SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I put a deposit on an 09 xc90 V8 with 101k miles from a random used car dealer (non volvo). I noticed a lot of oil in the back underside of the engine and the dealer agreed to do the Valve cover gaskets free of charge (they said they were planning on doing it anyway, but I cam down before they had a chance to do the work). They sent me pics of the repair in process - it looks like there is more sludge build up on the right side of the engine - farthest away from the timing chain.

See attached pics - is that normal for 100k, anything to be concerned of ?

Thanks

Once they had things apart I also asked them to look for power steering leaks as well.

Engine Auto part Vehicle Automotive engine part Car

Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle

·
Registered
392 Posts
The gold coloring is called varnish, generally considered a non issue. I would suggest a good cleaning oil like Pennzoil Ultra or Mobil 1, both in a 0W-40. I do a short oil change ~ 3000 miles on any used car new to me. Look at the oil filter for signs of carbon or sludge and then consider oil change duration in the future.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks but I think its all buttoned up by now - not gonna get any more pics. From the pics I got the mid section looked clean, but cant see the bearing valley.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
It's an '09 so would be more out of curiosity.

As a fellow V8 owner, couple things up front. Never ever wash the upper part of this engine and let it sit. Ever. And as a V8 owner who has replaced a failed angle gear, do your best not to stomp on it from a dead stop when it's wet with the wheels turned.

Since this vehicle is new to you, check the 3-way washer thing (If I call it a valve, John C will correct me) under the passenger side of the hood at your earliest convenience. Give the back cap a grab, if it even turns do a replacement. Your alternator will thank you for it.

Good luck !

·
Registered
228 Posts
For 100k that engine looks quite clean, this is a picture of a 90k engine I bought to replace the failed engine in my XC90.

But a few short changes of good synthetic should clean up any remaining.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So its been a week and the dealer still have not finished the valve cover job, they said they got the wrong gaskets. Honestly I am a little worried about the whole deal.

It pretty difficult to find a reliable v8 at a fair price (more like impossible and expect to have to do work when you fist buy it.....). I really like my 04 XC90 T5 but its time to let it go and I am wondering if I should just fold and get the 3.2l instead of a V8 or will a be looking at work on any 10yr old car.

·
Registered
834 Posts
IMO, you're looking at work on any 10 year old car... that being said the V8 might be more expensive work, but it pays for itself in enjoyment and fuel economy, as well as reliability in most cases.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
If you get the VCG done properly and have a new serp belt with all the parts put in at some point in the next 20k or so, you'll statistically be good on the motor. Leaking valve cover is more or less a recognized issue these days, not like something unexpected (except perhaps by Volvo). PS pump will probably start to leak in a few years. Keep this in the back of your head so that when you start to see some seeping, it's also not completely unexpected.

Mileage is decent for MY09, if the vehicle is clean and drives properly you'll get have had one of the big 'known" services already performed before you assume ownership. Should ask about new plugs while they're in the neighborhood and make them give you a warranty on the work they did, however long you can get it for. If they messed anything up in doing this job, you'll notice it within the first week so keep them around.

Truth of the matter is you'll probably be making another investment in the front end sooner then later if it's not already been done but you probably already know that. V8 will be a little bit harder on the front suspension than the 5 cylinder, variations in driving style as much as the extra weight up front. I am particularly opinionated about OE suspension parts being used for this variant, although there are some forum members who appear to have used aftermarket with decent success.

The V8 is not so much worse than any other XC90 engine to work on, does require the subframe to drop for angle gear and there's not a bunch of room in the bay but it's not that bad, at least for the work I've done (or had done).

If this is a nice vehicle be patient, get it back dry, and don't worry about this job needing done for another 8-10 years.

Good luck

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They did plugs and coils already to clear missfire codes. I asked them to look at the power steering and pcv once everything was open. I am not paying for any of this, and it's a pretty good deal on the car. I have them at $6699. I just have know way of knowing how good their work on the VCb will be......they said they will stand behind their work for whatever thays worth. Hopefully it all goes well

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
On an S80, you can at least bend over and get to the top with your feet on the floor, I had to use a small step stool to get to everything on my XC90. I've seen that video before, is the hood removed to get that much space? If I were an S80 V8 owner, I might almost look forward to doing one of these early if it's as easy as that guy makes it.

Old post for anyone who has not already seen before- https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?286873-V8-Valve-Cover-Gasket-Replacement/ , if you own one of these engines long enough and you want to keep it in decent shape and not risk an issue with your alternator (even more $$), you'll be doing this work or paying to have it done. There's a reason FCP sells a full kit for this job (smart them).

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
It does kind of look like the hoods off, but it`s on. There is nothing to be gained by removing it. How many hours you estimate it took you ?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I did mine over the course of a weekend but it took a few days more to get replacement injectors after breaking a bunch of the plastic parts getting them off (still have my original injectors rebuilt in a box sitting in the garage, probably need to get rid of them some day).

If I had all the parts (and a cheap injector rebuild kit) in hand, would be one full-day job in my mind. I did aux belt at the same time (with idlers and tensioner), plus FPS and PCV so it's all done once.

For anyone who's local I might be able to assist with this job if it's needed and I have the time, just PM me in advance.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I did mine over the course of a weekend but it took a few days more to get replacement injectors after breaking a bunch of the plastic parts getting them off (still have my original injectors rebuilt in a box sitting in the garage, probably need to get rid of them some day).

If I had all the parts (and a cheap injector rebuild kit) in hand, would be one full-day job in my mind. I did aux belt at the same time (with idlers and tensioner), plus FPS and PCV so it's all done once.

For anyone who's local I might be able to assist with this job if it's needed and I have the time, just PM me in advance.
what rebuild kit did you use? That is a good plan for when I do mine.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...-Replacement&p=3761329&viewfull=1#post3761329 , subpost #40 has what to search for. I see them still available for the same price I paid.

I built a kit from scratch when I did mine, it's in the VCG post and I got good feedback from the first guy who did his. I used every part on that list in the thread plus a bunch of other stuff. I like the FCP kit because it's a thought out mix of OE and aftermarket and is inclusive.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts