SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2021 S60 T8 Inscription
58 Posts
@FusionRedXC60 Took a pic while driving on the highway today.. I can go north of 80+ (84 in picture) on EV mode. I want to say the highest I've hit is like 87-90 on EV only mode. It definitely eats up the battery, but it's not limited to under 75mph.

Vehicle Font Auto part Display device Gauge

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's great. It looks like the original T8 hybrid engine was introduced in Fall 2015 on the XC90. This revision is a substantial improvement with the power being more viable in electric only mode (and long lasting). Combined with the bigger commitment to android infotainment, I see a good direction. I'm concerned (4 months into my '21 S60 T8 lease) that this may delay the next gen S60 (I only care that it is released before Fall 2024 assuming I'd get a 6-month lease extension) as they have 2 seemingly useful midcycle updates that could be introduced and delay the redesign.

·
Registered
59 Posts
@FusionRedXC60 Took a pic while driving on the highway today.. I can go north of 80+ (84 in picture) on EV mode. I want to say the highest I've hit is like 87-90 on EV only mode. It definitely eats up the battery, but it's not limited to under 75mph.
My 2020 S60 T8 starts the ICE at between 77 and 78 mph, regardless of load. For instance, I've had it happen while under very light throttle, essentially coasting downhill.

·
Registered
2021 S60 T8 Inscription
58 Posts
@S60-1800ES I wonder if there's a software upgrade that would change the EV/ICE behavior on your car to match mine. I don't think there's any difference in battery size or drive motors between the 2020 and 2021 MY S60 T8.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Can someone else with a 2021 model confirm that behavior? The 2021 owners manual on page 432 still says:

Pure mode is available when the hybrid battery is sufficiently charged. Even in Pure mode, the combustion engine will start if the charge level in the battery gets too low. The combustion engine will also start
• if the vehicle's speed goes above 125 km/h (78 mph)
• if the driver requests more power than the electric motor can provide
• if factors such as cold weather affect the system or components.

Per the manual, it looks like your car is not behaving as expected (though in a good way I suppose).

·
Registered
410 Posts
Oh this is interesting, on the 2022 owners manual it now says the cutoff point is 87mph:

Pure mode is not available:
  • if the battery's charge level is too low
  • if the vehicle's speed exceeds 140 km/h (87 mph) (does not apply on downhill gradients, etc.)
  • if factors such as cold weather affect the system or components.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Kind of off topic, but they also added a graph that seems to suggest that the optimal speed for maximum range is around 15mph.

Slope Plot Line Font Parallel

·
Registered
684 Posts
Count me among the skeptical that any current Volvo PHEV can get more than about 18-20 miles of all-electric range even while hypermiling, and that would be at speeds < 40-45 mph. If your car computer is saying you can get 27 miles of all-electric driving, that doesn't mean that it can. One has to actually drive in all-electric mode and watch the odometer to see when it runs out, not trust what any computer projects.

·
Registered
2021 S60 T8 Inscription
58 Posts
You can be skeptical all you want.. I posted pictures of a trip I took where I got close to 29 miles range. Heck, just today, I got 26 miles for my round trip commute, so while 29 may have been a "lucky" trip.. I wouldn't say my daily commute is lucky in any way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Count me among the skeptical that any current Volvo PHEV can get more than about 18-20 miles of all-electric range even while hypermiling, and that would be at speeds < 40-45 mph. If your car computer is saying you can get 27 miles of all-electric driving, that doesn't mean that it can. One has to actually drive in all-electric mode and watch the odometer to see when it runs out, not trust what any computer projects.
Why do you think the optimum speed for maximum range on the battery would be 40-45 mph? That may be true for the ICE, but Volvo (and I) :) think otherwise. WRT actual observed range, I know that my '20 S60 T8 has done 20+ miles on the battery, dozens of times (with 21-22 miles predicted on the dash), and at highway speeds of at least 65 mph to boot.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I wonder why there's such a huge disparity between cars. On mine on the freeway at 65mph I'm looking at around 17 miles. I can get 22 miles if I hypermile the **** out of it at city speeds.

How many kwh is VOC reporting that you're using? On mine it tops out at around 8.7kwh in Pure mode, which might explain why my range is lower.

·
Registered
2021 S60 T8 Inscription
58 Posts
I used 4.5 kWh on my return trip (12.8 miles) and 4.4kWh (12.9 miles) on my way to work, so 8.9kWh total for 25.7 miles.

Looks like I regened 0.4kWh on my way back and 0.6kWh on my way there.

I have a "Late" 2021 MY S60 T8.. I'm guessing they're constantly making improvements that results in the slightly increased range.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I routinely get more than 20 but not more than 25 miles in Pure mode around town and in our 2021 V60 TE PE. I'd have to really make an effort to get more than 25 though. And my ICE definitely kicks in at 78mph (or less) no matter what I do on the highway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You're not going to get a "real" sports chassis on the S60 T8.. it's simply too heavy with the battery pack and all the luxury/safety features. To handle the weight, you'd have to have a hella stiff setup and then the ride quality would be non-existent.
I'm not sure I'd agree here. Our V60 T8 PE handles and steers extremely well. The ohlins really work wonders. Yes, it's a heavy station wagon but this car really does handle well without having a brittle, flinty or crashy ride quality to it. It frankly reminds me of the way BMW used to set up their sports cars.

·
Registered
2021 V60PE
72 Posts
Can someone else with a 2021 model confirm that behavior?
I'll check in PURE mode on my 21 PE but in Hybrid, the engine comes on at 78. I don't use PURE on highway unless it's a single exit. But I'm fairly certain it tops out at 78. My door sticker says manufactured in March 2021, so late in the model year, I think..

·
Registered
2021 S60 T8 Inscription
58 Posts
@Da Hapa - Sure, the Polestar Engineered S60 is already available... I'm saying that there's no incentive for Volvo to create a "sporty" option between the R Design S60 T8 and the Polestar Engineered S60 T8. They simply don't sell enough S60's for it to make sense to further subdivide the inventory. If anything, I'd imagine they'll consolidate the line up further.

·
Registered
979 Posts
@Da Hapa - Sure, the Polestar Engineered S60 is already available... I'm saying that there's no incentive for Volvo to create a "sporty" option between the R Design S60 T8 and the Polestar Engineered S60 T8. They simply don't sell enough S60's for it to make sense to further subdivide the inventory. If anything, I'd imagine they'll consolidate the line up further.
Yes on that point I totally agree. It's completely possible, but not really a need or demand for a sport chassis option. It was easy enough to offer the option in the US when the "rest of the world" got the sport chassis standard on the R-Design, but the T8 is dynamic chassis worldwide. With the US franchise dealer model it was hard enough to find a sport chassis in stock in 2019.

edit: I should say personally I think they should make a sport chassis standard on the R-Design, otherwise the model is but a trim package. But that is what it is.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Why do you think the optimum speed for maximum range on the battery would be 40-45 mph? That may be true for the ICE, but Volvo (and I) :) think otherwise. WRT actual observed range, I know that my '20 S60 T8 has done 20+ miles on the battery, dozens of times (with 21-22 miles predicted on the dash), and at highway speeds of at least 65 mph to boot.
It's been pretty widely proven that EV range peaks around 30-35 mph, and goes down rapidly as you go over 40-45 mph (due to air/wind drag). Even Volvo can't defy the laws of physics.

Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's been pretty widely proven that EV range peaks around 30-35 mph, and goes down rapidly as you go over 40-45 mph (due to air/wind drag). Even Volvo can't defy the laws of physics.
That's a Tesla chart. Did you not see post #27 in this thread? Volvo is saying something entirely different about the T8... it indicates that max range is at a significantly LOWER speed than your 35 mph, which was my point. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Interesting charts! Trying to wrap my brain around the physics of the difference of max efficiency speed Volvo vs Tesla. Not knowing the efficiency of the electric motors and how that works out, I just googled it and it seems quite high for load and RPM compared to the small amount of HP it typically takes to keep a car moving at a steady speed. I'd speculate there is some sort of curve there, and the point at which drag (aero, friction, tires) becomes greater than any advantage of efficiency with increased load on the motor, is where it drops off the peak. That seems to indicate the Tesla has lower overall drag as an electric car, which does seem to make sense, range being so critical to the product.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts