SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Used the expensive IPD hose to flush the trans today in my '03 V70 T5. The car has 193k miles, plenty of dealer records. Saw a trans fluid change and software update in 2005 but that was it...

14 qts of Toyota Type IV later the trans is clean. Only $40 or so for the fluid using my employer's wholesale account. I couldn't believe the difference in shifting. Now the shifts are quicker and butter smooth. The torque converter locking and unlocking seems better as well. Overall, very happy I did it and give kudos to Volvo/Aisin-Warner to building a transmission that is fine being flushed at 193k with irregular change intervals.

We didn't have enough fluid to change my techs' Flash/Atacama V70R Geartronic but did do the angle gear, Haldex, and rear diff fluid. Trans flush coming next week on that car...with 122k on it.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dont' follow the IPD instructions, they're for the 850 and will hose you with trans fluid. I found it easier to remove the splash pan and get to the lower radiator hose from underneath.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I am about to tackle this myself as I just bought a 2003 XC70 last week with 189K Miles on it and no records.

If you have no idea how long the fluid has been in there & it could have been 9 years and 190K, I would perform a dump n fill 3X instead of a flush. You don't want to dislodge bits that can hose the tranny later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you have no idea how long the fluid has been in there & it could have been 9 years and 190K, I would perform a dump n fill 3X instead of a flush. You don't want to dislodge bits that can hose the tranny later.
I've debated this the last few days. The reason I'm leaning toward doing the full change out is because I think that the fluid has been changed before and most likely more than once. At 189K the cars exterior looks new and the interior is in extremely good condition. It seems as though it was always garaged and spent its entire life in Jacksonville, FL according to the Auto Check records. The engine is spotless as is the underneath and it runs like it is on rails. I averaged 26.9 mpg for 1000 miles driving it home. The transmission shifts perfectly and does not slip.
I'm basically wanting to baseline this car and thought that doing the full trans flush would be a good start?
If I'm wrong please let me know. I'm a huge Land Cruiser guy and this is my first Volvo.

Benjie Edmonson
Photographer
www.benedmonsonPHOTO.comm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
At 190k, do the drain and fill several times. Not the power flush.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The tranny running great and like new after its valve body was replaced.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I did my fill and drain this weekend as well. Went to the local pick and pull and scored the tranny oil return line. Cut it so I had about 6 inches of the hose, and then went to Home Depot and bought 5 feet of hose that was a perfect slip fit. Didn't even need a hose clamp! My fill funnel is CarQuest PN 30067. It is the perfect length with the perfect diameter. You still need to pour in the oil slowly, as it will leak slightly if you rush the job. This was the easiest fill and drain, I've ever done. Pump out 2 quarts into measured 1 gallon container, then back fill 2 quarts.

Jerry

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did my flush and fill yesterday! I replaced exactly 4 quarts on the nose. I did this 3 times for a total of 12 quarts. I used the funnel from Wal-Mart that allowed me to put fluid back in thru the dipstick hole. This worked perfectly when I discovered that the funnel has a twisting mechanism on it that allows you to control the amount of fluid passing through the funnel.
I can tell a huge difference in shifting now. You almost don't feel it shift as it is so smooth. I'm glad I did the drain and fill vs. the flush as the fluid was very black indicating most likely that it was the original.
2003 XC70 190K miles.

Thanks for the help.

Benjie Edmonson
Photographer
www.benedmonsonPHOTO.comm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Glad it is all working well now. Mine was a revelation after gotten its valve body replaced. Shifts like new.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts