SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I dont have a spare tire in my car.I only have a kind of goop that volvo provided with will damage a tire for good.
I hear the goop is hazardous to handle and you maybe charged for it when you remove the tire to get new tires.

So I wondered if any tried out the following tire: pirelli cinturato p7 all season plus seal inside. I read that other tire manufacturers have something similar.

I was thinking this is the new way to handle the case where your tire is damaged and you dont want a heavy run flat tire.
Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

·
Registered
753 Posts
No experience with their sealed tire, but sounds like a great idea. The last set of tires I changed out my fronts with are Copper CS5 Ultra Touring tires which I could tell you are quieter than Pirelli P7s which I guess are more performance oriented.

The P7s I ran for 2+ years, but they were their All Season Plus V-Rated tire which were great as far as performance and strength but wore out quick

That goop in a can I've heard can ruin the TPMS and the one Volvo put in my trunk is still there. Have always wanted to buy a donut skinny tire to replace the can with

I still love donuts

·
Registered
90 Posts
No experience with their sealed tire, but sounds like a great idea. The last set of tires I changed out my fronts with are Copper CS5 Ultra Touring tires which I could tell you are quieter than Pirelli P7s which I guess are more performance oriented.

The P7s I ran for 2+ years, but they were their All Season Plus V-Rated tire which were great as far as performance and strength but wore out quick

That goop in a can I've heard can ruin the TPMS and the one Volvo put in my trunk is still there. Have always wanted to buy a donut skinny tire to replace the can with

I still love donuts

Agree with every detail. That goop is the Spawn of Satan. (Sorry for the visual.) I've got the 'standard' Pirellis and they're noisy and being 19" they're not smooth-riding either. So I'm interested in alternatives. I'd love to go up a half-step in tire aspect but I think I've also got the lowered suspension and tire guys have a fit when you try it anyway. Very much open to suggestions, and I've posted my interest in trading my wheels for 18" but want it to be a turn-key deal. I just try to avoid driving too much. That's not what it's all supposed to be about, now is it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Agree with every detail. That goop is the Spawn of Satan. (Sorry for the visual.) I've got the 'standard' Pirellis and they're noisy and being 19" they're not smooth-riding either. So I'm interested in alternatives. I'd love to go up a half-step in tire aspect but I think I've also got the lowered suspension and tire guys have a fit when you try it anyway. Very much open to suggestions, and I've posted my interest in trading my wheels for 18" but want it to be a turn-key deal. I just try to avoid driving too much. That's not what it's all supposed to be about, now is it.
Sad to hear you're avoiding driving. I may have the same combination of tires and suspension as you. I really appreciate the smooth quiet of a recently paved road and avoid the rough ones when I can. I think the harshness is more from the suspension than the tires. I don't find my 215/55R16 Gislaved NordFrost 100 winter tires significantly less harsh than the 235/40R19 Pirellis so I'm not sure a switch to 18 inch wheels would make much of a difference for you. Have you tried reducing pressure to 30 psi to see whether you like the ride any better? Not a great idea for long term tire life or high speed corners but maybe worth a try.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my case I just put up with the slightly rough ride. Mileage is good, tire wear is good and I love doughnuts! I worry more about getting a flat tire and getting stuck some place at night in the rain.

·
Registered
90 Posts
In my case I just put up with the slightly rough ride. Mileage is good, tire wear is good and I love doughnuts! I worry more about getting a flat tire and getting stuck some place at night in the rain.
Yeah, or on a highway trip far from home. That bore somewhat on my decision to trade in my BMW. It had run-flats and no tire shop in my vicinity was able to 'break the bead' to unseat them for replacement. Only the BMW dealer could do it. And of course they would not repair a run-flat tire. Replacement only. And of course they would only replace two at a time. This meant that each time I ran over a nail, it cost me $1000. (BMW dealer service isn't cheap.) It happened twice.

This plus realizing that it would be a disaster to have this happen far from a BMW dealer weighed in favor of trading in the car. That was a few cars ago. I'd sort of forgotten about this when I bought my S60. It didn't have run-flats, and I didn't even consider that it might not have a spare.

Sad to hear you're avoiding driving. I may have the same combination of tires and suspension as you. I really appreciate the smooth quiet of a recently paved road and avoid the rough ones when I can. I think the harshness is more from the suspension than the tires. I don't find my 215/55R16 Gislaved NordFrost 100 winter tires significantly less harsh than the 235/40R19 Pirellis so I'm not sure a switch to 18 inch wheels would make much of a difference for you. Have you tried reducing pressure to 30 psi to see whether you like the ride any better? Not a great idea for long term tire life or high speed corners but maybe worth a try.
Thanks, I have the same feeling that 18" wheels may not make an appreciable difference. Fortunately most of the roads where I am are good (though not as good as they used to be) I just have to stay outside the city limits to some extent. I'll try playing aroung with the psi a little bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts