SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if the Pilot Assist feature is available on Canadian models of the XC90?

This is the semi-autonomous driving feature that works under 50 km/h (30 mph) and follows the car in front of you, keeps you in your lane, etc. It's the feature described in this article: http://www.computerworld.com/articl...lvo-xc90-t6-is-my-favorite-high-tech-car.html

It's listed in the Convenience Package for the US models, but not so on the Canadian feature sheets. Does anyone know if it's in there but just under a different name or something?

I've posed this question to my local dealer, but he doesn't seem to know. He tried to tell me that the Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Keep Assist play this role, but it sounds to me based on Volvo's own description in their US brochure and in the article I linked to above, the Pilot Assist goes beyond that.

Here's a relevant excerpt from the article:

Pilot Assist works at speeds under 30mph where the car can easily spot lane marking. There needs to be a car in front of you that also goes under 30mph. To enable the feature, you press the cruise control button the steering column, then press the right arrow to see the Pilot Assist icon. After it engages, the sensation is a bit like being pulled by an invisible beacon. In one test, a classic convertible stayed fairly centered in the lane and the XC90 mirrored the speed and steering perfectly. With lane-keeping and adaptive cruise control only (the tech you might find in an Acura RLX, an Infiniti Q50 or an Audi RS7), the car tends to veer out of the lane eventually and warn you to grab the steering wheel again.

I took my hands off the steering wheel and my foot off the gas pedal for at least 20 minutes at a time. A spokesperson for Volvo told me he uses it for 90 minutes at a time in New York City. (In Minneapolis, you can get stuck for long periods, but 90 minutes is less common.) In another test, a larger vehicle kept swaying a bit back and forth in the lane. The XC90 mimicked those movements for a while, but eventually warned me to grab the wheel again. (The car actually uses A.I. to watch how you drive and will chime and warn you if you drive erratically.)

There's nothing quite like Pilot Assist. Many newer cars (from Mercedes-Benz and Audi in particular) use cameras and sensors to monitor lane markings and traffic, but the XC90 is unique. The long-range sensors spotted traffic at least 20 car-lengths away from me and adjusted my speed gradually.
Oddly though, the feature is listed in the Canadian version of the online owner's manual.

http://support.volvocars.com/en-CA/...b91&category=c2f6e1bbcd53f0d4c0a8015145a866c0

So basically I'm very confused. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, it is included, at least at the time I had been ordering. I made the order at the end of April 2015. European Delivery ( analog to US OSD). Factory delivery on 14th September. And now waiting for car to be redelivered at Volvo of Oakville, Ontario . My XC 90 is Inscription with Convenience, Vision, HUD, Air suspension, B&W. The car is made according to Canadian specifications, and I think there would be no any reason to have a quite essential feature like this one to be removed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts