SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The goal is to create a step-by-step write-up for the 2004-07 S60R/V70R front and rear caliper services. I will not be splitting the calipers in half to do this.

This will include:
- List of tools/parts needed to properly service each calipers, front and rear
- Reasons to service the calipers, besides the fact that dealers won't do this.
- Step-by-step write-up on how to remove the calipers and service the dust boots and piston seals on the front and rear calipers.

I will start with the list of tools. I will make the specialty tools available to R Forum members once I go through the process myself. I have been researching the proper tool needed to perform this service. I am fully aware that you can do it all with a rag, large flathead screw driver and a small metal pick. Like some of us, I'm somewhat OCD and prefer to do things with the right tools and take my time, if you aren't this way kudos to you for having more free time :thumbup:, seriously though.

Onto the tools:
It seems like every write-up I found bottlenecks upon finding a seized piston in the caliper. I have seen people use two flat head screwdrivers, hammers, torches, grease you name it to try and remove the seized piston from the caliper. I know there are 100 ways to pry a seized piston out, I'm sure you all know a way. I found a tool that makes this process easier and safer, its called a Brake Caliper Piston Removal Wrench.

You will need four sizes to service both the front and rear calipers.
Front: 42mm and 38mm
Rear: 30mm and 28mm

I'll go through the process in detail starting with the front calipers as I service them this weekend.

The basic hand tools:
- Jack stands
- 1/2 breaker bar with a 19mm deep socket to loosen your wheel bolts. I use a plastic coated one to avoid marring the wheel bolt bores (they where were just refinished)
- Front caliper bolts ( Don't know the size)
- Your favorite hammer
- 3/16 Pin Punch tool
- Metal pick
- Brake cleaner

Parts Front:
- New Rotors and Pads (your choice, I'm going with OEM pads/rotors/Spring Kit ($375 [email protected] Tasca) due to cost and because its automatic and my wife drives it from time to time)
*Rotors 30645222 x2
*Pads 30748957 x1
*Front Caliper Spring kit 30645137 x2
*Front Caliper Rebuild Seal Kit x2 $110 Shipped at VIVA
(These parts are for a 2005 V70R GT, pretty sure its the same for all P2 R's)

Parts Rear:
-New Rotors and Pads (again going with OEM ($340 shipped @Tasca)
*Rotors 30645223 x 2
*Pads 30683858 x 1
*Rear Caliper Spring Kit 30645140 x 2
*Rear Caliper Rebuild Seal Kit x 2 $135 Shipped at VIVA
(Reason I'm replacing the spring kits is because they have an unknown amount of miles and at this point $70 won't break the bank on a $1000 brake job)

Reasons to replace your Dust boots and Piston seals:
The most obvious reason is they are seized and your rotors are warped from the inside pad dragging on the rotor due to the piston not retracting. This is what happened in my case. Previous owner replaced all four rotors/pads with Textar parts (good Stuff) and failed to inspect the condition of the calipers/pistons etc. Another good reason is to maintain your calipers performance. Replacing just the dust boots is cheap insurance against moisture and dirt making their way into your calipers and pistons.

I'll post the photos of the process this weekend, thanks for looking and I hope this helps someone save money instead of replacing their calipers, and have some fun while their at it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
In for this, I would like to do mine before they have problems having been in rust belt for 10 years already.

Sent from my potato phone.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't think so, but its an 04 with 167k. In WI its whole life. I think new seals etc would be wise soon.

Sent from my potato phone.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, will start posting more photos as the parts start piling up!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Looking forward to seeing some photos of the process. The inside side of my rotors are all pitted and perform like **** so I guess I really need to do this job.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quick update: Waiting on the spring kits, might move forward without..Have the rotors,pads,caliper rebuild kits, tools, etc.

Will post more tomorrow as I start the process

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Quick update: Waiting on the spring kits, might move forward without..Have the rotors,pads,caliper rebuild kits, tools, etc.
What spring kits are you talking about? Are you rebuilding the e-brake too?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts