SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a four hour drive in our 2018 xc90 inscription. We bought it as a left over two months ago. I don’t drive this car much as it’s my wife’s daily driver but I found the pilot assist really underperforming relative to my recollection. I spent a lot of time in a s90 with pilot assist on the left coast so my expectations for the vehicle are from my time with that more than the xc90.

In short, is it possible something is off and needs calibration or fix?

On long straights at 50-75 it tends to ping-pong a little bit. Cornering left it does a pretty good job following the road. Coming out of a straight away turning right it’s a coin toss if the sucker is going to cross the center line and require major intervention.

I know this system requires babysitting, and I’m not expecting self driving... but this really underperforms relative to my experience with the s90.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Jorgen

·
Registered
95 Posts
From reading the forums it seems like most people have a decent experience with it, but there are a few that have had really sloppy performance requiring some work by the dealer. From my experience in a 2017 XC90 where I use it about 1.5 hours a day, it does a pretty decent job. One shortcoming that I have noticed is that when there is a dip in the highway, after the dip when the car pitches up again it tends to swerve a bit to the left. I'm not sure if the radar/camera system in the windshield is gimballed but if it is it could be yawing slightly causing the swerve. Also every once in awhile when I'm slowly passing an 18 wheeler as I approach from the left the car tends to start hugging the right lane line, getting closer to the truck rather than maintaining the center of the lane as it usually does. Other than that it's been quiet good. It doesn't change lanes and do well in moderates turns like a Tesla, but for my type of driving, mostly highway with slight curves, it's been great.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Hard to say. I can relate to what you're saying sometimes, but my guess is that was because it was at different roads, different time of day, and different traffic conditions. Perhaps if you were to drive the s90 in the road you just took in the xc90, you will experience the same oddity?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Coming out of a straight away turning right it’s a coin toss if the sucker is going to cross the center line and require major intervention.
Are your hands on or off the wheel in this situation?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I had a similar experience during my 2000+ mile road trip on last long weekend. I got it upgraded to PA2 before the trip and really liked it during the short trips but during this road trip, the steering wheel kept adjusting every second like its playing ping pong as the OP mentioned. I had almost all the experiences like OP mentioned and had even more. Lot of times it tried to go into exit when I am in the right lane, went really close to the vehicles on the right when passing, didn't exactly kept the vehicle in center between lanes. Had my hands on the wheel all the times, so no surprises but many times its like I am fighting with the car to steer out of the things I mentioned, especially when it wants to take the exit lane.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have had mixed experiences with it. It once got to the point where it would not even register solid yellow lines. Its fine now after re-calibration for a dealership. I truly believe that performance is impacted both by the cleanliness of the windshield and the voltage of the secondary battery under the hood. Anytime I put a charger to it the whole interface of the main cabin screen reacts faster and autopilot seems to react more quickly.

·
Registered
664 Posts
They change things in the software updates that definitely affects the way PA behaves. My software in my 2018 XC60 hasn’t been updated since fall 2018. PA worked better before that update. Lately, it’s been worse it seems, very strange behavior on freshly painted lane markings, car wants to pull into the other lane and you really have to fight it to stay in it’s lane. It goes in soon for the 30k service, I’ll mention it to the service advisor then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts