SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My OEM Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires were noisy and lasted only 18k miles. I was pretty sour on Pirelli after that.

I've had two sets of Michelin Latitude Tour HP which each lasted 29k since then and have loved them. I am at 4/32 so will need a replacement soon.

I see the Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus is top rated, but based on only 300k miles for the reviews vs 10m miles for the Latitudes.

I've got 255-50/19 wheels. Anyone have experience with these?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Can't comment on the Pirellis, but a few months ago I bought the Dunlop Grandtrek A/S tires in that size. They're on special at Tirerack. These are Mercedes OEM tires (ML class) in 255/50/19. You'll see that the reviews are mixed, but if you read more carefully you'll find that most of the negative reviews are associated with the Audi OEM size, which was also a LRR model. The reviews associated with the Mercedes fitment (our 19" size) are very positive. For $121 each, I'm very satisfied, although I can't comment on tread life.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I like the Verde's very much.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Mine runs 255/50 R19 and came new last year with Pirelli P-Zero Rosso. Not sure if you can compare the Rossos and the Zeros/Verdes but they've worn ridiculously quick. I don't care what anyone tells me about grip /performance etc I wouldn't buy Pirellis.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine runs 255/50 R19 and came new last year with Pirelli P-Zero Rosso. Not sure if you can compare the Rossos and the Zeros/Verdes but they've worn ridiculously quick. I don't care what anyone tells me about grip /performance etc I wouldn't buy Pirellis.
How many miles?

The Verdes have a 65k mile warranty. With this car I've gotten used to getting about 50-60% the mfr warranty so I expect that. If I can get 30k out of the Verdes I'd be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
I currently have a set of CrossContact LX20 on our XC90 and couldn't be happier. I think we are coming up on 50k miles on them and still have plenty of tread. They have a 70K mile warranty.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How many miles?

The Verdes have a 65k mile warranty. With this car I've gotten used to getting about 50-60% the mfr warranty so I expect that. If I can get 30k out of the Verdes I'd be happy.

Anyone have a sense for tread life or too soon? I think I'm going to pull the trigger on these.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
My OEM Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires were noisy and lasted only 18k miles. I was pretty sour on Pirelli after that.

I've had two sets of Michelin Latitude Tour HP which each lasted 29k since then and have loved them. I am at 4/32 so will need a replacement soon.

I see the Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus is top rated, but based on only 300k miles for the reviews vs 10m miles for the Latitudes.

I've got 255-50/19 wheels. Anyone have experience with these?
How'd you manage to go through the OEM Zeros in 18k? Must be quite the driver; unfortunate we never met. Just on the other side of 15-501 (similar roads and traffic as Cary) and ours lasted 37k. They were also great in harsh winter terrain and the occasional off-road. Given we drove up to the Great White North every other Christmas I replaced them with Continental DWS which are arguably better in heavy winter, although with Pirelli I did find myself on a snowmobile run once with snow and ice and they were quite fantastic as well paired with the XC90's AWD.

The Conti DWS are lasting about the same but I recall my initial reaction was they are much squishier than the Pirelli. They took some getting acclimated to their less precise turn in and ever so subtle floaty feel compared to the firmer Pirelli. The DWS also come with a 55k warranty. I've not looked at the Verde.

Since then I've gotten a winter/off-road set of wheels, I'm debating DWS or going back to Pirelli. In the winter we have real mountain driving with snow and traction tires are a often required with chains available as backup (haven't been on the roads when use was mandated yet - but we are required to have them in the vehicle between Nov 1 and April 1). What may ultimately twist my arm on another set of DWS is they're about $300 less for a set than the Pirelli Zero, although I really liked the Pirelli. The DWS are comparable in price to the Verde non-Porsche Spec.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Tossing in an endorsement for Conti DWS's. Had them on for almost a year as they came with our XC and I don't have any real issues with them. If they made the Nokian WR3SUV in my tire size I'd be replacing the Contis with Nokians.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I downsized from 20-inch to 19s on our R-Design and went with Nokian WRG3s. Picked up the wheels from www.erievovo.com when they got in a '08 R-Design. Had them refinished and they looked like new for considerably less.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Anyone have a sense for tread life or too soon? I think I'm going to pull the trigger on these.
Sorry I didn't get back to you.

I've since checked dates etc.

The Rossos were on when I got the car new beginning of July '14. I swapped to the Nokian winters end of November '14 then the rotated Rossos went back on beginning of April '15. Beginning of September '15 I put the Nokians back on. I've now done about 15.5k miles in the car.

Sooo.... 80% of my driving time is around town and by my reckoning I average about 1000 miles a month. If that's the case I've done 10 months and 10k miles on the Pirellis. Two are down to 4mm, one is 5mm. I have one on 6mm but that was a replacement.

Now to scrub off 4mm in 10k miles of warm weather driving is not too good imo. And this is not down to driving style either. Don't forget over here our XC90s are diesel so no traffic light Grand Prix for us. If I spent all week up and down the motorway then maybe my experience would be different but as it is these tyres will last about as long as your Scorpians did. For this reason I don't think I'd bother with Pirelli.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So my local tire shop with which I've had pretty good experiences before is telling me that they can't put anything below a Y rating on since the OEM tire was Y rated. For the life of me I have no idea why this car needed a Y rated tire. Two different Volvo dealers have been more than willing to put on V rated (the Michelins). I'd bet the top speed of this car is 120 or less.

Is there any rational reason that a V rated tire would be a problem? (I've had none for the last 56k miles with V rated Michelins).

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So my local tire shop with which I've had pretty good experiences before is telling me that they can't put anything below a Y rating on since the OEM tire was Y rated. For the life of me I have no idea why this car needed a Y rated tire. Two different Volvo dealers have been more than willing to put on V rated (the Michelins). I'd bet the top speed of this car is 120 or less.

Is there any rational reason that a V rated tire would be a problem? (I've had none for the last 56k miles with V rated Michelins).
The tire shop agreed to install the V rated tires.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts

125-130mph :)

You're right though; I'd think the more important rating on it would be load rating in the US. Speed would become a factor to ensure they doesn't over heat even if they doesn't achieve V or Y rated speeds.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How'd you manage to go through the OEM Zeros in 18k? Must be quite the driver; unfortunate we never met. Just on the other side of 15-501 (similar roads and traffic as Cary) and ours lasted 37k.
This was my wife driving the kids around suburban Atlanta. And the tires were rotated every 5k. Had 4/32 at 18k miles. We moved to Cary at 24k.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I currently have a set of CrossContact LX20 on our XC90 and couldn't be happier. I think we are coming up on 50k miles on them and still have plenty of tread. They have a 70K mile warranty.
Hmmm..can you check that? I find it hard to believe you have 50K on them and "still have plenty of tread." I have a '04 XC90 with Conti CrossContact LX20s and they have 30K on them and are nearing the point to be replaced. I expect to get another 5K or so out of them. The tire is great, but not necessarily happy with the tread life considering they were rated 680AA. There's really no integrity to these ratings. I had a marginally better tread life experience with Kumho Road Ventures, which were much cheaper.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Hmmm..can you check that? I find it hard to believe you have 50K on them and "still have plenty of tread." I have a '04 XC90 with Conti CrossContact LX20s and they have 30K on them and are nearing the point to be replaced. I expect to get another 5K or so out of them. The tire is great, but not necessarily happy with the tread life considering they were rated 680AA. There's really no integrity to these ratings. I had a marginally better tread life experience with Kumho Road Ventures, which were much cheaper.
There are many factors for which you can't control tire wear including road quality, driving style, climate (temps), and traffic to name a few. Not all roads are created equal, concrete will provide better traction but will also wear tires more quickly than asphalt, and chip seal will eat tires faster than gravel since it lets you travel at higher speeds than loose gravel while maintaining traction. Think of the roads as having different grits like different sandpaper grades and that's just one aspect.

·
Registered
953 Posts
690 installed for 17" plus balance plus 4 wheel alignment
40 of this is tax
after pirelli refund of 60 for promotion

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm having my Verde A/S Plus tires installed on my 2010 XC60 tomorrow. As of today, my stock, original equipment Pirelli Scorpion Asemetricos have 58k on them and have worn as evenly and smoothly as any tire I've ever owned. As such, with TireRack's promotion on the new Verdes with the $60 rebate from Pirelli, I couldn't resist. My only hope is that they will last as long and wear as well as the ones they are replacing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts