SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a appointment tomorrow morning with Volvo to look at a "pinging/ticking" sound comming from my driver side wheel area. you can only here it with the windows down during 1st take off driving normally. does anyone else have this sound or am i the lucky S40 owner? it seems like the R owners also have this sound with little to no luck with a resolution to fix it with the dealerships. R thread here................. http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=57371

·
Registered
321 Posts
Re: Pinging sound whe ntaking off, anyone else??? (slo-vo)

I have sort of a creaking sound coming out of the driver's front. It's been there for a while. It only lasts about a second, is this what you're talking about?

If you drive next to a wall, with the window down, you can hear it through all the gears, not just first. Is it the same for you?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Pinging sound whe ntaking off, anyone else??? (gargantula99)

Quote, originally posted by gargantula99 »
I have sort of a creaking sound coming out of the driver's front. It's been there for a while. It only lasts about a second, is this what you're talking about?

If you drive next to a wall, with the window down, you can hear it through all the gears, not just first. Is it the same for you?

next to a wall would be the best way to here it, the sound that i get is a TICKING sound that last between 2 and 4 seconds comming from the front driver side wheel. the R owners are saying it has to do with the axels and there hasn't been to much luck with getting it fixed

Modified by slo-vo at 11:23 AM 4-24-2006

·
Registered
957 Posts

I get a single "Click" from the driver's side front wheel mostly at low speeds every time I tip into the throttle or back off of the throttle....and every gear change, etc. It almost seems like the drive hub for that wheel is splined onto the shaft and the splines are really loose...... It's done that since I drove it off the lot with 9 miles on it..... and it has 25,200 on it now.... I suppose I should have the dealer fix it but I'll wait till the SSS fix is avail. I don't want to "Rush into these things"
Maybe I can get at least one new CV joint out of the deal.

·
Registered
321 Posts

Quote, originally posted by slo-vo »
the sound that i get is a TICKING sound that last between 2 and 4 seconds comming from the front driver side wheel

Yeah yeah yeah.....that's the same sound I get. I thought I was the only one. I'll mention it at my next oil change.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Pinging sound whe ntaking off, anyone else??? (POWERSTROKE)

Quote, originally posted by POWERSTROKE »
I get a single "Click" from the driver's side front wheel mostly at low speeds every time I tip into the throttle or back off of the throttle....and every gear change, etc.

i also get that same exact tick in that same situation. i could be in 2nd gear at say 2000rpm and give it a little gas and it'll tick for a second or 2, same thing for 3rd gear also. i really hope it's not a axel issue like the R owners are talking about because that can't be good

·
Registered
957 Posts

ROB - It's just a single "tick", it only happens once until You back off the gas then it happens again, only one "Click" Then You hit the gas and it happens once more. One "Click" or "clunk" at a time, It could possibly be inside the transmission or differential too. I've never jacked that wheel up and spun the wheel forward & backwards to see where it's coming from. I figured I'd let the highly skilled Volvo Tech's at My dealer diagnose the problem....... After all......What with My 50 years and millions of miles and tens of thousands of hours of experience with transmissions, engines, clutches, and drivetrains in ALL forms of vehicles & equipment I would problably waste their time investigating the wrong components.
There's some free play or "Backlash" in all drivetrains but this is excessive in My opinion. Replacing the axle half shaft shouldn't be a big deal. Probably take longer to argue with the Service Advisor about the fact it IS a warranty issue than the remove & replace would take with the car on a lift.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Pinging sound whe ntaking off, anyone else??? (POWERSTROKE)

Quote, originally posted by POWERSTROKE »
ROB - It's just a single "tick", it only happens once until You back off the gas then it happens again, only one "Click" Then You hit the gas and it happens once more. One "Click" or "clunk" at a time, It could possibly be inside the transmission or differential too. I've never jacked that wheel up and spun the wheel forward & backwards to see where it's coming from. I figured I'd let the highly skilled Volvo Tech's at My dealer diagnose the problem....... After all......What with My 50 years and millions of miles and tens of thousands of hours of experience with transmissions, engines, clutches, and drivetrains in ALL forms of vehicles & equipment I would problably waste their time investigating the wrong components.
There's some free play or "Backlash" in all drivetrains but this is excessive in My opinion. Replacing the axle half shaft shouldn't be a big deal. Probably take longer to argue with the Service Advisor about the fact it IS a warranty issue than the remove & replace would take with the car on a lift.

I do have the AWD S40 and i get the clunk when changing from 1st to 2nd gear at low rpm but i also got that with my WRX and plenty of my freind get that same noise with their AWD cars. The whole Ticking thing is a different noise than the tranny clunk that i get. the ticking noise is a high pitch usualy a dual or tripple quick tick, kinda like if you took a deck of cards as a kid in place a few so it would hit the spokes of the rim,lol( crazy huh). thanks for the great feedback and your thoughts

·
Registered
21,166 Posts

The whole Ticking thing is a different noise than the tranny clunk that i get. the ticking noise is a high pitch usualy a dual or tripple quick tick, kinda like if you took a deck of cards as a kid in place a few so it would hit the spokes of the rim,lol( crazy huh). thanks for the great feedback and your thoughts

It would guess that it sounds like the ratcheting effect of tightening the gas cap.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Re: Pinging sound whe ntaking off, anyone else??? (Dyjacu)

Quote, originally posted by Dyjacu »
I get that sound too, but I have since learned to embrace and accept it.

Why on earth would you do such a thing? I refuse to accept some wierd noises coming from my car. I didn't pay $12,000 for it, I paid $34,000 and for that, I excpect silence coming from it!

·
Registered
21,166 Posts

Why on earth would you do such a thing? I refuse to accept some wierd noises coming from my car. I didn't pay $12,000 for it, I paid $34,000 and for that, I excpect silence coming from it!

Amen to that. That is why I am fighting Volvo for a fix on my R. Good luck on the S40 front.

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts

a "pinging/ticking" sound comming from my driver side wheel area. you can only here it with the windows down during 1st take off driving normally.

Can you hear it when maneuvering slowly in tight turns, such as when parking? If so, I had that in my V50 and it was fixed by the axle spline mod, applied to many cars. The splined axle shafts have end play which causes this noise, which really is harmless, a dab of loctite fixes them in place and stops the click.

Let us know what the dealer says.

Tom.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: Pinging sound whe ntaking off, anyone else??? (tmtalpey)

Quote, originally posted by tmtalpey »
The splined axle shafts have end play which causes this noise, which really is harmless, a dab of loctite fixes them in place and stops the click.

Well....after two "dabs" of loctite and new hubs, mine still clicks.

·
Registered
78 Posts

i'm continually amazed by how accepting others are with the misc issues we are having w/the s40. i totally agree with every word of your post. unfortunately, i've stopped posting my similar thoughts because i end up being the minority... at least i'm not the only one. cheers gargantula99 and magoonR

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: Pinging sound whe ntaking off, anyone else??? (FlyByT5)

Quote, originally posted by FlyByT5 »
i'm continually amazed by how accepting others are with the misc issues we are having w/the s40. i totally agree with every word of your post. unfortunately, i've stopped posting my similar thoughts because i end up being the minority... at least i'm not the only one. cheers gargantula99 and magoonR

IMO, Volvo has a long way to go in the service support area to be even remotely considered a "luxury" brand. I shouldn't have to beg, plead, kick, and scream for something to be taken care of.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Re: Pinging sound whe ntaking off, anyone else??? (FlyByT5)

I notice a metalic click sound when shifting from 1-2 and 2-3. as well as a slight right pull at slow speeds . not the end of the world. 10 grand less will definately get you more noises and rattles, but then again a sport exhaust a la super street will cover up all those noises , and then even if you're not fast you'll at least sound that way.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Re: Pinging sound whe ntaking off, anyone else??? (Volvo_girl)

Quote, originally posted by Volvo_girl »
I notice a metalic click sound when shifting from 1-2 and 2-3. as well as a slight right pull at slow speeds . not the end of the world. 10 grand less will definately get you more noises and rattles, but then again a sport exhaust a la super street will cover up all those noises , and then even if you're not fast you'll at least sound that way.

If I know a noise is there, I would still be able to hear it, even if I put in the loudest exhaust in the world. Which I won't for fear of the dealer saying "Your engine exploded b/c you put an exhaust in."

Quote, originally posted by MagoonR »
IMO, Volvo has a long way to go in the service support area to be even remotely considered a "luxury" brand. I shouldn't have to beg, plead, kick, and scream for something to be taken care of.

Luckily I haven't had this problem with my dealer yet. They've been great in getting my problems solved ie: seat track, key fob, short in rear dome light, brake vibration, except for the case of the brakes, they ended up replacing pads and calipers before the guy realized the rotors were warped. But all in all, they've been good. Maybe it's all those $60 oil changes I get from them.

Quote, originally posted by FlyByT5 »

Thanks Mate! The reason why I purchased a new car is b/c my last one (1990 Lincoln LSC, which I miss dearly) was in the shop once a month, This one is in the shop once every 2 months, at least it's a step up.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts