SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time in almost 30 years, there are zero Volvos in my garage. I sold the '13 S60 AWD and bought a '13 535XI. Even with the RFT, the Bimmer has a vastly better ride than the S60 on regular tires. It also won't take me halfway into a decreasing radius turn and suddenly refuse to turn any further. My '87 764T didn't do this, nor did my '96 854T5 or my late DW's '02 V70T5.

Volvo really needs to re-think the S60. The poor ride, the massive amounts of understeer, the creaky plastic interior, the fact that the cars never pulls in the same direction twice when moving from a standing start.

It used to be that one could buy a Volvo, put some sway bars and struts in it and have a pretty nice handling car for much less than the German alternatives. Volvo no longer provides these opportunities and instead offers a car designed for my Mother.

Very disappointing.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sounds as if you've embarked on a similar path to us. Last year when we sold our much loved C30 T5 (we just couldn't justify having a second car) it was the first time in nearly 20 years we didn't have a Volvo. 4.5 years ago we went away from Volvo for our main car when we got an X3 30d - our first BMW. At the time really wanted to stay with Volvo but the XC60 D5 simply was not competitive with the BMW. After a very successful time with the X3 we have began to think about our next car. We spent considerable time before Christmas driving a variety of mid-sized wagons - V60, V60CC, 3 Series and C Class wagons. And I'm sorry, but again the V60s were simply not competitive - especially the actual driving experience - compared with the BMW and MB. In the end we decided to stick with the X3 for now.

I will always have a soft spot for Volvo and would love to come back to them but they simply have nothing to offer at the moment. What is a little frustrating for us is that at the time we bought the X3 in mid-2011, we took out an extended 5 year warranty (which we've never had reason to claim against) and 5 years full servicing - thinking that when these ran out in 5 years time in mid 2016 the next generation 60 series models would be here. The reality is the XC60 is probably 2 years away and the S60/V60 close to 3 years. As good as the promise is with the new XC90 and now the S90, I just can't see us waiting that long.

Tony

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
hmm, what I'm getting out of this is to test drive a BMW/MB next time.

However....

I don't think we value "the driving experience" as much as others. For us, we love the volvo interior. BMW/MB have hideous interiors which make you feel like you're in a car, which at the moment, I don't want. I really enjoy the feeling of sitting in a moving leisure room.

That said, the ride of our xc60 is rough. I (notice I didn't say WE) might be willing to forego the mobile love room in favor of a more comfortable, posh ride. Additionally, we might also want a summer car where we DO want that "driving experience".

I think what I'm saying is I might need three different cars as trying to find one car to satisfy all requirements is probably impossible.

Perhaps BMW/MB are very good at fulfilling most of the different qualities I've enumerated above in a singular vehicle, but I wish they would simply copy the new xc90/s90 interior onto their chassis's.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I think we all have different wants and desires in our vehicles. I too left the Volvo family in March of last year for a Genesis. Mostly because I was tired of our local Volvo service experience. But after about 6 months in the Genesis I found myself thinking of replacing it with a Volvo after the lease runs out. The Genesis has some amazing tech and a full suite of safety nannies but the overall combination of everything leaves me with wanting the familiar Volvo interior. Our XC60 has been almost bullet proof but can't say that for all our past Volvos. There is just something very comfortable, safe and familiar with Volvos. I also like that I don't see one around every corner. I'm waiting until fall of 17 to start looking and hoping Volvo has some new product.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts