SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I have been noticing some strange patterns or scratches on my piano black around the sensus screen.

Looks between hairlines or moisture.

I ve been using damp ficrofiber for the Piano Black, or the screen cloth provided by Volvo.

I ve applied 2 times Meguiars Ultimate Interior Detailer which is for everything.
Dont think this caused it, otherwise i would have seen it in other Piano Black Areas.

Any ideas what us it and if it can be cured?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I have the same problem especially around cupholder section. Will eagerly await others' good suggestions

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
if it's just in high traffic areas, probably finger nails brushing against it. Do you or a spouse have long nails?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No long nails, BUT the strange thing is, it does not look like hairlines, looks like something was applied that it shouldnt have?
Of moisture fron the inside? Just noticed it today.

·
Registered
405 Posts
No long nails, BUT the strange thing is, it does not look like hairlines, looks like something was applied that it shouldnt have?
Of moisture fron the inside? Just noticed it today.
The manual says not to use any abrasive chemicals, or anything containing alcohol, among others.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
528 Posts
That notice is for the screen area I believe not the black trim... but this is why I have a screen protector on mine! No issues with my black trim either.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Guys,

I have been noticing some strange patterns or scratches on my piano black around the sensus screen.

Looks between hairlines or moisture.

I ve been using damp ficrofiber for the Piano Black, or the screen cloth provided by Volvo.

I ve applied 2 times Meguiars Ultimate Interior Detailer which is for everything.
Dont think this caused it, otherwise i would have seen it in other Piano Black Areas.

Any ideas what us it and if it can be cured?
Both my 2017 XC90 and my GF's 2021 came with the same type of hazing - brand new cars. I think our dealer is using something too aggressive for cleaning - and, in general, it is very easy to scratch.
In both cases, I requested, and obtained, a replacement by my dealer. For my car, they popped in a new plastic frame. For my GF, it was both the frame and the plastic trim around the shifter.
Prior to asking for a replacement, I tried various products, but I only made it worse...
Most loaners at my dealership have the same type of hazing.

·
Registered
2020 V60 Cross Country
656 Posts
I wonder if it is COVID sanitizing at the dealer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might be right, but in my case it was not before 2 days ago that the problem initiated.
Prior to that everything was crisp.

Makes me wonder if it is indeed a haze caused by humidity passing in from the edge of the plastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
405 Posts
That notice is for the screen area I believe not the black trim... but this is why I have a screen protector on mine! No issues with my black trim either.
Yep, I have the screen protector for the Sensus and the rear climate control! Our 2017 has some superficial swirl marks on the black, but no fading/hazing/cracking. The 2021 had no issue. Of all the loaners I've seen, I haven't seen this on any of them. The covid sanitizing theory is a really good point.

·
Registered
2020 V60 Cross Country
656 Posts
Yep, I have the screen protector for the Sensus and the rear climate control! Our 2017 has some superficial swirl marks on the black, but no fading/hazing/cracking. The 2021 had no issue. Of all the loaners I've seen, I haven't seen this on any of them. The covid sanitizing theory is a really good point.

Funny you mentioned swirling. The one place that swirls are making me crazy is on the piano black between the windows on the outside.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Funny you mentioned swirling. The one place that swirls are making me crazy is on the piano black between the windows on the outside.

Thats a really good point! The 2017 definitely has swirl marks on those plastic trim pieces. I'm doing my best to avoid them as long as possible on the 2021 haha. Although the color is Onyx black...so it looks beautiful when clean and waxed, but it shows *everything*

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I believe this is not piano black. Its should be metal on the door frames (thick side)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WELL MINE WAS NOT SCRATHES
More like hazing. Managed to take them off with Autoglym Fast Glass for glasses.
Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
405 Posts
WELL MINE WAS NOT SCRATHES
More like hazing. Managed to take them off with Autoglym Fast Glass for glasses.
Worked like a charm.
That makes me think the dealer used some sort of disinfectant cleaner and its dried residue. Good thing you were able to remove it!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think it's referencing these black panels (circled). These seem to be plastic.

If this is indeed plastic it will wear very easily.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That makes me think the dealer used some sort of disinfectant cleaner and its dried residue. Good thing you were able to remove it!

Not in my case, i havent visited the dealer lately and when i did , i requested specifically that no disinfectants should be used whatsoever.

·
Registered
2020 V60 Cross Country
656 Posts
If this is indeed plastic it will wear very easily.
So easily that it has swirls at 5000 miles and has never seen an automatic carwash.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Not in my case, i havent visited the dealer lately and when i did , i requested specifically that no disinfectants should be used whatsoever.
Ahhhh okay sorry. I missed that and I didn't know when you took delivery of the car. That is very strange then. I live in a dry climate, so I can't speak on anything about humidity possibly having something to do with it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts