SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 V70 T5, delivered in 12/2000, with the P6s as the 17" option. There has been very little, if any info, on these tires in the 17" size from either Volvo or Pirelli. What little can be gleaned suggests that Volvo foisted a "family type" tire on its performance oriented customers, if they wanted 17" tires. Also, since this appears to be an OEM tire exclusive to Volvo, the replacements are $260/per-(I've had to buy 2 new ones(my wife and high curbs). Does anyone have the same sentiments, or further info on these tires?

·
Super Moderator
39,233 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by alwaysed:<BR><B>I have a 2001 V70 T5, delivered in 12/2000, with the P6s as the 17" option. There has been very little, if any info, on these tires in the 17" size from either Volvo or Pirelli. What little can be gleaned suggests that Volvo foisted a "family type" tire on its performance oriented customers, if they wanted 17" tires. Also, since this appears to be an OEM tire exclusive to Volvo, the replacements are $260/per-(I've had to buy 2 new ones(my wife and high curbs). Does anyone have the same sentiments, or further info on these tires?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>I have the same tires (as I have the same car as you) and I love them. Their predecessors, the Pirelli P6000s, where atrocious in cold, wet conditions and very noisy. The P6s are much quiter, softer and have much better traction in snow and braking capabilities in rain. I am surprised you paid that much for those tires. My wife run over a nail and it was in such place that I had to replace the tire (right rear) at about 12,000 miles. The tire cost me $185. True, I got it wholesale since I work for a Volvo Retailer but we retail this tire at $229. You should shop around...<P>I really think this tire is extremely nice, as good as the Michelins.<P>Yannis<BR><P>

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yannis: Thanks for the reply. Your comments are consistent with the only description of these tires I could find--which was on Pirelli's UK web site(www.uk.pirelli.com). They indicated that the P6s were aimed at "ride and acoustic comfort" (only the British could describe it this way). When I bought these, I was assuming they were more performance oriented. However, they are performing much as you describe. My wife likes them a lot. As for the difference in price, the $260 was an installed price. <P>Tire Rack,finally, has a commentary on their web site about the 17" version. They call it the P6 Four Season, but provide no specs, prices, or sizes. Also, their brief description seems contrary to Pirelli's UK web site text.

·
Super Moderator
39,233 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by alwaysed:<BR><B>Yannis: Thanks for the reply. Your comments are consistent with the only description of these tires I could find--which was on Pirelli's UK web site(www.uk.pirelli.com). They indicated that the P6s were aimed at "ride and acoustic comfort" (only the British could describe it this way). When I bought these, I was assuming they were more performance oriented. However, they are performing much as you describe. My wife likes them a lot. As for the difference in price, the $260 was an installed price. <P>Tire Rack,finally, has a commentary on their web site about the 17" version. They call it the P6 Four Season, but provide no specs, prices, or sizes. Also, their brief description seems contrary to Pirelli's UK web site text.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>I am not a tire expert so I do not know the consistencies of the ruber used in the P6s. But I would not consider the P6 an "ultra-high performance" tire. Perhaps a "performance GT tire" especially since it is V-rated. Its traction is rated A like the Temperature. Tread is 340 which shoud not classify it as a "high performance tire". But don't forget that our cars have a governor, so their top speed is limited. Otherwise, you would have seen them outfitted with tires that can withstand speeds above 149mph which is the "V"rating. Our cars can easily go over 150mph, without the governor.<P>For the way I use my car, they are very good. If I were to start installing mods and use it for some type of racing, then my choice would be another type. I have taken my car, so far, a couple of times to its limit (above 130mph) and I am sure the P6s did not "sweat" it!<P><BR>Yannis<P><BR><P>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts