SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this video from an XC90 owner who was brave enough to try out the autonomous driving features.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ha! That's my daily commute - on the Dulles Toll Road, Northern Virginia, USA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I still haven't found it very useful. I was trapped in about an hour of stop-and-go traffic last week which should have been perfect for it. But every 30 seconds it would require me to apply steering or it would disconnect. That was frequent enough that it was just as easy to do it manually. Plus people kept cutting me off when I was in Pilot Assist because it created a gap between cars and there was virtually a non-stop group of people who would exploit that. Then it would trigger the proximity alert when they did which was annoying.

On a related matter, as I had feared and speculated on this forum before I got the car, I have found the automatically braking safety feature annoying. It went off 5 different times on that trip last week, none of them necessarily. It just can't deal with NY-area bumper-to-bumper traffic well.

·
Registered
295 Posts
As someone who's done some "extensive" testing of my own, I wouldn't rely on the lane keeping assist if you don't plan to steer at over 50mph. The steering aid comes in very late and just barely keeps you within the lines. And as shown in the video, after roughly 15-20 seconds it'll ask you to put your hands on the wheel. If not it'll turn off the system and you're a sitting duck until you take over.

Furthermore, I've noticed any curve steeper than 35 degrees or so is not enough for the lane keeping assist to actively steer for you. God forbid you fall asleep at that moment, I'm fairly sure you're heading into the crash rail.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
As someone who's done some "extensive" testing of my own, I wouldn't rely on the lane keeping assist if you don't plan to steer at over 50mph. The steering aid comes in very late and just barely keeps you within the lines. And as shown in the video, after roughly 15-20 seconds it'll ask you to put your hands on the wheel. If not it'll turn off the system and you're a sitting duck until you take over.

Furthermore, I've noticed any curve steeper than 35 degrees or so is not enough for the lane keeping assist to actively steer for you. God forbid you fall asleep at that moment, I'm fairly sure you're heading into the crash rail.
I thought we were talking about Pilot Assist, not Lane Keeping Assist.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I like the pilot assist a lot. I'm always using it. When it asks you to apply steering, I just very lightly apply pressure to the wheel. For real stop and go traffic, it def eases the ride for me. I'm often flipping between it and adaptive cruise control.

I find the lane keeping assist to be excellent as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My wife and I took our first road trip (LA to Vegas) in the XC90 and made heavy use of pilot assist and adaptive cruise control. I was surprised how well it worked. Here's a little video of me using pilot assist.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
The system works as designed; to prevent you from getting into any difficult situations under certain circumstances. It is not designed to take over driving the car, for you. You are a sitting duck if you allow yourself to become a sitting duck. ;)

See above comment. You and also see above video that shows the system is working as designed. It is not designed to guide you around steep curves; at least, not yet.

As far as the guardrail comment is concerned, you are in a Volvo...

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
My wife and I in the XC90 using adaptive cruise control, we drive right through a stop sign....

Wife: What are you doing? That was a stop sign!
Me: The car doesn't see stop signs.

Again, my wife and I, this time drive right through a red light....

Wife: You just drove through a red light!
Me : I know, it doesn't see red lights.
Wife: You have to stop it!
Me :Don't worry, it has auto braking. If something crosses our path it'll hit the brakes.
Wife: (Unamused angry look)
Me : (Shrug)

Just kidding of course, I did hit the brakes pretty hard both times but the conversations are relatively accurate. I can't wait until it sees stop signs and red lights!:D

·
Registered
295 Posts
The system works as designed; to prevent you from getting into any difficult situations under certain circumstances. It is not designed to take over driving the car, for you. You are a sitting duck if you allow yourself to become a sitting duck. ;)

See above comment. You and also see above video that shows the system is working as designed. It is not designed to guide you around steep curves; at least, not yet.

As far as the guardrail comment is concerned, you are in a Volvo...
I'm fully aware of all of that. I was cautioning others to rely on the car past what it was designed to do. My personal tests were for myself, just so I knew what exactly were its limits.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think I have tried or experienced most of the safety features after a couple of weeks of driving. I'm not interested (apparently) in having the car drive itself, but I have felt the lane keeping assistant a few times -- it's subtle but pretty cool, even on a curve. The ACC is pretty amazing, and I like the little tractor beam graphic that appears when you are using it and there's a car in front of you. It seems like you can adjust the following distance to be closer or further, but I like the default setting best, even if it allows enough room that other cars can cut in in front of you. The Blind Spot signals are pretty useful on the freeway. The cross-traffic alert (which would basically tell you when a car is coming by behind you as you are about to reverse out of a parking spot) is useful. Yesterday, it alerted me that a pedestrian was coming in a cross-walk on a four-lane road as I was coming to a stop. I have also seen the "impact warning" icon and alarm pop up in the HUD when a car came to a very sudden stop in front of me. All very cool, and it seems to be pitched in such a way that it gets my attention without freaking me out. Very impressed so far.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
My wife and I in the XC90 using adaptive cruise control, we drive right through a stop sign....

Wife: What are you doing? That was a stop sign!
Me: The car doesn't see stop signs.

Again, my wife and I, this time drive right through a red light....

Wife: You just drove through a red light!
Me : I know, it doesn't see red lights.
Wife: You have to stop it!
Me :Don't worry, it has auto braking. If something crosses our path it'll hit the brakes.
Wife: (Unamused angry look)
Me : (Shrug)

Just kidding of course, I did hit the brakes pretty hard both times but the conversations are relatively accurate. I can't wait until it sees stop signs and red lights!:D
Oh no, I think you are using Pilot Assist, not ACC, which is active only above certain speed (30mph, I don't remember), while Pilot Assist works below 30mph.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Oh no, I think you are using Pilot Assist, not ACC, which is active only above certain speed (30mph, I don't remember), while Pilot Assist works below 30mph.
Minimum speed is 18.5 mph (or 30 km/h).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I still haven't found it very useful. I was trapped in about an hour of stop-and-go traffic last week which should have been perfect for it. But every 30 seconds it would require me to apply steering or it would disconnect. That was frequent enough that it was just as easy to do it manually. Plus people kept cutting me off when I was in Pilot Assist because it created a gap between cars and there was virtually a non-stop group of people who would exploit that. Then it would trigger the proximity alert when they did which was annoying.

On a related matter, as I had feared and speculated on this forum before I got the car, I have found the automatically braking safety feature annoying. It went off 5 different times on that trip last week, none of them necessarily. It just can't deal with NY-area bumper-to-bumper traffic well.
You can set the following distance on the steering wheel. Mine worked amazingly in the heaviest stop and go traffic on LA's notorious 210 Freeway. It followed very closely to the car ahead. There were no gaps.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
You can set the following distance on the steering wheel. Mine worked amazingly in the heaviest stop and go traffic on LA's notorious 210 Freeway. It followed very closely to the car ahead. There were no gaps.
Yeah, I know you can set the distance. I had it set to the minimum distance and was still getting cut-off -- welcome to NY.

Anyway, I have thousands of miles on my car now and still haven't managed to use this feature much despite trying dozens of time. We use ACC religiously and it's great. But the conditions for using Pilot Assist or so picky. You have to be in traffic that is consistently below 30 MPH, you have to have a car to follow within close distance, you have to have clear lines in great shape on both sides of the road, you can't have construction barriers or concrete dividers close to your side (even if there is a line on both sides clearly marked), it doesn't activate in the rain or in the dark, etc. I can't tell you how many times I have found a stretch of stop-and-go traffic that had a line on both sides but it still refused to activate. And on those rare chances it did, between the need for me to "apply steering" every so many seconds, and the need to tap it to re-start from a stop and the need to take over every time traffic drifted above 30 for a second, I have found it easier just to use ACC which works all the way to to a stop and start again and the minimal steering required is no more effort than the need to repeatedly "apply steering" with Pilot Assist anyway.

But I'm glad others are finding more use for it. Perhaps it is just the nature of road conditions int the region I travel in...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts