SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2018 XC60 with pilot assist. I heard there was an upgrade, but cant seem to find out much about it. Can dealer do it? What is the cost? What is different from my PA2?

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Not yet. The Volvo accessory of PA generation 3 is for new V60/S60 only.
May wait to see if any May or Nov software update will be offered.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just read it will not work if intellisafe assist and sensus nav were factory installed

·
Registered
463 Posts
That might be because if Intelisafe Assist was added as an accessory there should have been new upgraded hardware installed which allows it ...

·
Registered
76 Posts
We have a 2019 XC60 Inscription with PA, and I am not sure it was fully baked in design, as it sometimes wants to pull me toward off-ramps that I don’t want to take. I have to wrestle the wheel back over. It also seems to weave ever so slightly on a straight road. I can manually steer a car more consistently straight. I think the adaptive cruise portion is a good idea, but the lane keeping assistance, not so much.

·
Registered
195 Posts
We have a 2019 XC60 Inscription with PA, and I am not sure it was fully baked in design, as it sometimes wants to pull me toward off-ramps that I don’t want to take. I have to wrestle the wheel back over. It also seems to weave ever so slightly on a straight road. I can manually steer a car more consistently straight. I think the adaptive cruise portion is a good idea, but the lane keeping assistance, not so much.
From what I have read without great lane markings and without someone directly ahead of you the PA can be confused. Hence the need for hand on wheel and eyes on road. I test drove an early version in a V90 last summer that drifted left and right within the lines in a noticeable way. Salesmen said it was the road, not the car. Maybe other owners can post their opinions based on their experience with the PA?

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
From what I have read without great lane markings and without someone directly ahead of you the PA can be confused. Hence the need for hand on wheel and eyes on road. I test drove an early version in a V90 last summer that drifted left and right within the lines in a noticeable way. Salesmen said it was the road, not the car. Maybe other owners can post their opinions based on their experience with the PA?
Try a different car or find someone with experience on that road is helpful to find out. Some software update also helps. I only notice drifting on curves because it always enters the curve a tad later than me and correct itself immediately.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It's the car. I can drive on a highway with gradual turns and clear lane markings then without warning the car will drift into another lane.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Try a different car or find someone with experience on that road is helpful to find out. Some software update also helps. I only notice drifting on curves because it always enters the curve a tad later than me and correct itself immediately.
If the lidar sensors and the GPS and the camera arrays can work with the software and engineers I am sure this limitation will be eliminated. I am looking at the V60 MY2020 for some of these updates along with updated hardware to go a long with it. Volvo enthusiasts seem to love state of the art technology. While only being interesting in Volvo cars for 1 year I feel very at home with those of you who share my interest in everything that is Volvo in today's world.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Trouble areas for pilot assist seem to be:
- The slow lane on any highway due to off-ramps and merging vehicles
- White concrete highways with white markings (even if the markings have black contrast paint behind them
- Two lane roads with one lane in each direction where there are breaks in the center lines periodically for passing (car will veer left). This is also when it bounces between lanes.
- Hilly desert highways where the car seems to lose sight of the lane at the tops of the hills.

That said, I use it all the time for the assistance it was meant to be. I really enjoy driving with it on except as noted above. I wish there were a chime or something when it disengaged or re-engaged. If there is one I’d like to enable it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
664 Posts
“PA3” is supposed to tie into the nav for better cornering (I’d assume to slow down for curves). LIDAR is not used on these (SPA/CMA) cars either. It’s just a single forward looking camera and radar. MY2020’s are supposed to have a interior camera to monitor the driver. That could be a sign that maybe Volvo will deploy a level 3 system for automated driving on highways or something. Or, as it reads, monitor the driver for alertness/drunk, notify the driver, or safely pull the car over and notify EMT’s/police. That’s fine and we’ll, but I’d like to see some more advances in self driving. We’re going into 2020, aren’t cars supposed to fly by now? I’d be happy with one that drives me around.

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
“PA3” is supposed to tie into the nav for better cornering (I’d assume to slow down for curves). LIDAR is not used on these (SPA/CMA) cars either. It’s just a single forward looking camera and radar. MY2020’s are supposed to have a interior camera to monitor the driver. That could be a sign that maybe Volvo will deploy a level 3 system for automated driving on highways or something. Or, as it reads, monitor the driver for alertness/drunk, notify the driver, or safely pull the car over and notify EMT’s/police. That’s fine and we’ll, but I’d like to see some more advances in self driving. We’re going into 2020, aren’t cars supposed to fly by now? I’d be happy with one that drives me around.
L4 cars with LiDAR is under testing for sure. They will be on sale maybe 2 or 3 years from now. It will be for freeway first, and need more years to get ready for busy city road. Car makers are more cautious now after Uber and Tesla accidents. No L3 from Volvo though.

Tesla is pushing their "full self driving", which is still not trustable of course and thus confusing and could cause more accidents.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Somewhere in deep in the manual, it says that in cases like that , PA requires the driver input by steering lightly in the direction of the lane you want to take.

Keeping the car centered in PA2 seems to be more consistent now. But it goes way close to left lines if there are vertical safety separators next to them (cones, safety rails).

L4 cars with LiDAR is under testing for sure. They will be on sale maybe 2 or 3 years from now. It will be for freeway first, and need more years to get ready for busy city road. Car makers are more cautious now after Uber and Tesla accidents. No L3 from Volvo though.

Tesla is pushing their "full self driving", which is still not trustable of course and thus confusing and could cause more accidents.

Uber and Tesla have a much higher interest in bringing autonomous cars to market.

Despite the name Tesla is still nothing else than a good L2. Their push of FSD for now is just the hardware. Until then, driver must be paying attention at all times, like PA.

But since AP can do by itself much more than PA, it is normal for drivers to trust the system a bit too much.

Car markers will push more once they notice that car sharing becomes a big business.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts

LiDAR has been used for over a year

Audi A8 with "Level 3" self-driving use LiDAR

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/photos/detail/laser-scanner-52974

https://www.audiusa.com/technology/intelligence/adaptive-cruise-assist :)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Mine chimes at me when it’s disengaging- if you grab the wheel again it stops chiming.
Yes, but it doesn’t chimes when PA is lost due to road demarcation problems ( lines are no longer visible)

This is a safety concern.

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Yes, but it doesn’t chimes when PA is lost due to road demarcation problems ( lines are no longer visible)

This is a safety concern.
When driver is not monitoring the road, the driver is the safety concern. Driver should see the lines are gone on road ahead and take over steering. PA is not supposed to replace the driver. I know, people always want L4 and wish PA is L4 but it is not.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I totally agree with you but still considering that Volvo should have this take in care of as a safety warning for the driver.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I totally agree with you but still considering that Volvo should have this take in care of as a safety warning for the driver.
The latest May update now vibrates the steering wheel lightly when PA disengages from inability to see/track.

I strongly suspect the reason why there is no audio warning is specifically to discourage folks from not always keeping their eyes on the road.

If you're always looking/holding the wheel, it will be obvious when PA disengages. Especially with the new update combined with the symbol in the HUD.

I mentioned this in a previous and highly detailed post, but the OP in the thread was asking about how to defeat the "hands on the steering wheel" safety feature... And well... That thread went downhill fast and was deleted as people seemed to have serious issues with it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts