SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,
I am about to order my first Volvo (an S60 Inscription) and I am wondering about it's Pilot Assist capabilities in a heavy traffic situation.

From what I've seen, PA can easily deal with stop-and-go traffic, though if the vehicle is stopped for more than a few seconds, requires manual driver input to resume following the car ahead. Question is - does Volvo's Pilot Assist have feature comparable to Subaru's "Lead Vehicle Start Alert" (see this Youtube video ) - that is... does it produce an audible cue that the traffic ahead has moved and now would be a good time to look back at the road/resume the active cruise control?
Seems all the hardware is there... though is something like this available in the software?
Or do you know if Volvo has plans to introduce this in the future?

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
The car behind you will send you the beep. :)

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The car behind you will send you the beep. :)
That's what I would call a 'late' notification system... :) Surely, it can get worse (someone ramming you) so who am I to complain?

Seriously though... the tech is pretty old and our Volvos are all but equipped with the correct hardware to gently wake you up with a chime when the traffic has moved, soo....
Wouldn't it be cool if Volvo could introduce sth like this as a SW update? Do you know does Subaru hold a patent on this? (not sure if I have seen this on other vehicles).

BTW. Has someone tried to suggest sth like this to Gothenburg gurus?

EDIT: Forgot to mention - the new BMW only requires you to *look* back at the road to resume following the lead vehicle (this is actually not possible without additional hardware, but hey... a nice idea)

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
That's what I would call a 'late' notification system... :) Surely, it can get worse (someone ramming you) so who am I to complain?

Seriously though... the tech is pretty old and our Volvos are all but equipped with the correct hardware to gently wake you up with a chime when the traffic has moved, soo....
Wouldn't it be cool if Volvo could introduce sth like this as a SW update? Do you know does Subaru hold a patent on this? (not sure if I have seen this on other vehicles).

BTW. Has someone tried to suggest sth like this to Gothenburg gurus?

EDIT: Forgot to mention - the new BMW only requires you to *look* back at the road to resume following the lead vehicle (this is actually not possible without additional hardware, but hey... a nice idea)
If you want the car to wake you up on road by chimes, better stay home for now and wait for L5 self-driving cars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you want the car to wake you up on road by chimes, better stay home for now and wait for L5 self-driving cars.
Oh c'mon: have you never waited to resume driving a second too long and got a not-so-friendly horn? It is not about being woken up by a a pleasant jingle - rather the car letting you know *the moment* traffic ahead moves, as compared to you - noticing that a second later, surely being cursed at by all the following drivers.
Where I leave, if you leave more space in front of you to fit a car... there surely will be two cars trying to claim that spot

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Oh c'mon: have you never waited to resume driving a second too long and got a not-so-friendly horn? It is not about being woken up by a a pleasant jingle - rather the car letting you know *the moment* traffic ahead moves, as compared to you - noticing that a second later, surely being cursed at by all the following drivers.
Where I leave, if you leave more space in front of you to fit a car... there surely will be two cars trying to claim that spot
Why didn't you know immediately the car in front moved away?
My point is: either you drive, or the L5 car drives.

If you want an incompetent car to drive you, don't complain when the car doesn't drive you. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My point is: either you drive, or the L5 car drives.
I do get your point. Thing is - I.... kind of disagree :)
If you want to make an argument that either you have L5 ego vehicle or a L1... should we remove ACC and PA? My point being - there absolutely *are* technologies which don't make the car autonomous... but are just plain convenient. I don't get why would you label any handy enhancement as "not really L5-worthy" and dismiss right off the bat.

Note the Subaru tech I mentioned is *at least* 7y old (see this ancient video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzEqR4oq1Qw). Does it mean Subaru had L3 vehicles back in 2012? Nah, they didn't even think to claim that (btw. it does not *drive*, just senses). On the flip side - is it useful to some? Yes, at least for one (me)

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
I do get your point. Thing is - I.... kind of disagree :)
If you want to make an argument that either you have L5 ego vehicle or a L1... should we remove ACC and PA? My point being - there absolutely *are* technologies which don't make the car autonomous... but are just plain convenient. I don't get why would you label any handy enhancement as "not really L5-worthy" and dismiss right off the bat.

Note the Subaru tech I mentioned is *at least* 7y old (see this ancient video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzEqR4oq1Qw). Does it mean Subaru had L3 vehicles back in 2012? Nah, they didn't even think to claim that (btw. it does not *drive*, just senses). On the flip side - is it useful to some? Yes, at least for one (me)
Convenient doesn't mean driver can be absent-minded and need an alarm to bring back attention.
And alarm doesn't work for human very well. Absent-minded or otherwise mind-occupied human can't be brought back on task immediately reliably.
How often you wake up immediately after alarm clock rings? Fire alarm has to be so loud to make people evacuate.

L2 and L3 cars are still dumb and need your attention, full. It is the new style of driving the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you have never got stuck in a traffic jam so bad, you have more than 30 minutes of standstil... well, I am actually soo jealous :D
I have, unfortunatelly... Rarely - but it definitelly happens. And as shocking as is may be - if stationary for such a long time, I try to do anything but concentrating on the road. It's exhausting (for me!) to focus on the road when there's literally nothing going on. Exhausted driver = dangerous driver.

Absent-minded or otherwise mind-occupied human can't be brought back on task immediately reliably.
I actually happen to agree with that statement... Though, you do realize you could apply that level of thinking to literally all aids (autopilot in a jet being a prime example)?

In any case, I don't want to turn this technical Q to a debate about driving aids. Clearly, there are some folks who feel tools like adaptive cruise control are pure evil just because they let the driver pay less attention. If you are one of such folks... that's OK, really :). We can agree to disagree on that I would like to use sth like this, and you would not. The only point I tried to get across is that I do *not* consider this an autonomus driving feature.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
The car is dumb. It better not be dumb and also annoying, and send alarms that you will soon get tired to find out what the alarm is about.

Those aids are good when you use it in the right way. It reduce muscle tiresome, but still need your brain on guard.

Use your attention, use your brain, not relying on alarms. This my opinion.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
364 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts