SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
10/22/22- Paperwork signed just waiting on delivery! Purchased sight unseen only example for sale in the country.

2016 S60 T6 R-Design Platinum in Osmium Grey Metallic

Polestar tuned from factory

59,xxx miles

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

The goal is a clean OEM+ build.

Mods:

IPD dry flow filter
IPD rear sway bar
Polestar shifter/ shift boot

Plans:

Full stage 0
Paint correction and ceramic coat
IPD transmission and engine mount
Spare tire
do88 intercooler
Polestar Wheels
IPD rear sway bar
Downpipe
Tune

Any other "OEM+" mods that need to happen? Any particular maintenance items to address early? Looking forward to seeing her in person.

· Registered
17,285 Posts
Looks nice - congrats.

I'd probably skip the IPD mounts but why would you need a Grom unit?

· Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks nice - congrats.

I'd probably skip the IPD mounts but why would you need a Grom unit?

Doesn’t it allow for wireless Apple play? May be confused with something else

The Ford Focus torque mount made a big difference in my s40 and the ipd mounts are the only ones I’ve seen for the p3 so far

· Registered
45 Posts
Doesn’t it allow for wireless Apple play? May be confused with something else

The Ford Focus torque mount made a big difference in my s40 and the ipd mounts are the only ones I’ve seen for the p3 so far
I went with the IPD mounts. If you are looking for a smooth, quiet ride, skip them. However if you don’t mind more vibration, engine noise, etc, go for it!

sway bar is an essential.

· Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Spent the afternoon tinkering with settings, “Italian tuning” and driving around town. Overall car is quick and comfortable. This is a major upgrade from my S40 in every way. The suspension is firm but the ride is much more comfortable than my s40 with koni sports.

I noticed the car does heat soak after just a few pulls and intercooler will be one of the next upgrades. (I’ll likely go with the ICM-290 from do88 designed for the models with front radar) IPD sway bar and dry flow filter are also on order. It came with Michelin Primacy mxm4s which leave a lot to be desired but have a lot of tread left. Thankfully, the previous owner installed rubber floor mats already.

With just 59,xxx miles the car is in good shape but has definitely seen some use. The shift boot is lifted up and looks like it will need replacement. The car is filthy, covered in swirls and there are deep scratches on the front lip. Maintenance was done at appropriate intervals per carfax but I’ll likely replace the fluids, drain/fill the transmission and bleed the brakes for a fresh start. Unfortunately it still has the 3g modem but I don’t know what all the hotspot allows me to do other than remote start. Dice unit ordered and hopefully I can get it to work on my 2016 model year

Coming soon:

Sway bar install
Full detail and ceramic coating

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

· Registered
159 Posts
Congrats on your new car, I noticed you're looking for a wireless carplay solution, there's a few of them out there... the recent posts have been for the Grom unit but several of us had good luck with a unit from Integrated Automotive in the UK, there's also several of them on AliExpress if you're feeling a little more adventurous. The newer Grom unit looks like it does all the same things but has the option for a touchscreen, to be honest I prefer not to use that anyway (my OCD gets triggered by fingerprints!) but that could be important for some. Not sure on prices but I've been happy with mine.

· Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats on your new car, I noticed you're looking for a wireless carplay solution, there's a few of them out there... the recent posts have been for the Grom unit but several of us had good luck with a unit from Integrated Automotive in the UK, there's also several of them on AliExpress if you're feeling a little more adventurous. The newer Grom unit looks like it does all the same things but has the option for a touchscreen, to be honest I prefer not to use that anyway (my OCD gets triggered by fingerprints!) but that could be important for some. Not sure on prices but I've been happy with mine.
Thanks man that’s definitely on the list. I’m surprised how tame the HK audio is on this car. The clarity is excellent it just doesn’t get that loud. Granted I’ve only connected by Bluetooth so far.

· Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First wash today. The car was and still is filthy. Needs a clay and polish in a bad way. A simple two bucket wash topped with a thin layer of bead maker was all I had time for today.

There seems to be some indentation on the paint where roof racks would be but only on the driver’s side. Not sure this is worth going after with wet sanding.

The car will have to live outside unfortunately. Our undersized 2 car is just enough room for my wife’s 2021 4runner and all the junk that comes with kids. I’m a bit hesitant to ceramic coat this car with it being outside. We get summer storms down here and the sun is out and 100 degrees moments after. It’s a recipe for water spots.

The shifter boot is already driving me crazy.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Tire Synthetic rubber Asphalt
Gear shift Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle Personal luxury car
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

· Registered
237 Posts
Congrats on the new car!
You will love the ipd mount.... one tip for slightly less vibration is to have the car running with the new torque mount not fully tightened, put the car into reverse (hold brake) and have a friend tighten it down.

FYI the do88 ICM-220 flows 8% vs the ICM-290's 3% over stock. The larger IC also drops temps (22 deg vs 15 deg respectively). I have Adaptive cruise and no modifications were needed (no bolts needed to be shaved) to fit the 220.... love it.

Prior to paint correction I would use dr color chip for any road rash and even the scratches (it does wonders on small chips but is less effective on larger areas)... you want it to cure for a week or so then can seal it in after correction. With the car being outside a ceramic coat would actually be a good thing (just need that 24 hour cure time inside after application), especially against bird poop etc. Highly recommend meguiars ultimate waterless wash & wax spray for touchups.

Reactions: phish

· Registered
3,798 Posts
The leather boot is just glued to the frame that snaps into the shifter assembly. You can quickly tackle that by taking apart the waterfall dash. An easy 15 min job to get to the boot cradle.

· Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The leather boot is just glued to the frame that snaps into the shifter assembly. You can quickly tackle that by taking apart the waterfall dash. An easy 15 min job to get to the boot cradle.

I was trying to figure out how this was secured! I’ll wait for my new cup holder gasket to come in and hold off on the polestar boot and shifter for now. Do you have a part number for the fiber optic cup ring light? Mine is dim and I think it needs replaced.

Congrats on the new car!
You will love the ipd mount.... one tip for slightly less vibration is to have the car running with the new torque mount not fully tightened, put the car into reverse (hold brake) and have a friend tighten it down.

FYI the do88 ICM-220 flows 8% vs the ICM-290's 3% over stock. The larger IC also drops temps (22 deg vs 15 deg respectively). I have Adaptive cruise and no modifications were needed (no bolts needed to be shaved) to fit the 220.... love it.

Prior to paint correction I would use dr color chip for any road rash and even the scratches (it does wonders on small chips but is less effective on larger areas)... you want it to cure for a week or so then can seal it in after correction. With the car being outside a ceramic coat would actually be a good thing (just need that 24 hour cure time inside after application), especially against bird poop etc. Highly recommend meguiars ultimate waterless wash & wax spray for touchups.
Interesting. So the larger intercooler will not have any deleterious effects on the radiator, ac etc? Does it create any lag given the larger volume? This seems like a no brainer if it’ll fit.

I’ve had so so results with colorchip. I’ll have to see what I’m left with after a clay bar on the front bumper. Colorchip is still probably the best solution aside from a full re-spray. My go to waterless wash is still optimum no rinse but I’ll have to check out the meguiars.

· Registered
237 Posts
There's debate about it "obstructing" the radiator but a significant amount of air is still passing through the IC and hitting the radiator, especially at highway speed. The flow volumes and temp drops alone, imo, are enough reason to choose the larger version.
I have not noticed any lag and the car is more responsive than before the mod for sure.

Agree about dr color chip - it'll never be as good as a respray but for the small chips it has really worked for me (although I have bursting blue so not sure if you get different results with the gray).

I also use ONR (which is definitely cheaper than meguiars), but have found Meguiars more effective for bird poop, caustic water, and sap. IMO it gives a bit more lubrications than the ONR.

· Registered
3,798 Posts

· Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Replaced the cabin air filter today and opened up several more can-o-worms. Because I choose to go with the impossible to bend or squeeze caremetix filter, the glovebox and ECU had to be removed. I followed the FCP euro guide on youtube. Process was fairly simple and the old filter was in decent shape but certainly a cheaper filter than the caremetix.

Plant Product Rectangle Textile Wood

During the process of removing the glovebox and inspecting the innards of the car, I noticed several things. First and most concerning- there seems to be a leak of some sort in the passenger's side. The carpet was damp and had a blue color to it. I'm fearing the worst: heater core leak.

Automotive tire Wood Road surface Grey Asphalt

Natural material Petal Cuisine Creative arts Bridal accessory

The vehicle has also had a rodent issue at one time. The soft trim between the driver's door and front left fender shows evidence of rodent egress. Under the engine cover there was a small nest and minor damage to a wire which I just vacuumed and re-wraped with high temp electrical tape.

Stairs Wood Tints and shades Metal Ceiling

Automotive tire Beige Auto part Font Digital camera

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Auto part

And finally an odd cut out in the carpet as seen from the passenger rear door near the center console. Concerning that perhaps the entire carpet was removed at some point for an unknown reason?

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle door Fixture Bumper

· Registered
17,285 Posts
Looks like a brand-new cabin air filter somebody put in there.

Yeah, that space under the engine cover is a perfect mouse nesting spot. Somebody on here had $3k+ worth of wiring damage on their car.

I'm guessing that the carpet's been out once, probably for whatever is leaking there - it's really the best way to dry everything out as that carpet padding is like a giant sponge.

· Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
59,600 miles-

IPD high flow panel filter installed. Had good luck with this product in my P1. Dry filter so no oiling but washable and reusable. I don’t notice any power gains but the turbo sounds are more noticeable.

IPD swaybar and moog serviceable end links also installed. Not as drastic of an improvement as some have described but I’m starting with an r-design so maybe that’s why. The bar itself is MUCH thicker and heavier but I never had a ton of body roll to start with. I’ve yet to really push the car. The moog links seem to be high quality and have zerk fittings for grease. The old links were completely shot.

Automotive tire Office supplies Gas Gun accessory Wood

Bicycle part Gas Auto part Metal Composite material

· Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Replaced oil trap and spark plugs as preventative maintenance yesterday. Those bolts in the back of the oil trap are a giant pain. I’ll probably just do a diaphragm swap next time. The car did have excessive vacuum but no whistling sound yet. Spark plugs were ready for replacement for sure. Cylinder 3 had oil on the coil boot and on the spark plug and was very loose. I’ll have to monitor this.

Put more miles on the ipd swaybar and there is definitely less body roll but overall handling is not drastically changed compared to the stock r-design. The biggest limitation of the suspension right now are the tires. Michelin primacy mxm4 leave a lot to be desired. Unfortunately bfgoodrich doesn’t make sport comp 2s in 235/40r19:cry:

I used VIDA to activate the “afterblower” function on the AC and turn up the heat on the seats. Still figuring out how vida and dice work. Maps and grace note were updated via USB without issue.

Next project is cup holder/ light ring/ shifter and shift boot. Next stretch of days off the car will see a full decon 2 step polish and ceramic coating with CSL/EXO

· Registered
116 Posts
I used VIDA to activate the “afterblower” function on the AC and turn up the heat on the seats. Still figuring out how vida and dice work. Maps and grace note were updated via USB without issue.

Next project is cup holder/ light ring/ shifter and shift boot. Next stretch of days off the car will see a full decon 2 step polish and ceramic coating with CSL/EXO
I'd love to hear more about "turn up the heat on the seats". Mine don't get particularly warm, even on the highest setting. I didn't realize that was programmable. (?)

I just did the cup holder rubber (was easy enough), and thoroughly inspected the fiber optic light ring, and all seemed in order. I just don't think it's a particularly bright light source. Eventually I might dig back into it and see if the harness connector (that houses the bulb) could be swapped with a brighter LED.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts