SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I received an email from Volvo quality satisfaction dept. asking owners to fill out a survey. One of the question was what improvement would you like to have. One of the first thing popped in my head was to add programmable buttons feature for frequently used functions.
For example, the mute/unmute button on the steering is redundant to me (maybe the up/down volume control as well), I can easily control it from the volume knob/button on the center console. If Volvo can allow user to define functions on those buttons such as turn on/off AC, adjust temperature, or turn on camera, park In etc. life would be a lot easier.
Does any feel the same way or am I just too paranoid to take my eyes off the road to locate the function and touch the screen on the precise spot?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
The up/down arrows on the right side of the steering wheel do control the volume and I can tap it pretty quickly to lower the volume significantly (like mute). I think the temperature controls on the bottom of the screen are accessible but I do fumble a bit navigating to the park feature, I may not need a physical button for it but I'd like it to be easier to get to. Besides that I find the system very well thought out.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The lack of physical buttons for climate functions is a serious shortcoming.
The screen controls require too much time with your eyes off the road. After 5 months of ownership I am still finding the need to glance away and I feel this is dangerous.
Voice control does not substitute for many climate functions mostly due to the awkwardness of the VC for any function.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I wish there was an easily accessible physical button to turn on and off the 360 degree camera.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's amazing to me that with all the concern about safety, car manufactures are taking away buttons to control certain items. How safe is it, to be looking at a screen to adjust something. Once you learn the location of a button, you never have to take your eyes off the road.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
It's amazing to me that with all the concern about safety, car manufactures are taking away buttons to control certain items. How safe is it, to be looking at a screen to adjust something. Once you learn the location of a button, you never have to take your eyes off the road.
I rarely touch my climate controls - it's automatic for a reason. I've found a temperature that's comfortable and I let the system manage it. I maybe touch the climate control system 1-2 times every 14 days or so.
I could see 1-2 buttons added without changing the aesthetics - but I certainly would rather see LESS than MORE. Many GM products or even German cars have so many unnecessary buttons.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't mean adding additional physical buttons. I would just like to have the ability to program the mute button or volume buttons to AC on/off or cameras on or what have you. This should be achievable by just updating the software to allow users to define what the button does. If someone likes the mute button the way it is then no need program anything if not program the button to your own taste.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts