luminous sand was my 2nd choice)
Blond/Blond Interior
Vision, Convenience, Premium Sound, Heads-Up Display
20" Rims (these are standard with the inscription)
Front Decor Frames
NO Climate Package
NO Air Suspension
Still debating mud flaps

Air suspension is the toughest choice. I talked myself out of it. The way I am thinking about it, air suspension is great if you have a real need for it (towing, cobblestone streets, loading up the vehicle with heavy items, crazy terrain). For day-to-day driving on civilized terrain, there is little difference in spring vs. air. The long-term repair possibility has me spooked. What are the odds that the air suspension needs to be repaired by the time you get to 100K miles? Any opinions on this? I do like to accelerate out of turns....I am thinking the XC90 will feel more "stable" on springs.
Nice build. The only thing I personally would change is the Blonde to Amber. I'm not a huge fan of white on white and the blonde will get smudgy rather quickly. I also think the Crystal White looks amazing with Amber. I also didn't get Air and I'm ordering the 21" rims.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Agreed. Nice build. I also went with amber.... And 21 rims. I did not get the air suspension. Had it on my Mercedes r500: I've been to that movie, and see how it ends...$$$

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice build. The only thing I personally would change is the Blonde to Amber. I'm not a huge fan of white on white and the blonde will get smudgy rather quickly. I also think the Crystal White looks amazing with Amber. I also didn't get Air and I'm ordering the 21" rims.
For what it is worth, my dealer said the best build he has ever seen was the Crystal White with Amber. My dealer did have one of these builds that I got to take a look at it briefly. My initial reaction was the black/amber combo was too "pumpkin-like". I have the same concerns of white on white though. I will need to rethink this one more time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I think a lot of it depends where you live. Judging by your choice not to get the climate package, you're nowhere too cold. For us in New England, the roads are so bad that the air is great. If I lived in California, it would be a different story.
I live in Chicago so it's definitely cold. I did not get the climate package as I rarely have people in the back seat. Also, since I am ordering the HUD, the package would not include the heated windshield. The heated windshield wipers would be nice, but I think I would turn off the heated steering wheel. My wife has cold hands so maybe I will get it. I's "only" another $1050. At this point, what's another grand? Hmmmm.

·
Registered
348 Posts
For what it is worth, my dealer said the best build he has ever seen was the Crystal White with Amber. My dealer did have one of these builds that I got to take a look at it briefly. My initial reaction was the black/amber combo was too "pumpkin-like". I have the same concerns of white on white though. I will need to rethink this one more time.
Agreed! The amber is just too pumpkin! I have the blonde/blonde and have absolutely no problems with it staying clean. That argument against light coloured interiors is just too overwrought. The blonde goes so well with the matte wood finish.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did not get the air suspension. Had it on my Mercedes r500: I've been to that movie, and see how it ends...$$$
Volvo recently announced their "Lifetime Parts & Labor" warranty that if you repair something once, they will fix that component for the life of the car for things other than batteries, tires, etc. If I knew the cost estimate to repair the various items on the air suspension, I might get it given the "Lifetime Parts & Labor" promise. However, I think it really goes back to whether you "need" air suspension. Day-to-day driving on normal streets there is no real benefit.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I believe the heated steering wheel comes with the inscription trim level and does not have anything to do with the climate package. Other than that, great choices all around. I will not comment on the interior leather choice as that is a personal preference. You really cannot go wrong with any color/interior combination.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I believe the heated steering wheel comes with the inscription trim level and does not have anything to do with the climate package. Other than that, great choices all around. I will not comment on the interior leather choice as that is a personal preference. You really cannot go wrong with any color/interior combination.
Hi, where did you hear that the heated steering wheel comes standard?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi, where did you hear that the heated steering wheel comes standard?
I think MDem is incorrect. I think you can only get the heated steering wheel with the Inscription...but it has to be ordered with the climate package.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I added mud flaps and bumper protection plate to mine since i will be putting & pulling gear out of the back.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I would highly recommend mudflaps... the wheels are wide and you get a lot of splatter from the dirt all over the sides of your car.. Plus, they don't really cost that much.. $120-$130?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Agreed! The amber is just too pumpkin! I have the blonde/blonde and have absolutely no problems with it staying clean. That argument against light coloured interiors is just too overwrought. The blonde goes so well with the matte wood finish.
Good to hear about the blonde interior. My current car is a 2006 Infiniti that has a very light leather, but it still looks great. I think the main concern with a light interior is the feet area. You get in the vehicle with your grubby feet in winter and that nasty stuff gets smudged on the same areas over and over. The left bottom side of my driver door has black smudges that will not come out. Rubber mats are the way to go. I may start becoming anal retentive when I get the XC 90 and keep some cleaning materials handy so I can clean around the foot area on bad weather days.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would highly recommend mudflaps... the wheels are wide and you get a lot of splatter from the dirt all over the sides of your car.. Plus, they don't really cost that much.. $120-$130?
I guess I agree. I think the car looks "cleaner" without them, but they look nice and are really functional.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I guess I agree. I think the car looks "cleaner" without them, but they look nice and are really functional.
Yes, I agree that the car (especially white) looks better without them. However, the function of the mudflaps may also prevent some chips as well...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts