SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I poked my head in here last year about this time, as I was really torn between several SUV's to replace my POS Explorer. I kept going back and forth between the XC90, the Acura MDX, the Lexus GX, and the Caddy SRX. If I didn't need 3 rows of seats for the kids I probably would have probably been in an Infinity FX45 by now, but the wife ruled that out. I have my own toy (2004 Mazda RX8) so I couldn't argue with her : )

Anyhoo, no matter what I looked at I kept coming back to the Volvo- it wasn't the fastest or the flashiest or the most high-tech, but as a total package it really looked great on paper. I finally drove one this week, and fell in love with a White Pearl, light taupe leather interior with chrome rims... it looked like million bucks. I was probably the only sucker that wanted the Xenons, touring, climate, Nav, RSE DVD, V8, etc. packages, so the dealer threw some great incentives at me that I couldn't refuse.

So I took delivery tonight, and I am a proud owner of my first Volvo. In reality, this is a surprise for my wife, so I guess she's going to be the proud owner when I pick her up at the airport Thursday. I'm looking forward to bouncing stuff off everyone as little things come up, and they always do. I love my RX-8, but owning the first model of anything can really be challenging, and I spend a lot of time on that forum discussing gearhead stuff.

-Sean (and I also have the March Madness... Go Gators!!!)

2006 XC 90 V8 White Pearl
2004 Mazda RX-8
2002 Ford Exploder <-- farewell, you worthless @#[email protected]

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Re: Picked up new '06 XC90 V8 tonight... thanks for all the info (chitowngator)

Well, let me be the first to welcome you to the club. Congratulations! http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif

·
Registered
2005 XC90 V8, IPD sways and endlinks, currently shod with Pirelli Scorpion Verde
550 Posts

and I'll be the second... throw in a Volvo hands-free bluetooth and you'll have an ecstatic wife !

Congratulations. Welcome to the Volvo family.

·
Registered
282 Posts

I did the "surprise-a-wife" plan with our XC-90. She loves it...Good luck and welcome aboard! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Picked up new '06 XC90 V8 tonight... thanks for all the info (Mr. Kotter)

Thanks all for the welcome. I did get the Bluetooth as well (promotional deal until Mar 31's apparently)... I was just out in the garage playing with it. Nice to see a Motorola product working so seamlessly with the Volvo. My wife had that on her list of 'must haves' for vehicles we were looking at (even though it's an aftermarket add-on, it's nice that Volvo installed it and is warranting it).

I appreciate the http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif 's... I've been downing a couple and trying to digest this major purchase. The last time I suprised my wife like this it was buying a convertible two seater for me when she was 9 months pregnant. Something tells me the Volvo is gonna go a whole lot better
http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,743 Posts

Quote, originally posted by chitowngator »
The last time I suprised my wife like this it was buying a convertible two seater for me when she was 9 months pregnant.

You're a daring man...

Yeah , I think this surprise will go over a whole lot better. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Tim

·
Registered
1,743 Posts

I poked my head in here last year about this time, as I was really torn between several SUV's to replace my POS Explorer. ]

I feel your pain...I traded in an 03 Exploder for our XC90. What a piece of s!!t that thing was.

Welcome aboard
http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif

Tim

·
Registered
606 Posts

Anyhoo, no matter what I looked at I kept coming back to the Volvo- it wasn't the fastest or the flashiest or the most high-tech, but as a total package it really looked great on paper. I finally drove one this week, and fell in love with a White Pearl, light taupe leather interior with chrome rims... it looked like million bucks. I was probably the only sucker that wanted the Xenons, touring, climate, Nav, RSE DVD, V8, etc. packages, so the dealer threw some great incentives at me that I couldn't refuse.
Welcome! It sounds loaded and the Pearl does look sharp. Many of us want all those extras but can't quite justify them. Lucky wife to have you!

Go Bruins!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

Congrats on the new beauty! And welcome to the Volvo club!

Yannis

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Picked up new '06 XC90 V8 tonight... thanks for all the info (XC-Ski)

Quote, originally posted by XC-Ski »

Welcome! It sounds loaded and the Pearl does look sharp. Many of us want all those extras but can't quite justify them. Lucky wife to have you!

Go Bruins!
Ha ha... I certainly can't justify the toys either- I just decided to use the house concept of buying slightly more than you think you'll need, and you won't be disappointed in a few years. That, and I'm a techno-geek : )

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Picked up new '06 XC90 V8 tonight... thanks for all the info (eVOLVOer)

Quote, originally posted by eVOLVOer »
Cool! Glad to see two Ford fam products in the garage. Welcome!

The funniest part is after owning two Explorers (and umpteen previous Fords), I swore I'd never buy another Ford again. Two years later, I have some of Japan and Sweden's finest engineering in my garage, both courtesy of Ford's pocketbook

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Picked up new '06 XC90 V8 tonight... thanks for all the info (t6tim)

Quote, originally posted by t6tim »

I feel your pain...I traded in an 03 Exploder for our XC90. What a piece of s!!t that thing was.

Welcome aboard
http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif

Tim

No kidding... my neighbor has a similar '02 as my Explorer, and we spent last weekend comparing the exact same laundry list of problems (and major ones, too... like failing differential, burning electrical smell from the dash, frequent flooding, etc). That was when I was convinced I had to dump it and quickly. What is most shocking is I've never seen a vehicle devalue so fast in my life... my '02 was loaded, had a sticker of $34k, bought for $28 after incentives, and 3 years later the best I could get for it was $11k... and that was shopping it around and being in mint physical condition.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts

...I have some of Japan and Sweden's finest engineering in my garage, both courtesy of Ford's pocketbook
There are some technical reasons why the XC90 is superior (in my opinion) to what is available from everyone else; but I think you made a really good decision - welcome aboard.

·
Registered
982 Posts

Welcome aboard. You'll love it! Happy Motoring

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Great looking XC90! I would add the running boards as they seem to go really well with the chrome wheels in my opinion. I have the chrome wheels with the black sapphire and it seems to go well together.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
Re: (C130)

Quote, originally posted by C130 »
Great looking XC90! I would add the running boards as they seem to go really well with the chrome wheels in my opinion. I have the chrome wheels with the black sapphire and it seems to go well together.

I have and like the running boards, easy to install

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (C130)

I've thought about getting the running boards... they look awesome in the brochure. Do you have pics of them on your XC? My only hesitation is because of the way they collected snow and slush in the winter on my Explorer (which subsequently fell off later in my garage making a big salty dirty mess). Do the volvo running boards suffer from this annoyance?

Thanks...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts