SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Need the Wisdom of the R Forum"
Am I the only one out there who's had an issue installing these silicone coolant hoses from IPD? The lower one won't stay on after it's tightened.

I just replaced the radiator no problem. Upper hose is fine - but I've been drinking heavily due to this problem.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've literally tried that several times. It's the weirdest thing I've seen. I can almost visually see it sliding off. I was wondering if there's a trick to silicone hoses. I'll try what you mentioned one more time.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
I'd seen someone on a previous thread recommend using hairspray as a slight bonding agent. Never tried it personally.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it slides off again, I'll try that. I really don't want to purchase an OEM Rubber Hose after investing in this silicone one:facepalm:

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
At least use some brake clean or other solvent to remove whatever lube that is allowing the the clamp to slide around. Bare rubber and steel will stick together well on their own under pressure, no hairspray needed.

Also move the clamp further from the edge. In addition to making sure the hose is pushed on as far as it can go, the clamp should be about 10mm from the end of the hose.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Make sure the plastic lip is not broken off the end of the hose connection on the rad

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Took all the suggestions & checks marks. I've been running the car and driving it around. I'll let you know if the hose slides off again. If so, I'll have a lower radiator hose for sale - given the hose isn't defective.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hey Guys - here's an update: Turns out the diameter of the hoses are too wide. The pressure in the cooling system blew them off the radiator. Once the lower hose was replaced with an OEM rubber hose, the upper hose (which I originally didn't have any issues with) blew off as well. I have OEM's on the R now. Sucks though - really wanted the Silicone. IPD's investigating.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spoke with IPD today, hoses were fine. Car was producing too much pressure in the cooling system. More testing to do - symptoms suggest anything from a cracked sleeve to a reservoir cap. :facepalm:

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
Spoke with IPD today, hoses were fine. Car was producing too much pressure in the cooling system. More testing to do - symptoms suggest anything from a cracked sleeve to a reservoir cap. :facepalm:
"Arrrrgh" indeed.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I was gonna say, I'd suspect defective hose clamps before defective hose. You should be able to bury the clamp into the rubber if all's working right.

And I have had that exact problem before, corrosion in the hose clamp made the screw bottom out mechanically when it really wasn't clamping the hose at all. Blew the upper rad hose off twice before I figured it out.

Also maybe the silicone is too sticky and the clamp is binding before it is fully tight, I'd suggest maybe a little lube on the clamp itself to make sure it can slide while it tightens. Just a spritz of WD40 should do it. Or some liquid soap.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just wanted to finalize this post. Did lots of test, and it did turn out to be the resevoir cap - allowing pressure to build up in the system. This blew the hoses off the radiator. Everythings good now.:cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts