SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my 2019 T6 Rdesign. Prior to this I had a 2017 T5 Momentum. The new one has pilot assist while the old one did not . However during ownership of the 2017 I did have a loaner that had pilot assist.

Here is my question . I am almost positive in the loaner I had with pilot assist the vehicle would resume driving forward after coming to a complete stop once the vehicle in front of me would start to drive forward. In my new one if I am at a standstill for more then a couple seconds the pilot assist needs to be resumed by pressing the resume button on the wheel . Am I doing something wrong or am I not remembering correctly about the loaner working the way I remember it ? Thanks in advance !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
ACC works by itself or in conjunction with Pilot Assist.

ACC controls speed, braking, slow, stop, move, real. Pilot Assist adds the steering feature. I mention this for clarity.

If engaged and not overridden by the driver, ACC will start moving again once stopped once there is sufficient time-to-distance based on your setting one bar - five bars.

Five bars will have the greatest delay to move as it is allowing sufficient spacing between you and the vehicle ahead. One bar would have the least delay

You may press the ACC resume (top) button to initiate the start a bit sooner but there is still some dependency on the your setting for the minimum time to distance (number of bars).

Of course, a third way is to press the accelerator but not for long as you may disengage ACC.

I am unaware whether MY19s changes this behavior. I doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ACC works by itself or in conjunction with Pilot Assist.

ACC controls speed, braking, slow, stop, move, real. Pilot Assist adds the steering feature. I mention this for clarity.

If engaged and not overridden by the driver, ACC will start moving again once stopped once there is sufficient time-to-distance based on your setting one bar - five bars.

Five bars will have the greatest delay to move as it is allowing sufficient spacing between you and the vehicle ahead. One bar would have the least delay

You may press the ACC resume (top) button to initiate the start a bit sooner but there is still some dependency on the your setting for the minimum time to distance (number of bars).

Of course, a third way is to press the accelerator but not for long as you may disengage ACC.

I am unaware whether MY19s changes this behavior. I doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hmmm I am guessing i had both activated since it is keeping me at a distance , slowing , and accelerating and stoping on its own , it’s just not resuming after being stopped for more then 2 or 3 seconds .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hmmm I am guessing i had both activated since it is keeping me at a distance , slowing , and accelerating and stoping on its own , it’s just not resuming after being stopped for more then 2 or 3 seconds .

Mine does the same thing. If the vehicle in front stop for longer than 3 second, the steering wheel icon will change from gray to darker gray, that mean you have to reactiva the pilot assist again by press resume button or push the accelerator pedal.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine does the same thing. If the vehicle in front stop for longer than 3 second, the steering wheel icon will change from gray to darker gray, that mean you have to reactiva the pilot assist again by press resume button or push the accelerator pedal.

Yes that’s exactly what’s happening .

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
This sounds not optimal but it is for important safety. In many cases you can't just go when the car in front moves at intersection.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts

OP - for my '19, it seems hit or miss. Sometimes the car will start on it's own, sometimes not. I have yet to figure out what is causing it to start on it's own and other times it will never.

Certainly if you touch the brakes, auto pilot is turned off till you activate it.

In all cases, for me, the steering wheel icon goes grey while stopped. If the car decides to start going, it turn green once it starts moving.

I sometimes use the "brake hold" switch. I am not sure if that anything to do with it.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
OP - for my '19, it seems hit or miss. Sometimes the car will start on it's own, sometimes not. I have yet to figure out what is causing it to start on it's own and other times it will never.

Certainly if you touch the brakes, auto pilot is turned off till you activate it.

In all cases, for me, the steering wheel icon goes grey while stopped. If the car decides to start going, it turn green once it starts moving.

I sometimes use the "brake hold" switch. I am not sure if that anything to do with it.
I think it is timed. If stopped longer than 2-3 seconds, it will not start moving by itself. If less than that, it will go forward again.

·
Registered
382 Posts
It is timed. The manual says it will go into Standby mode and Auto-hold function will be activated if the car in front stops "for less than approximately 3 seconds". I use the "Circle+" button to get it going again vs the accelerator pedal. The manual then goes on to say 'Pilot Assist will resume following the vehicle ahead if it begins to move within approx. 6 seconds! So seems a little convoluted.

I think it is timed. If stopped longer than 2-3 seconds, it will not start moving by itself. If less than that, it will go forward again.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
It is timed. The manual says it will go into Standby mode and Auto-hold function will be activated if the car in front stops "for less than approximately 3 seconds". I use the "Circle+" button to get it going again vs the accelerator pedal. The manual then goes on to say 'Pilot Assist will resume following the vehicle ahead if it begins to move within approx. 6 seconds! So seems a little convoluted.
Because it has something to do with following leading vehicle. If there is no leading vehicle, ACC will be unavailable under speed <20mph. If there is a leading vehicle, Pilot Assist will follow it from 0mph.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts

It's operating as per design depending on conditions. I find it's been very reliable/predictable in our 2017 XC90 T8 and across SPA XC90/V90/S90 loaners from 2017 to 2019 I've driven. If the car is stopped for more than 3s ACC or PAII goes into standby where you have to reactivate either with accelerator press or restart button on the steering wheel. You can find more information about it in the owner's manual which describes the "Auto-hold brake function" will engage if the vehicle is stopped for more than 3sec and it will place ACC into standby mode. What I didn't know and I've not noticed are other scenarios where it would go into standby mode, like when switching targets (vehicles it's following) and your speed is below 3mph.

Here's the excerpt from my 2017 manual. You should also look up PA instructions for more information about it's standby and other functions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts