SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,<p>I tried the search function, but no luck.<br>Anyone have either Permagard or Prestige protective coatings applied to their paint and interior to protect their R? Dealer really encouraged me to get the Prestige product on my new R ASAP. Tried a google search too, but no luck. Your 2 cents is appreciated along with what it cost.<br>Thanks,<br>Jim

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Re: PERMAGARD or PRESTIGE auto coatings. Anyone use these products (surfsd)

My dad bought an Accord way back in 1991 that had a Prestige exterior protection package and the paint looked as bad as any other Honda product ten years later - dull and oxidized. I'm not convinced that it's worth it. I say no way! Just use a good wax every few months.<p>How much do they want for it if you don't mind me asking?<p>- Tryg

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: PERMAGARD or PRESTIGE auto coatings. Anyone use these products (RainyS60R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>RainyS60R</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My dad bought an Accord way back in 1991 that had a Prestige exterior protection package and the paint looked as bad as any other Honda product ten years later - dull and oxidized. I'm not convinced that it's worth it. I say no way! Just use a good wax every few months.<p>How much do they want for it if you don't mind me asking?<p>- Tryg</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Dealer quoted $750 for int/ext treatment. I couldn't even consider as I had flown in to get the car, paid for it, as was down the road.<br>Jim

·
Registered
3,344 Posts

Run away if they want to put ANYTHING on the R leather. Most of us use Lexol only as you can destroy the finish with other products. Save your $750 and treat your car to a detail every couple of years.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts

PLEASE don't waste your money. What the dealers use isn't any better than what you can buy yourself. Take a few hours and detail it with some quality products. For the paint I recommend synthetic waxes and sealants like Klasse or Zaino. You only have to use them maybe once or twice a year. With every wash, just use a quick detailing spray made for synthetic waxes and it'll maintain a good protective shine. For the leather, use Lexol. Simple and a lot cheaper than the hundreds of dollars dealers charge. If you're really paranoid about the paint on the front of the car, get an invisible bra kit installed. Heck I suppose you could cover the whole car in that stuff if you wanted to. <p>Ok sorry I just realized you already had it applied. Well in that case, don't feel too bad. Just don't think of it as a <B>permanent</B> solution. Whatever they applied will eventually wear off.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Re: PERMAGARD or PRESTIGE auto coatings. Anyone use these products (PhilUp)

I used to use Liquid Glass and then Autoglym on my old Black BMW, but got sick of waxing every couple of months.<p>I used this on the R <br><A HREF="http://www.toughguard.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.toughguard.com</A>/<p>I put it on two years ago when I bought the R and have not waxed it since. <br>It cost about $100 and took about 3 hours to apply. KEEP IT OFF the black trim if you have a 2004. It is great on any other painted surface.<p>-Ben

·
Registered
1,450 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>surfsd</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Greetings,<p>I tried the search function, but no luck.<br>Anyone have either Permagard or Prestige protective coatings applied to their paint and interior to protect their R? Dealer really encouraged me to get the Prestige product on my new R ASAP. Tried a google search too, but no luck. Your 2 cents is appreciated along with what it cost.<br>Thanks,<br>Jim</TD></TR></TABLE><p>i would recommend zaino for the paint (its somewhat a pain to apply, but the results are awesome). Klasse is easier to apply and is quite durable, but zaino has subjectively a much better shine. both are synthetics and tend to last much longer than carnuba waxes.<p>for the leather i would use either lexol or zaino leather in a bottle-- leather in a bottle has a great smell...<p><br>oh yeah, as for dealer applied paint coating-- run away-- most of the time its commercially available product with a huge markup...<br>

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Re: (R_Rated)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>R_Rated</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IPD has some really good stuff in their catalog. The maguires NXT stuff works great too.</TD></TR></TABLE>NXT looks great on the Black. But DO NOT get it on the non painted surfaces.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Re: PERMAGARD or PRESTIGE auto coatings. Anyone use these products (bcantana)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>bcantana</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>I used this on the R <br><A HREF="http://www.toughguard.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.toughguard.com</A>/<p>I put it on two years ago when I bought the R and have not waxed it since. <br>It cost about $100 and took about 3 hours to apply. KEEP IT OFF the black trim if you have a 2004. It is great on any other painted surface.<p>-Ben</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Personally I doubt any product that claims that it will last forever and that you will never have to wax again unless it's just a freakin layer of clearcoat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts