SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
We love our V60 T8 Polestar Engineered but this would be a massive upgrade. I hope Volvo doesn't kill the wagon in the US and they decide to follow suit and bring this to our models.

·
Registered
2021 S60 T8 Inscription
58 Posts
Looks like the XC60 & S90 are getting it before the S60.. maybe we'll have that in the 2023 S60? Or is this announcement for the 2023 MY? Meaning, we'll maybe see it in the S60 in 2024?

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
It's not on the current 2022s in the US... but it is coming sooner than later.

Reactions: volvoinsd

·
Registered
410 Posts
Keep in mind that the WLTP range is way way way off from what the EPA tests yield. Realistially we're looking at about 30-35 miles with the 18kwh battery pack, not the 50+ miles WLTP would have you believe. For instance, the current XC90 T8 is rated to have a whopping 31 miles range, whereas the EPA range is 18 miles. I think most people are getting at most 20 miles.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Upgrades are happening for S60 just as much as with the other models. Scheduled production starts week 46, but with shortages that's likely to be delayed

Reactions: DFrantz

·
Registered
2021 S60 T8 Inscription
58 Posts
Realistically we're looking at about 30-35 miles with the 18kwh battery pack
Considering I get about 27-30 miles of range out of my 11.6kWh 2021 model... I'd think that your 30-35 miles range from an 18.8kWh battery seems pretty low. They've also upgraded the motors, which I imagine are slightly more efficient than before.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Considering I get about 27-30 miles of range out of my 11.6kWh 2021 model... I'd think that your 30-35 miles range from an 18.8kWh battery seems pretty low. They've also upgraded the motors, which I imagine are slightly more efficient than before.
I'm getting about 40km out of my 2020 V60 which is around 25mi. I'd be curious to hear how you are getting in the 27-30 mile range.

I have mentioned to my wife that if the car got upwards of 60-70 km per charge, it would be perfect. I hope this announcement means this will eventually make it it North America

·
Registered
2021 S60 T8 Inscription
58 Posts
There are a couple of things that I do to help my range..

1) I keep my car in my garage & try to use the remote A/C function while it's still plugged in.
2) I try to keep my highway speeds under 75 mph.. I've found the EV range is significantly impacted if you're driving 80+ mph
3) I do my best to drive smoothly, so that I'm not constantly speeding up and slowing down.

To be fair, I treat my EV range like a game.. where I get more imaginary points if I get a better range. I'm sure I'd get something more like 25m range if I cared/tried less.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I posted about this in the 2022 thread, before I saw this one. It seems like a nice upgrade.

Not like "more power" is what would make me want to turn in the T6 for a T8, but the upgrade of the ERAD at 145hp seems to be possibly a worthwhile improvement in dynamics when you got the other ~300hp up front. And I start to think with the bigger battery it seems more useful overall around town. And of course a bigger party trick when you put them together at 455hp. I could see liking that. Please give me a sport chassis Volvo??

·
Registered
2021 S60 T8 Inscription
58 Posts
You're not going to get a "real" sports chassis on the S60 T8.. it's simply too heavy with the battery pack and all the luxury/safety features. To handle the weight, you'd have to have a hella stiff setup and then the ride quality would be non-existent.

·
Registered
410 Posts
There are a couple of things that I do to help my range..

1) I keep my car in my garage & try to use the remote A/C function while it's still plugged in.
2) I try to keep my highway speeds under 75 mph.. I've found the EV range is significantly impacted if you're driving 80+ mph
3) I do my best to drive smoothly, so that I'm not constantly speeding up and slowing down.

To be fair, I treat my EV range like a game.. where I get more imaginary points if I get a better range. I'm sure I'd get something more like 25m range if I cared/tried less.
Considering that the most efficient speed is around 40-45mph, I’m confused how you’re able to get 27-30 miles at 75mph. Either you have some sort of factory freak, or you’re not really getting that many miles from the battery. I have the same battery size and I have to absolutely baby it just to see 24 miles in pure mode. At 70mph on the freeway I get about 17 miles.

·
Registered
264 Posts
My top score has been 29mi. Normally I get 22 or so with suburban 30-40mph and a few stops. With highway it's definitely under 20, but I also like to accelerate to 80 as fast as the conditions allow

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
My top score has been 29mi. Normally I get 22 or so with suburban 30-40mph and a few stops. With highway it's definitely under 20, but I also like to accelerate to 80 as fast as the conditions allow
ERAD only powers up to about 75mph, then ICE kicks in.

·
Registered
2021 S60 T8 Inscription
58 Posts
I don't drive on highways a lot, but here's a trip I took downtown (jury duty was cancelled when I arrived). You can see that I drove there and back (didn't charge at all) and travelled 29.7 miles. I ran out of battery right down the street from my house (used 0.1 gal of gas, which I think is the lowest increment it counts).

Hope this clarifies things.

Font Number Screenshot Circle Parallel
Font Number Screenshot Circle Parallel

·
Registered
59 Posts
Average speeds are very telling. Volvo says 100 km/h reduces range by 50% as compared to steady 50 km/h, obviously due to significantly higher aerodynamic drag. Similarly, any variation from ideal temperature (20C/68F) will measurably reduce range, particularly at colder temps. Even with interior climate controls OFF, range will be reduced by about 20% at 0C/32F... and 40% if you insist on staying warm inside the car. :)

FWIW, using spreadsheet functions to do the actual math, my average speed over the last 9000 miles or so has been 42 mph. That includes every single "trip" recorded by the VoC app, even the 0.1 mile in-town drives, or moving the car the 200 feet from the garage to my shop. Therefore, it shouldn't be a big surprise that my average electric range with the T8 is only about 20 miles, because the vast majority of my driving (immediately post plug-in charge) is on open highway at 65-70 mph. I typically have exactly one stop sign and no other slow-down zones, between my driveway and the part of the trip where the ICE starts up due to lack of electricity.

·
Registered
2021 S60 T8 Inscription
58 Posts
Yep, I agree with the post above.. EV range is wildly affected by the "your mileage may vary" qualifier, based on your specific conditions & driving style.

Working from home for Covid times, most of my driving is off highway, in a big city (stop light to stop light), where we have no hills, and I keep my car in a garage, so it's often sitting at a chill 70-75ish temperature.

The good news, and the reason I bought this T8 is that we have the option for hybrid or full on ICE driving, so our full EV range isn't so limiting.

·
Registered
979 Posts
You're not going to get a "real" sports chassis on the S60 T8.. it's simply too heavy with the battery pack and all the luxury/safety features. To handle the weight, you'd have to have a hella stiff setup and then the ride quality would be non-existent.
That's a bunch of non-sense. Suspension tuning is wide open to engineers of any type of car. Granted there is a dynamic advantage to my T6 with the sport chassis I think it's about 4-500lbs of weight added on the T8. Less weight always good! The tuning of springs and shocks is all up to the OEM in what compromise they want to deliver, Volvo offered the dynamic and sport chassis on the T5 and T6. It's simply a product decision for them to only offer dynamic on the T8. There is a ride penalty for the sport chassis as it is in my T6 but I don't mind too much, based on my suspension experience I speculate that there is only so much they can do with conventional Sachs dampers at the quality level of the "normal" T8, the Ohlins on the PE likely buy less compromise particularly with the DFV technology.

While not averse to modifying my cars, I'd rather they just offered a more aggressive setup for $200. Then again I would consider swapping the Ohlins on my T6 when I can get the right price, I suppose I could look to do that with T8. The last hurdle would be the pricing, it looks like the equivalent to my T6 R would sticker at a little under 54k. I just don't know if I would get the same deal with incentives, Costco and great dealer discount again. Obviously I should just get a V60 PE! But it's simply out of my budget so I have enjoyed my "lesser" T6.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts