SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Pilot Assist Version 2.0

5K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  reeg2 
#1 ·
S90 is launching with this, and in previous threads have heard the official company line as "we are investingating the prospect on the XC90s". So any firm updates or are they still investigating?

Also to clarify, since the Volvo and Tesla are both utilizing the same component supplier "Mobile Eye" with Tesla doing more inhouse coding, are we to assume that Pilot Assist 2 and Autopilot are similar programs?

#2 ·
I've heard no updates. People have asked again on the official Volvo forum but it was on the weekend and no one has replied yet.

Not sure about what Volvo is doing in house so I don't have any idea on the second part of your question.

#3 ·
I would not assume that based on the hardware. Mobileye in fact is the top supplier of hardware for many auto manufacturers. In fact, they even offer a consumer solution that can be retrofitted on most cars but that is only a passive solution. Mobileye typicall does all of the passive stuff like checking for pedestrians, lane markings, etc. I'm sure there is other hardware and software at play that provides more of the active features like auto braking, steering, etc.

#4 · (Edited)
Yeah I wouldn't assume that at all based on the hardware. Certainly the basic functions are intended to be the same i.e. Staying in lane, not hitting stuff etc. but there's a good reason that not all cars have autopilot functionality yet even if they may have some hardware which is capable of it and used by tesla and Volvo. The software and system integration of the hardware is what each manufacturer will develop independently. That's like seeing the same supplier of touch screens that Volvo uses and expecting them all to have Sensus.

Autopilot also implicates far more than just the sensor system- steering, brakes, throttle, sensors to monitor driver alertness etc.

Basically what iron man said. But at the same time, yes autopilot will be autopilot. We've already seen volvos system to be similarly limited. Tesla is currently working at higher speeds but they seem very similar to me. To further complicate it, none of this stuff is truly "auto" anyway.

#5 ·
Mobile eye as the supplier at leasts puts them in the same realm. Now autopilot different in the way Tesla is crowdsourcing and also putting alot of resources towards the coding portion. So besides that, as a system by itself Whats the difference between Pilot Assist 2 vs 1 then?

I know higher speed tolerance, but now it says no longer needing a pilot car to track? So whats it using besides lane markings and forward collision sensors

#7 ·
Mobile eye as the supplier at leasts puts them in the same realm. Now autopilot different in the way Tesla is crowdsourcing and also putting alot of resources towards the coding portion. So besides that, as a system by itself Whats the difference between Pilot Assist 2 vs 1 then?

I know higher speed tolerance, but now it says no longer needing a pilot car to track? So whats it using besides lane markings and forward collision sensors
It's possible that the only difference is in the software. Since you can partially do it already with just LKA and ACC at high speeds, perhaps it's just opened up a little more. It almost certainly will still track surrounding cars when they're there.

#6 ·
The programs are similar in their objectives, but utilize different hardware, software and control strategies. Tesla uses a camera from Mobileye and a separate radar unit from a different supplier, while Volvo uses a combined camera and radar unit from Delphi. The Delphi unit was developed with Mobileye, whose primary expertise is image processing technology, and with Volvo on the user end.

Mobileye and the radar manufacturer(s) provide visual and radar image processing software, but each car manufacturer has to integrate the data from the sensors and make their own decisions about the nature of the objects detected by the sensors, how this, additional information and systems should be used to control the car, and develop the HMI. This requires significant in-house analysis of traffic situations, driver behavior and software development.

I don't know how much in-house work Tesla is doing, but I certainly wouldn't assume that it's more than Volvo, especially given Volvo much longer history and research in this area. There is however a difference in development approach. Tesla uses owners much more in development: Beta software is released to the public and subsequently refined based on feedback. Volvo takes a more cautious approach of releasing features when they are more fully baked.

#9 ·
I haven't seen any info on the next version of Volvo's Pilot Assist. Where is everyone getting their info? What's the top speed it can handle? Hopefully, the 2016 XC90 will be compatible for a software upgrade. I love using Pilot Assist and wish it would at least go up to 40 mph.
I believe the S90 was advertised as having a pilot assist system that can go up to 70 or 80mph without the need for a lead vehicle. I hope we're able to get it on our current XC90s as well.

#11 ·
First time Volvo owner as well as to this site. We were drawn to Volvo due to the Pilot Assist which seems second only to Tesla. I live in Chicago, and having owned the XC90 for 800 miles, our experience with PA has been underwhelming. It seems to require lane markings on both sides of the vehicle. In the city or suburbs, many single lane roads have no lane markings on the passenger side rendering PA inoperable. I frequently get the No Lanes Detected. Having said that, when it does work, it is magical.

I would love to see PA for speeds at least up to 40-45 for non-highway driving. 30 seems a rather arbitrary limit (albeit a safe restriction during the introduction of PA). More importantly, assuming the hardware and processing power is comparable in the 2016 and 2017, why couldn't Volvo allow the 2016 XC90s' PA to work up to 80 mph through a software update? Not being an engineer but an avid fan of mobile technology, it doesn't seem that hardware changes dramatically in one year to render software inoperable. Tesla , I think, had the same hardware in the model s for a few years before finally enabling their Auto Pilot.

#13 ·
I'm guessing here, but I'd assume the streets in Sweden aren't as crap as they are in most part of the US. For the system to have to use lane markings, as it does today, renders it useless a lot of the time.
At least here in Texas, the road markings and general road quality isn't wonderful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.