SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1180 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears the Pilot Assist in the new S90 (launched today) is active up to 80MPH.
AutoExpress suggests this may be soon available as an upgrade to the XC90:

QUOTE: The (S90) safety story is even stronger than on the XC90, too. There's the same City Safe autonomous emergency braking, self-parking, 360 degree camera system and pedestrian detection, but the semi-autonomous driving feature that will follow the car in front (and the lines in the road) to leave you feet-free and hands-free is now available at speeds of up to 80mph. That's a big jump from the measly 30mph in the XC90. We're told an upgrade will be available for XC90 owners, but Volvo hasn't decided whether it will charge existing owners for the privilege - let's hope it sees sense on that one.

LINK: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volvo/88591/new-2016-volvo-s90-targets-executive-car-top-spot

·
Registered
26 Posts
That would be amazing. I wonder if it's just a software update.
And if the apply steering warning can go away or at least extend the time frame then I won't be envious of Tesla's autonomous driving.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
That would be amazing. I wonder if it's just a software update.
And if the apply steering warning can go away or at least extend the time frame then I won't be envious of Tesla's autonomous driving.
I've noticed the timing on the apply steer appears to be variable to conditions. Today I was using it and had really just turned it on maybe 10 second before when the traffic slowed quickly -- not emergency braking but enough that it had to slow quickly -- and it immediately asked me to apply steering, far sooner than it usually does.

·
Registered
541 Posts
If the XC90 gets this upgrade, it would basically decrease my use of the ACC drastically... I need this!!!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
This would be AWESOME! I really hope the offer it to current XC90 owners.....

·
Registered
295 Posts
OMG, yes! I've been so jealous of Tesla drivers who have been able to drive freely. Definitely worth an upgrade for my commute. :D

·
Registered
419 Posts
If the XC90 gets this upgrade, it would basically decrease my use of the ACC drastically... I need this!!!
I think the Pilot Assist in the XC 90 is "governed" by the software. If that's true, it is a software change to remove the limitation; however, I also thought this was a regulatory limitation in the US.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think the Pilot Assist in the XC 90 is "governed" by the software. If that's true, it is a software change to remove the limitation..
Yep, I agree. The question is whether it's governed by software because there's an additional piece of hardware necessary to make it safe at 80MPH (for example, is there an additional sensor volvo added that makes them feel confident to increase the speed).

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I think the Pilot Assist in the XC 90 is "governed" by the software. If that's true, it is a software change to remove the limitation; however, I also thought this was a regulatory limitation in the US.

Not regulatory limitation if Tesla is able to do it in the US. I'm very curious if the Jalopnik statement about not needing to follow another car is true.

·
Registered
702 Posts
We're told an upgrade will be available for XC90 owners, but Volvo hasn't decided whether it will charge existing owners for the privilege - let's hope it sees sense on that one. [/I]

I'd be willing to be they will charge for this, and everything else they can.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I like this! And hope it is well tested!

Steering at 80mph is a very dedicated work. Anything wrong in the steering motor could easily be fatal.

Well, 80mph is too high for US. 75 will be perfect. :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Steering at 80mph is a very dedicated work. Anything wrong in the steering motor could easily be fatal.
Even if my XC90 had this feature, there is no way I would rely on it. You would have to be crazy to take your hands off the wheel at that speed.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
If they allowed "up to 80MPH" and no lead car to follow they will have to change the functionality to be more like ACC and allow you to set a target max sped.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Even if my XC90 had this feature, there is no way I would rely on it. You would have to be crazy to take your hands off the wheel at that speed.
Considering Volvo's history, I doubt they would implement a feature if the tech wasn't sufficient. Can you imagine the liabilities they'd open themselves up to? No way they'd be reckless about that.

Plus we've already seen it in action with the Tesla's. The tech exists.

1 - 20 of 1180 Posts