SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I'm sure this has been talked about but I have some specific questions. I just put money down on a 2019 cpo Volvo XC60 t5 momentum 30k miles with premium and multimedia packages. It was in a very rare trim: crystal white with tan interior and lime wood inlays. During the test drive, our saleswoman mentioned Park assist (not that important where I live but a bonus nonetheless). At that point I looked at the steering wheel and noticed it had distance adjuster buttons for adaptive cruise control. I never asked if it actually HAD adaptive cruise control because this is my first Volvo and most manufacturers simply don't have the buttons if it's not included on the one you're purchasing. Shame on me for not asking. I have by now, figured out that you can get it installed for roughly 2k (maybe less). I'm really bummed that the car is perfect, save for that. I'm happy there's a solution, but upset at the cost. If I do get it done, will this be considered pilot assist 2 or pilot assist? How can I tell? I'm pretty sure on mine I'd require the hydraulic part based on research. It's something that I can't live without as I use it on my current car, daily. I'm so surprised that it wouldn't be included on a luxury car at that late model and price- especially considering it has all the sensors already and is really just hydraulic pump and software update. Turns out, I needed one with the advanced package to get it from the get go. Live and learn. Any information and advice on this subject would be so helpful. Thank you all in advance for your comments! I have a local independent shop with near perfect reviews that specializes in volvos since the 70's (they sponsor racing them as well). Wonder if they'd do it for less?

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
The XC60 T5 Momentum is Volvo's base model and therefore lacks adaptive cruise control
As far as I know, Audi and BMW do not have adaptive cruise control in the basic models
In the Audi Q5 it is standard equipment in the Premium Plus package
Adaptive cruise control in the new Momentum 2022 is part of the $ 2500 Advanced package

In the Inscription and R-Design models, it is part of the additional Advance package priced at $ 2,050
Adaptive cruise control is part of the Advance package in all 2022 models

I think retrofitting is possible as for everything else but whether it pays off is something else

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Pilot Assist is standard on 2018+ XC90, but an option on XC60. You can contact customer support and ask them about a coupon up to $200 off for accessory purchase, and use it on the PA installation. It is PA2 for sure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pilot Assist is standard on 2018+ XC90, but an option on XC60. You can contact customer support and ask them about a coupon up to $200 off for accessory purchase, and use it on the PA installation. It is PA2 for sure.
Thank you for this advice! Will contacting them via E-mail work better than phone? Wonder if I can get them to give me an accessory coupon greater than $200?

·
Registered
82 Posts
As far as I know, Audi and BMW do not have adaptive cruise control in the basic models
Audi and Benz also have it as optional features. BMW, and this absolutely amazed me since they love the nickel & dime approach, started including Driver Assistance on 2019 models standard.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2100 dollars! That's what they quoted me! No way I'm paying that. Guess no adaptive for me unless dealer will split it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't worry, I got one that had almost all the options but 4 zone climate control ac seats, and seat extensions (don't need any). First Volvo and I'm freaking out! So nice!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would count your lucky stars that you even have the option to upgrade. That's pretty much unheard of on most cars - what it comes with from the factory, in the way of electronics, is what you get.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Why in the world would the dealer offer to split it for you?

But yeah, I don't believe ANY of my competition has standard adaptive cruise for this class vehicle. I think as of 2020 BMW still had it in TWO packages... one for the low speed, and then a second upgrade for highway. They may have changed that, but I remember seeing it not long ago and was amazed.

And as much as I wouldn't even consider buying a new Volvo without it, I have lots of customers who don't think it offers any value at all. Especially women, they tell me they don't like to give up that control and trust the car. I tell them it's not giving any control up and you don't trust the car at all, it's just a driving aid, but it doesn't "click".

Reactions: OlRedHair

·
Registered
1,326 Posts

But yeah, I don't believe ANY of my competition has standard adaptive cruise for this class vehicle. I think as of 2020 BMW still had it in TWO packages... one for the low speed, and then a second upgrade for highway. They may have changed that, but I remember seeing it not long ago and was amazed.

And as much as I wouldn't even consider buying a new Volvo without it, I have lots of customers who don't think it offers any value at all. Especially women, they tell me they don't like to give up that control and trust the car. I tell them it's not giving any control up and you don't trust the car at all, it's just a driving aid, but it doesn't "click".
I’m a female, have it, and love it.

Nora in Florida
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I’m a female, have it, and love it.

Nora in Florida
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just a trend... sorta like I'd say most folks on the forum are men. Lots of women are into cars and technology too.

Reactions: OlRedHair

·
Registered
789 Posts

@DFrantz, you are so right. When I purchased our S60, my wife made it clear she wanted the car without the nanny features. She tries to turn them off and I leave them on after I drive her car.

Question for @Tech or @DFrantz, Can CTA be added to my V90 wagon? The build configuration is in the signature block below.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

As I said, I ended up buying one with it and got my money back on the other. As to why they'd do it, to sell me the car. I'm very persuasive and always get my way in the deal. I scrutinize all profit centers in car buying. This information is all available online. I do make sure the salesperson that deals with me well gets a profit, I'm just not raked over the coals like some. I know the process and I know the cars; the latter usually better than the salesperson. I've been known to throw them money directly if they save me cash in various ways. Builds a good relationship of no BS and faster car-buying.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
For the salesperson. To accept a gift in exchange for undercutting your employer. Of course you're asking someone to do something underhanded as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For the salesperson. To accept a gift in exchange for undercutting your employer. Of course you're asking someone to do something underhanded as well.
I think you're right on both fronts. But the salesperson still has to OK the deal with the manager. I generally don't speak with them. Basically I always say "Do you want to sell the car or not?" If not, I'll walk. You either want to sell it or you don't. If you bought the car for too much and have too much into it for discounts, that's on you. Of course, I also recognize a good deal up front. When that happens, I negotiate very little or none at all. But I always make it clear I don't want to be lied to. And I will catch you in it. Soon as I hear a lie, I walk out without a response to them saying, "Sir, where are you going?". This salesperson I just had was the hardest working one I've ever seen. She really worked hard for my wife and I. She will now always get my business.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I suppose it can depend on the type of store. I don't really ever go to a manager for pricing. We don't have finance folks either so no one has to make a living selling warranties at double the cost or trying to mark up rates. We don't do the back and forth games. Gotta make money, but you're right, no reason to make too much or even try to every step of the process. I'm also not going to be the cheapest person around as I don't make a living on volume and saying good luck. I also am sensitive to the competitive environment and don't like selling something for more than it should be. I appeal to folks who want someone to be detailed with them and be available for years down the road when questions come up. Nothing is "free", so splitting the cost of something just means you're not getting the discount somewhere else. I thought you meant after the sale originally, which of course is a whole other topic. But I would be upset if someone tried to offer me cash to get them a better deal. IMO integrity is too important, especially in a field that isn't overly known for it. I am more of a consumer advocate than my boss would like probably, but I look out for the company interest first.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I suppose it can depend on the type of store. I don't really ever go to a manager for pricing. We don't have finance folks either so no one has to make a living selling warranties at double the cost or trying to mark up rates. We don't do the back and forth games. Gotta make money, but you're right, no reason to make too much or even try to every step of the process. I'm also not going to be the cheapest person around as I don't make a living on volume and saying good luck. I also am sensitive to the competitive environment and don't like selling something for more than it should be. I appeal to folks who want someone to be detailed with them and be available for years down the road when questions come up. Nothing is "free", so splitting the cost of something just means you're not getting the discount somewhere else. I thought you meant after the sale originally, which of course is a whole other topic. But I would be upset if someone tried to offer me cash to get them a better deal. IMO integrity is too important, especially in a field that isn't overly known for it. I am more of a consumer advocate than my boss would like probably, but I look out for the company interest first.
The way I look at it is this: If I remove most of your profit centers, you don't make money. I don't mind removing it from the dealership, I mind removing it from the salespeople. So instead of the dealership sending it to the top dog or fancy lights in the showroom, I remove their ability to decide where it goes and instead build on to the people at the bottom who usually deserve it. Crap rolls downhill. There aren't too many managers I've met that are nice to customer and employee. I watch interactions closely. 9 out of 10 times, they're condescending to the employee, customer, or both. Admittedly though, they have to deal with some tough customers and obtuse employees. But as a manager, you should know how to deal with those professionally. In my experience, some do, most don't. I don't like when dealerships assume I owe them. If you're trying to sell me something, then I suggest you act like you want it sold. The woman at this dealership got salesperson of the year (just for the dealership), she sold way more volvos than any other there. At first, management hated her, till they realized she actually makes out better on the volume. That's how she operates. Let the woman work.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Well you know Volvo requires our showrooms meet their standards... we get audited to have them look in a certain way. Heck, we get in trouble if we have bottled water rather than compostable cups. Those sort of costs are real costs a dealership has to incur in order to sell Volvos. That's part of the idea of the "holdback". It helps pay for the operation as well as the floorplan of inventory.

And as always, I'm just talking here, I've never tried to tell someone they SHOULD buy from me or my dealership.... but I've also been in the industry for a long time and can firmly say I choose this dealership because of it's reputation. I shopped for where to work and wouldn't work at some of the places I had in the past. My manager started with the company in 2007 (I got my sales license in 2008 at a different dealer). She's actually a few years younger than myself and she's 100% on top of it. Very customer focused and excessively nice to everyone. So I have zero complaints with anyone who works above me. We don't play the "turn over" games, but if I'm busy and a customer of mine comes in she'll be glad to help them out. She's certainly nicer than I am, so I don't mind if she helps, nor do my customers. We are a small family run dealer. We have two stores, and between the two stores we have six sales people, a manager of each store and a used car manager who works at both stores. We using being small to our advantage, which is also to our customers IMO. I have the "newest" sales license of anyone at my store... I am not sure if the one guy at the other store has been in longer than me or not, but otherwise...no one here is fresh and green and frankly, you don't keep that many folks who have been in the industry for that long without doing things a little different. When our state made it illegal for us to sell cars in early 2020, our owner decided to pay us on our previous years income... because he didn't want to lose us. MOST folks who have been in the industry a long time that I've known don't do so by taking advantage of customers. I think that would burn you out mentally, or make for such a toxic environment that it would hurt the business itself. But one market I've never worked in is the big cities... I don't know how those places operate, but I get some idea seeing some of the adenium stickers and fees.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts