SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do i need to remove the engine to throw in a new piston, one is melted, dont know what to do about it? on a 99 xc.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Technically it can be done in car, with the oil pan and the cylinder head off. How do you know it's melted?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Piston #2

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
It can be done, but if that piston did more damage to the walls than a light glaze braking hone can provide, your just throwing good money to bad as you won't be pleased with the outcome or longevity of your efforts.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Yeah, that cylinder wall looks like there was a chunk taken out. No hone could get rid of that without seriously opening up the diameter of that cylinder.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Told youuuuuu... Now are you ready to go to the junkyard? They have a 98 sitting on the lot right nowwwwwww!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Told youuuuuu... Now are you ready to go to the junkyard? They have a 98 sitting on the lot right nowwwwwww!
That 98 wont work because of ignition system. but i found a 99 in suffolk. I just have no idea how to do a swap or the tools needed(BTW I want that perfo you have)

·
Registered
160 Posts
im pretty sure 98 and 99 blocks are interchagneable. So all youd have to do is swap heads. Unless you wanted to get a complete motor and not mess with swapping everything over

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
My bad, I thought you had a 98... Why dont you just sell me this wagon? :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My bad, I thought you had a 98... Why dont you just sell me this wagon? :)
Do you want this wagon? I dont have time for it. Itl be a great car after its engine is worked out.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Whats the head swap like? I have someone needing a head for their 98 2.4L is the distributor/vvt swap possible/easy?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Whats the head swap like? I have someone needing a head for their 98 2.4L is the distributor/vvt swap possible/easy?

We dont mean swap your car from coil ignition to distributor.

We mean buy junkyard motor then tear it down to the block. Then you strip the parts off your blown up motor (head, oil pan, accesories, etc) and transfer those parts to the junkyard block.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i understand that, i found a whole new motor though. but NJGreenBuild needs a new head for his 98

·
Registered
160 Posts
so grab the motor at your local junkyard and take the block for yourself and ship him the head. Thats prob your best bet at this point

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
I wasn't looking at it for an upgrade but rather to get the car driveable period. Anyways I'm gonna be okay, I have decided to just swap in an entire spare '02 RN motor rather than continue to fuss with this current engine. Thanks very much though and good luck with your new motor too!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts