SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So the vehicle I have used to transport my dogs is no longer able to do so, which necessitates I'm going to have to bite the bullet and bring the pups into the 2015.5 S60. It is what it is I guess.

I want to do my best to prevent the dogs damaging anything in the vehicle... So I have a few questions.

Dogs in Question = Beagle + Yorkie.

1. Does anyone use a Dog Hammock with Side Flaps. Any recommendations on one that is durable, well made, and adequately protects the doors?

2. I don't intend to let my dogs roam around the back. I Will also purchase Carriers for both pups. I want the hammock for when they get in and get out of car.

Yorkie should be easy to find a pet carrier for. Any good Durable Pet carriers for a Standard Beagle. He weighs about 30 Pounds. Wanting one that's easy to bring in and out of the car.

Recommendations are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13,985 Posts
We have an Outward Hound Hammock for the back seat - it doesn't have side flaps and the doors are exposed but we've not had a problem with that. Our dog is 30 lbs so I typically pick her up to put her in the back seat. We also use a restraint that hooks onto her collar and is attached to the seat's latch mechanism.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have an Outward Hound Hammock for the back seat - it doesn't have side flaps and the doors are exposed but we've not had a problem with that. Our dog is 30 lbs so I typically pick her up to put her in the back seat. We also use a restraint that hooks onto her collar and is attached to the seat's latch mechanism.
How durable is the Outward Hound Hammock? You think it would support a pet carrier?

·
Registered
13,985 Posts
How durable is the Outward Hound Hammock? You think it would support a pet carrier?
It seems like pretty durable nylon - I think it would do fine, especially for a plastic carrier.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Trade for V60

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trade for V60

Use to own a V40..Car got totaled out in an accident. .Didn't consider pets when I got the s60. Had another car but that car isn't going to be around a lot longer it seems. But no, don't plan to trade nor can I afford to do so. My car has 7 yr CPO + Prepaid Maintenance + wear until mid 2022. Spent more than enough on the ride and keep cars long term.

So looking for realistic suggestions...Unless of course you're buying because you're Uncle moneybags?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Nope - had a V70R, which was a great car with our last dog, except my driving made him queasy.

Love the V60RD, but just cats now, so next Volvo:

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope - had a V70R, which was a great car with our last dog, except my driving made him queasy.

Love the V60RD, but just cats now, so next Volvo:

In hindsight, I should have gotten a V60, where I could have brought the dogs and installed a pet gate...But hindsight is always 20/20

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
In hindsight, I should have gotten a V60, where I could have brought the dogs and installed a pet gate...But hindsight is always 20/20
I know that off-lease Volvos are good deals (i.e., they depreciate a lot but hold up well in the first 3 or 4 years) - the V60RD was our first new Volvo out of four so far since our original ‘98 V70 AWD. And we did have a dog for a while in our ‘02 S60 AWD.

So, perhaps a slight trade up to a 3 or 4 year old V60?

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know that off-lease Volvos are good deals (i.e., they depreciate a lot but hold up well in the first 3 or 4 years) - the V60RD was our first new Volvo out of four so far since our original ‘98 V70 AWD. And we did have a dog for a while in our ‘02 S60 AWD.

So, perhaps a slight trade up to a 3 or 4 year old V60?

Sadly, no trade ups. I'm in my S60 for the long haul. Got Prepaid Maintenance + Wear until & CPO until June 2022. Not worth giving those up.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have a 5 month old Beagle and no way on god's earth will he ever be allowed in my S60. He is a psychopath. Luckily we also have an XC90 : ) .

Sorry I know that doesn't help you.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
So the vehicle I have used to transport my dogs is no longer able to do so, which necessitates I'm going to have to bite the bullet and bring the pups into the 2015.5 S60. It is what it is I guess.

I want to do my best to prevent the dogs damaging anything in the vehicle... So I have a few questions.

Dogs in Question = Beagle + Yorkie.

1. Does anyone use a Dog Hammock with Side Flaps. Any recommendations on one that is durable, well made, and adequately protects the doors?

2. I don't intend to let my dogs roam around the back. I Will also purchase Carriers for both pups. I want the hammock for when they get in and get out of car.

Yorkie should be easy to find a pet carrier for. Any good Durable Pet carriers for a Standard Beagle. He weighs about 30 Pounds. Wanting one that's easy to bring in and out of the car.

Recommendations are greatly appreciated.
For safety purposes, consider a Sleepypod ClickIt. http://sleepypod.com/clickit-sport
We have one for our ~30 lb Boykin and it is lovely. Works on bigger and smaller dogs too as they sell different sizes.
Only downside is it uses a seatbelt so if you are already carrying 5 humans that won't work of course, but it is by far the safest option for both dog and human passengers (should the doggie become a missile in a crash).

Here is our Boykin in our XC70, but we put her in any of the Volvos.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For safety purposes, consider a Sleepypod ClickIt. http://sleepypod.com/clickit-sport
We have one for our ~30 lb Boykin and it is lovely. Works on bigger and smaller dogs too as they sell different sizes.
Only downside is it uses a seatbelt so if you are already carrying 5 humans that won't work of course, but it is by far the safest option for both dog and human passengers (should the doggie become a missile in a crash).

Here is our Boykin in our XC70, but we put her in any of the Volvos.

Does that harness prevent your boykin from climbing on the door and killing the armrest leather? Dogs naturally love to prop themselves up and look out the window!

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a 5 month old Beagle and no way on god's earth will he ever be allowed in my S60. He is a psychopath. Luckily we also have an XC90 : ) .

Sorry I know that doesn't help you.
I got a 7 year old beagle and that little **** is a candidate for Mensa. He can open the refrigerator (had to buy a lock). Unlock and open his cage. Climb up and steal food from the counter....

Better never introduce my beagle to yours.... He might give him some pointers that get spread across the breed.

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Does that harness prevent your boykin from climbing on the door and killing the armrest leather? Dogs naturally love to prop themselves up and look out the window!
Yes, it definitely restricts that sort of movement. You could always lock the seat belt in ratched mode too if you want. Our Boykin is actually tall enough to see out without climbing up though (just barely). You could also belt your dog in to the middle of the rear seat rather than outboard position.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I got a 7 year old beagle and that little **** is a candidate for Mensa. He can open the refrigerator (had to buy a lock). Unlock and open his cage. Climb up and steal food from the counter....

Better never introduce my beagle to yours.... He might give him some pointers that get spread across the breed.
Yikes! Mine has done some of these things already but not the fridge! Why didn't these dogs come with a warning?

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yikes! Mine has done some of these things already but not the fridge! Why didn't these dogs come with a warning?
Mine came from a shelter. Didn't know what I was getting until I already fell in love. Worked his way into my heart, then raided the fridge. Figured too late to return me! So I'm here and I'm GOING to eat your food!

I have literally caught him a few times (never quick enough to grab a video) trying to pull open the door. Even though the lock prevents it now.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Mine came from a shelter. Didn't know what I was getting until I already fell in love. Worked his way into my heart, then raided the fridge. Figured too late to return me! So I'm here and I'm GOING to eat your food!

I have literally caught him a few times (never quick enough to grab a video) trying to pull open the door. Even though the lock prevents it now.
We had a cat which would open a closed door with a knob (not lever-type) handle. Used to get calls from the alarm company when she'd open the door to the garage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts