SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nevermind. It was an improperly installed Oxygen Sensor. Stupid mechanics.<p><BR><BR>
<i>Modified by PdangerP at 9:04 PM 9-29-2009</i>

·
Registered
764 Posts
Re: Phuz DP CEL. Advice? (PdangerP)

you can get an 02 spacer i believe. im a little surprised, i thought that phuz's dps were good to go emissions wise...

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
Re: Phuz DP CEL. Advice? (2004volvos60R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>2004volvos60R</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can get an 02 spacer i believe. im a little surprised, i thought that phuz's dps were good to go emissions wise...</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Me too!<p>That is the first CEL from one of my DPs. That CAT is even CARB certified, which I bought so that I could offer them to all 50 states.<p>Patrick, what was the CEL code exactly?<br>

·
Registered
926 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, that CEL can be caused by a leak somewhere in the system as well. So, while the cat may be performing well, the leak could still fool the computer and make it seem like the cat isn't being efficient. May want to make sure the connections are tight?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Phuz DP CEL. Advice? (phuz)

The specific CEL is:<p>ECM-400C - Three-way catalytic converter (TWC) efficiency, bank 1 - signal too high. <p>The mechanic said that it could be 3 or 4 problems, such as vacuum leaks or fuel pressure something or other, or another problem, but he said the car ran perfectly, so the code was probably diagnostic and due to the aftermarket CAT. <p>The DP that I got from Phuz was the base one. It was not coated and does not have the extra 02 bung. Any advice or links to the spacer would be greatly appreciated.<p>Also, I do not hear anything like an exhaust link. I'll check that later today just to be sure.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Phuz DP CEL. Advice? (michaelc)

Which connections do you think may be suspect? The one to the turbo flange? The one to the Cat-back? I installed gaskets in both when I had the DP changed out.

·
Registered
926 Posts

Sorry, don't have any specific suggestions, but would think that if a leak was causing it, it would have to be relatively close to the sensors. So either end of the DP.<p>I have the TME DP and had the CEL (code 420) come one twice after install. Came on the first time about a week after install (just cruising down the road)...cleared it...and it came on a second time a week or so later. Cleared it a second time and haven't seen it again in a few months. CEL boss will be my last resort, if necessary (can't for the life of me find a link to it on the IPD site, but PM Lucky and he'll tell you if they have it).<br>

·
Registered
927 Posts
Re: Phuz DP CEL. Advice? (michaelc)

If you search vwvortex for O2 spacer you'll find an angled one like I have. No issues since I installed mine 1.5 years ago, and it tucks in nicely to pass any visual inspection.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>PdangerP</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The specific CEL is:<p>ECM-400C - Three-way catalytic converter (TWC) efficiency, bank 1 - signal too high. <br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>Its possible with that code its something other than the Converter. <br>I usually see code P0420 as the death code.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts

Yeah, I've got nearly 10k miles on mine, so I doubt its the cat. possible, but likely a leak. see if it happens again.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>PdangerP</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The specific CEL is:<p>ECM-400C - Three-way catalytic converter (TWC) efficiency, bank 1 - signal too high. <p></TD></TR></TABLE><p>Double check that code. ECM-400C is for the Evaporative Emissions and not the convertor.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Phuz DP CEL. Advice? (Oceans60R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Oceans60R</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>Double check that code. ECM-400C is for the Evaporative Emissions and not the convertor.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>The quoted code is from the print out the mechanic gave me.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Re: Phuz DP CEL. Advice? (Oceans60R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Oceans60R</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>Double check that code. ECM-400C is for the Evaporative Emissions and not the convertor.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Isn't that the gas cap code for this model year?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yeah if you have a 400C that in large evap leak i belive which is usual a gas cap 99 times out of 100. it could be another leak in evap or ldp( not sure if they fixed the design since i left the dealer) also teher use dto be software for certain models i belive

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (97GLTbrick)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>97GLTbrick</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah if you have a 400C that in large evap leak i belive which is usual a gas cap 99 times out of 100. it could be another leak in evap or ldp( not sure if they fixed the design since i left the dealer) also teher use dto be software for certain models i belive</TD></TR></TABLE><p>The gas cap was tight. I checked it immediately after seeing the light. I also checked the oil which I just changed, perfect. I guess I'll wait for the code to appear again and have my mechanic thoroughly diagnose it because nobody seems to think it could possibly be the Phuz DP.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Re: (PdangerP)

Check this other thread on the same code ECM-400C<br><A HREF="http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=120956" TARGET="_blank">http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=120956</A><br>May just be Software Related

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
Patrick,<p>I have done quite a bit of searching on google and even talked to a good buddy who is a certified ASE mechanic. That code is definitely for the Evap system. I am not sure how your mechanic's printout shows otherwise. I am also not inclined to relate it to the downpipe simply because nobody else has seen a related CEL.<p>Let me know what you find.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Re: Phuz DP CEL. Advice? (phuz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>phuz</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>Me too!<p>That is the first CEL from one of my DPs. That CAT is even CARB certified, which I bought so that I could offer them to all 50 states.<p>Patrick, what was the CEL code exactly?<br></TD></TR></TABLE><br>you know some time just ever once in a wile you buy a carton of eggs and ones broken what if the cat is just one thoes broken eggs LOL!!<br>Cauld have a bad O2 sensor <p>Go it adavance auto and get a sparkplug nonfaler and drill a 1/2" hole in one, or call IPD and ask for the cat spacer

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (phuz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>phuz</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Patrick,<p>I have done quite a bit of searching on google and even talked to a good buddy who is a certified ASE mechanic. That code is definitely for the Evap system. I am not sure how your mechanic's printout shows otherwise. I am also not inclined to relate it to the downpipe simply because nobody else has seen a related CEL.<p>Let me know what you find.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I don't understand either. I'm looking at this printout of a table of codes and it clearly states that the ECM-400C is Three-way catalytic converter (TWC) efficiency, bank 1 - signal too high.<p>I'll try to scan in the printout that my ASE certified mechanic gave me and post it up. However, when it comes to chasing the problem culprit, I'll be waiting to see if the code pops up again. If I don't see it, then I'll be waiting until I have to smog the car to see if it will pass CA smog.<p>I can only go by what my mechanic told me. Also, I read the other thread about the evap system, and I was driving over smooth road at the time. I know about the TNN referenced there, and I'll have my Volvo dealership look at the code next time it pops up to see if it's the same module.

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
I finally found something other than "Evap System"<p><i>List of errors for: ECU ECM with code 400C<br>ECM-400C Fuel tank system, leakage<br>ECM-400C Three-way catalytic converter (TWC) efficiency, bank 1. Signal too high</i><p>However, I am not sure what "signal too high" really implies.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts