SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would start a new thread here as the other "Guzzler" thread has gotten too convoluted.

My car went in for its last S&S service, 52k, at which time I mentioned that even after the piston ring replacement (4k miles ago) the engine was still burning oil and at an increasing rate. After some testing my service manager informed me that Volvo will be replacing the engine. He only mentioned that there was still too much blow-by and that Volvo wanted the engine back for diagnoses. This might also explain why loaner vehicles with the same engine always felt more powerful than mine.

I know I should be discouraged with Volvo that this engine died so prematurely but I am just amazed with how well Volvo stands behind their products! I never had to get testy, write emails or spend countless hours at the dealership for "tests" as I have with other brands. Volvo and my dealer stepped right up and took care of me. The whole experience just felt like I was in for an oil change. That is worth so much to me! Yeah, this car has not been as trouble free as perhaps Japanese makes but with this kind of commitment they've just found a repeat customer when that time comes. I always planned to keep this car for 8-10 years and now with this engine issue behind me I can hold out that much longer for that Concept Coupe!

Volvo For Life!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
They seem to have been doing a better job than subaru. Granted this varies dealer to dealer

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Glad to hear it!

·
Registered
94 Posts
"as trouble free as perhaps Japanese makes"
In 2009 my wife traded her XC90 for a Lexus IS250. I was OK with it cause of the trouble free reputation of Lexus.
Starting at 28,000 miles we started having issues with missing and loss of power. Finally at 75,000 they had to rebuild the engine cause of carbon buildup(direct injection)
and it took some talking to get them to stand behind it, even though we had the extended warranty.
In Dec. we got her a 2016 XC60 T5.
I have been driving various T5 engines since 1993 and have never had problem, just regular maintenance and O&F changes every 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I thought I would start a new thread here as the other "Guzzler" thread has gotten too convoluted.

My car went in for its last S&S service, 52k, at which time I mentioned that even after the piston ring replacement (4k miles ago) the engine was still burning oil and at an increasing rate. After some testing my service manager informed me that Volvo will be replacing the engine. He only mentioned that there was still too much blow-by and that Volvo wanted the engine back for diagnoses. This might also explain why loaner vehicles with the same engine always felt more powerful than mine.

I know I should be discouraged with Volvo that this engine died so prematurely but I am just amazed with how well Volvo stands behind their products! I never had to get testy, write emails or spend countless hours at the dealership for "tests" as I have with other brands. Volvo and my dealer stepped right up and took care of me. The whole experience just felt like I was in for an oil change. That is worth so much to me! Yeah, this car has not been as trouble free as perhaps Japanese makes but with this kind of commitment they've just found a repeat customer when that time comes. I always planned to keep this car for 8-10 years and now with this engine issue behind me I can hold out that much longer for that Concept Coupe!

Volvo For Life!
Which dealer!? My Dad's S60 had piston rings replaced and now it's making a terrible noise at start-up (bearing?). I hope they replace the motor. Annapolis Volvo replaced the rings, but we're leaving at Herb Gordon out of convenience...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Which dealer!? My Dad's S60 had piston rings replaced and now it's making a terrible noise at start-up (bearing?). I hope they replace the motor. Annapolis Volvo replaced the rings, but we're leaving at Herb Gordon out of convenience...
If his car is making that noise then the engine is probably shot and Volvo will need to replace it anyway. Was it a 2012 too?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Glad to hear the process has been as painless as it could be for you. I would hope my dealer will treat me with the same sort of courtesy should something this significant happen to me. I hope the new engine resolves the problem for you once and for all and gets you many more trouble free miles.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The process is painless for some, while others have to fight "tooth and nail." I wonder what criteria VCNA uses to make the decision?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Did they say if they are going to put in a 2013 engine or a 2012 that does not suffer from this problem?

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
"as trouble free as perhaps Japanese makes"
In 2009 my wife traded her XC90 for a Lexus IS250. I was OK with it cause of the trouble free reputation of Lexus.
Starting at 28,000 miles we started having issues with missing and loss of power. Finally at 75,000 they had to rebuild the engine cause of carbon buildup(direct injection)
and it took some talking to get them to stand behind it, even though we had the extended warranty.
In Dec. we got her a 2016 XC60 T5.
I have been driving various T5 engines since 1993 and have never had problem, just regular maintenance and O&F changes every 5,000 miles.
My co-worker had a similar issue with her IS250, but at 60K miles. She didn't get an extended warranty expecting exceptional reliability, but luckily was able to get Lexus to pay for half of the repairs. Soon after, there was a problem with the timing belt pulleys. She traded it in for a Mazda after that repair.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did they say if they are going to put in a 2013 engine or a 2012 that does not suffer from this problem?
No mention of the 2013. They will probably put in a later production 2012 which don't seem to be affected.

ecoDrive - do you know the manufacture date of your engine?
I don't know the engine date but the car is an early 2012, manufacture date 01/11.

My co-worker had a similar issue with her IS250, but at 60K miles.
We did too but at 40k. Lexus extended the warranty on that engine. That, this and my previous car VW 2.0T I can certainly pick'em can't I.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also I didn't get the impression that it was a complete engine swap. He said something about ordering the head and block (upper and lower engine as he put it) and transferring parts over from my old engine. I would imagine they would be reusing the intake and exhaust manifolds so probably the turbo as well. Valve cover, oil pan, belt driven accessories like the alternator and A/C. Won't know for sure until I get the paper work. I guess I'll have to make sure I know what's new and what's old for maintenance purposes.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Good idea to keep track of what is new and what's not. I wonder if they will replace some pulleys while they're at it.
I'm at 5,500 miles into the piston ring change and the oil level is hair below the top hash mark and has been for a while. When I got the car back it looked like it was overfilled. At this point it looks like it's fixed but will definitely keep checking the oil.
Keep us posted please.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Also I didn't get the impression that it was a complete engine swap. He said something about ordering the head and block (upper and lower engine as he put it) and transferring parts over from my old engine. I would imagine they would be reusing the intake and exhaust manifolds so probably the turbo as well. Valve cover, oil pan, belt driven accessories like the alternator and A/C. Won't know for sure until I get the paper work. I guess I'll have to make sure I know what's new and what's old for maintenance purposes.
Sounds like Volvo will be installing a "long block."

·
Registered
258 Posts
In another thread bees was mentioning that her engine won't be replaced til Feb 8. I was also told the engines are WAY on backorder. Maybe this is the way to do a faster repair. Who knows.

On a separate note, I just heard from Volvo today that they agreed to finally replace my engine as well after fighting with them for weeks.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
In another thread bees was mentioning that her engine won't be replaced til Feb 8. I was also told the engines are WAY on backorder. Maybe this is the way to do a faster repair. Who knows.

On a separate note, I just heard from Volvo today that they agreed to finally replace my engine as well after fighting with them for weeks.
Thats great news! Congrats.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Thats great news! Congrats.
+1. Really glad to hear they stepped up though it's unfortunate getting them to do so was a somewhat painful process.

·
Registered
13,511 Posts
Sorry for your troubles but it is good news that Volvo is picking up the repair.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts