SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, been posting here a lot lately and thought I would start a prog thread. So here it is:

2007 S40 2.4i w/ geartronic ~75,000 miles
Purchase in December of 2013

Love the car so far, aside from the suspension clunks that I'm still working on getting figured out. Goal is to keep it mostly stock, aside from a few minor suspension upgrades.

So far:
Brake fluid flush
Volvo OEM spark plugs
E-focus mount
Left and Right motor mounts
Replaced stripped passenger side motor mount bracket
Volvo OEM Air filter
Volvo OEM Cabin filter
Passenger side axle
Left and Right outer tie rods
Left inner tie rod
Koni FSD struts/shocks
Febi front strut braces and bearings
Meyle HD endlinks
EST Strut tower brace
Volvo OEM timing belt, tensioner and pulley
New splash plate nuts
Michelin Xice3 on 16' Cepheus Wheels
Phillips H9 headlight bulbs
3rd rear brake light replaced
Mudflaps
Alignment
Volvo OEM All-weather mats
ELEVATE rear anti-sway bar
Reverse light 796 bulb upgrade
LED interior, trunk, city lights, license plate lights
H9 halogen headlight bulb upgrade
Fog Lights
LED City Lights
C30 sport LCAs
L/R hubs/wheel bearings
Volvo OEM battery
Volvo OEM Sport pedals
BFGoodrich g-force COMP-2 A/S 205/55r16
Akebeno ceramic pads
Centric high carbon rotors
R&L GKN axles
Rear sway link bushings
Roof rack

To do:
Replace alternator/ac tensioners
Repaint calipers (silver or black)
iPd Skid plate

Thanks ya'll!

:beer::beer::beer:

Edit- 10/21/2014 ~84,000 Miles
FINALLY got all the clunks out of the front end. They were coming from many sources. I was getting noises from a bad strut bearing, end links, a blown strut and a loose LCA bolt. The timing belt was a pain in the rear. Last time I ever do that. But after the install the car is driving fine with no CELs and getting slightly improved MPG (possibly from the new bearings in the tensioner/ pulley?)

11/29/2014 ~88,000 Miles
Put some Michelin X Ice 3s on a set of 16 inch Cepheus wheels for the winter. Actually impressed by the dry road handling for snow tires. Low road noise and a 40k mile warranty.

4/6/2015 89,378 Miles
Installed Elevate Rear Sway bar. I get it now...

5/15/2015 90,008 Miles
Changed oil to Mobil 1 Extended Synthetic, Magnetic Drain Plug

5/20/2015 90,038
Installed used fog lights, grilles and switch

6/9/2015 90,075
Installed C30 sport LCAs

9/1/2015 96,765
Left and Right wheel bearing/hubs replaced

11/11/2015 101,175
Oil change German Castrol 0w-30 Full Synthetic

1/19/2016 104,900
Replaced battery with Volvo OEM

3/15/2016 107,943
Winter tires removed and stored
BFGoodrich g-force COMP-2 A/S 205/55r16 installed
Oil change German Castrol 0w-30 Full Sythetic
Volvo OEM Sport Pedals installed

10/15/2016 115,000
Replaced front and rear rotors/pads with akebeno ceramic pads and centric high carbon rotors

7/25/2017 146,500
Replaced R&L driveshafts with GKN axles

4/25/2018 152,630
Rear suspension overhaul:
Replaced R&L trailing arms
Installed adjustable rear camber arms
Replaced sway bar links
Replaced rear control arms
Replaced sway bar brackets

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Skip the IPD bar as well. Many other better & cheaper options.

Wow, you are saving money left & right. :)

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
FSD Shocks review and update

Well the front suspension is all fixed up. Ended up costing me around $650 total :( (and I did all the work) BUT No more clunks, rattles, clicks, grinds etc!!! Ended up replacing the struts/ shocks with Koni FSDs, new meyle HD front endlinks, new Febi strut mounts and bearings. The final noise seen here: [video]http://tinypic.com/m/idf41e/1[/video] ended up being a bolt in the LCA. It was only a half turn loose and making all that racket!

FSD review:

After a few hundred miles with the Koni FSDs all I can say is wow. I'm blown away. The car stays much more level during cornering, (but I'm still getting some roll in the rear) The ride is noticeably more firm, but still very comfortable. The FSDs are weird. They are slightly more firm than the OEM comfort shocks around town but SIGNIFICANTLY more firm when you're taking a turn on the highway or driving mountain roads. It's going to take some time to get used to the fact that I can push my car so much more around turns!

Overall, I'd say the FSDs were well worth the $600 investment. Huge improvement over the stock setup and a very very easy installation. The new struts/shocks seem to have lifted my car on all 4 corners (not a downside for me, I do a lot of gravel/ dirt road driving to go fly fishing in the backcountry). I'll see if it's still lifted after I get an alignment. Only downside is I can't see the beautiful gold struts with the tires on!

Old vs new:

I'm not really sure if the strut brace or HD endlinks did anything because I installed them the same time as the struts. I'll get some pictures of the strut brace here soon.

Here's the endlinks compared:

As you can see they are way beefier and have much larger bushings. I also like the blue accents, but you can't see them with the wheels on.

Here's how she sits now: (car is filthy, excuse in photo below)

Finished up the suspension with enough time to get to the fishing hole :cool::

Next project will be mudflaps and a full pre-winter detail. Anyone interested in a car detail writeup?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hey phish -

Car's looking good. I have a set of Eibach springs and SPC camber arms and am going to finish off the handling package with the Koni FSD's with some new sticky tires in the spring. Where did you manage to find the FSD's for $500? That's an awesome price. Thx in advance.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey phish -

Car's looking good. I have a set of Eibach springs and SPC camber arms and am going to finish off the handling package with the Koni FSD's with some new sticky tires in the spring. Where did you manage to find the FSD's for $500? That's an awesome price. Thx in advance.
Sorry that was a mistake! They were $600. I found them here: http://www.nopi.com/dsp_part_detail.php?vnopinum=452+0062&vt=n&vmakeid=450&vpcid=452 and had FCP euro pricematch because I needed to get some other parts at the time. Still, $600 is a steal.

See this post for contact info: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?217677-Cheapest-Koni-FSD-deal-on-the-internet-605

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hmmmm.....FCP Euro no longer lists the Koni's on its site. As such, I am assuming (trusting/hoping?) that you have been satisfied with your business dealings with NOPI? I have never dealt with them in the past. Thx.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hmmmm.....FCP Euro no longer lists the Koni's on its site. As such, I am assuming (trusting/hoping?) that you have been satisfied with your business dealings with NOPI? I have never dealt with them in the past. Thx.
I had to call FCP, they don't have them listed on the site but IIRC I got one of their last sets they had in stock. Bobby at NOPI was a really nice guy and I talked with him for a little while. He just didn't carry the other Volvo parts that I needed for the job. You could also wait for the Koni sale they have every year, but I'm not sure when that is.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
glad you're liking the FSDs. they do loosen up after a few thousand miles so the "firmness" goes away during regular driving. they still firm up with aggressive driving more so than stock. get a larger rear sway bar - super easy install and you'll really cut down on body roll

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A few new additions!

-OEM all weather floor mats. They look and fit better than I thought they would. Took out the carpet mats and removed all the stains.

-Elevate rear sway bar (horizontal tabs) purchased today. Got it on Ebay for $157 shipped. It was new in the box, never used but it was listed as a "C30" model. I'm pretty sure they're the same but the seller never got back to me about if the spacing was 17.5" or 19". We'll see if it fits and if not it'll go on the classifieds here.

Next project will be fog lights and either tires or a skid plate.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Don't hold me to it but I believe all horizontal bars are the narrow S40/v50 spacing. You should be good.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I installed my elevate rear sway bar today. I GET IT NOW. I see why everyone says it's one of the best upgrades. Feels like a much different car. Turn in is much better and the mountain switchbacks are way too much fun. Body roll also slightly improved.

Install was a breeze. I'll need to replace the rear link bushings soon they were pretty worn out. Here's a few pictures:

How long until I should recheck the bolts? I couldn't believe torque spec was only 20ft/lbs for the brackets. :confused:

Last step was installing +5hp on my front strut bar:

Also- I finally found and fixed the noise my suspension has been making. (I've been chasing down clunks and squeaks since I purchased this car). I was having a "chirp chirp" over bumps. Turned out it was the top strut nut. When I installed my FSDs I didn't have the proper tools to torque the bolt so I just got it as tight as I could. Finally went a purchased a pass through wrench and it was probably only a 1/2 turn off, but it made all the difference.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts